Official Android discussion thread

Flashed my Hero to Villian ROM 5.4. It's an Android 2.1 ROM. So far it's been really fast, feature-rich and stable. Gonna check out some more 2.1 ROMs tomorrow. I don't think it makes sense to use 1.5-1.6 ROMs anymore with Anrdoid 2.1 ROM all over the place.

I don't have a nandroid backup of my official ROM. Will I be able to update to official Android 2.1 when it comes out?

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Odd I havent had this happen yet. Things Ive so far :-

I'm definitely getting a longer batter life D: . Not sure how but I just am.
Wireless Connection works flawlessly . Earlier it would randomly disconnect me even if I was right ont he access point.
My phone is faster than it was with the earlier mod.
The camera preview is botched up but I can live without it.
Having that app2SD thing integrated in the Menu is really nice. Is that a Cyanogen thing or it a 2.1 feature?
Maps as wallpaper is working fine.
I kind of hate the number which displays on top of the battery .. I mean its a small icon but he font sort of makes it look hideous. I wish there was a way to integrate the htc sense widgets in here.

ROM is really nice considering its beta. Heck some of the finished ROMs are not as good as this Beta.

When I toggle apndroid for GPRS its unable to connect to Edge service. If I restart the phone it works perfectly for few hours and then again GPRS connectivity becomes choppy:-x. Otherwise everything else is top notch including wifi. I had 'SuperEclair (2.1)' for a while and I had the same issues there too.

BTW app2sd is not a 2.1 feature; its an enhancement in Cynogen ROM by another modder called Chris Soyars!

Flashed my Hero to Villian ROM 5.4. It's an Android 2.1 ROM. So far it's been really fast, feature-rich and stable. Gonna check out some more 2.1 ROMs tomorrow. I don't think it makes sense to use 1.5-1.6 ROMs anymore with Anrdoid 2.1 ROM all over the place.

I don't have a nandroid backup of my official ROM. Will I be able to update to official Android 2.1 when it comes out?

So finally you have discoverd that perfect ROM for your phone? :razz:

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
While trying to Google my way out of the problem mentioned above I stumbled upon something interesting. Thought to share:

Type *#*#4636#*#* on your dial pad. Among other things you can also do a ping test with your cell tower :). I am not sure if you guys already knew about it or if this is an standard USSD command anyways I wasn't aware.

jain_pranav

Broken In
@amitabhishek

Thanks alot buddy..this command gave loads of options in my spica regardin battery,usage etc.
didnt knw abt this command :)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
While trying to Google my way out of the problem mentioned above I stumbled upon something interesting. Thought to share:

Type *#*#4636#*#* on your dial pad. Among other things you can also do a ping test with your cell tower :). I am not sure if you guys already knew about it or if this is an standard USSD command anyways I wasn't aware.

That was new...thanks for sharing info amitabhishek....though it refuses to work on Nokia (atleast not on N85 and 3500C)

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
That was new...thanks for sharing info amitabhishek....though it refuses to work on Nokia (atleast not on N85 and 3500C)

:) Good you liked it.

BTW anyone tried new Skyfire browser for Android. Heard it can play Flash Videos:). I am downloading.

Download link; not available in market as yet(not at least at the time of posting.

Edit: 1st observation; Its light and very fast. Couldn't check the video part since I am behind office firewall. Great app. as of now!

Last edited:

walkmanguru

Broken In

doesnt work on my phone, mayb its only for android

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Re: Android beats iPhone for second spot

This piece of news delighted me no end :)

*news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20004585-266.html

According to NPD, devices running Android accounted for 28 percent of the units sold to U.S. consumers in the first quarter of 2010. BlackBerry devices made by Research In Motion, which use RIM's homegrown operating system, took the top spot with 36 percent of the U.S. market. Apple's iPhone, which had been in the No. 2 spot previously, fell to third place with 21 percent of the market.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
One more thing X10 sucks at.. Being rooted! *twitter.com/PaulOBrien/status/13795201011

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

More! *twitter.com/PaulOBrien/status/13795742085

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Hmm.. From what i understand from Paul's post, it will be almost impossible to root the phone! I may be wrong though :p

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Without a boot loader its very difficult to hack though rooting may just be possible. I mean how can't they not have a boot loader on an open source Linux phone:C_answering:.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hey guys, does any post in this thread have a list of favourited apps (by TDF members). I just moved to Android and it wil be hard to go through the huge thread to find good list of apps.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
hey guys, does any post in this thread have a list of favourited apps (by TDF members). I just moved to Android and it wil be hard to go through the huge thread to find good list of apps.
The post that has a few applications in it
Also you reminded me that I should be creating an index for this thread like the Samsung Spica one. Ill do that as soon as I can :) . Congrats on your purchase. I have a ton of applications installed.
1. Apndroid
2. WorldTime
3. Chess
4. OI Shopping List
5. Shazaam
6. Touiteur
7. DaraIrc
8. Wireless Tether
9. Wallpaper Apps
10. CM Updater (I'm using Cyanogen's ROM for htc Magic)
11 Picsay

You will find tons of good applications between the free list of applications and if you resort to other methods well lets just say that the only shortage you would probably find is probably a all in one media player.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
The post that has a few applications in it
Also you reminded me that I should be creating an index for this thread like the Samsung Spica one. Ill do that as soon as I can :) . Congrats on your purchase. I have a ton of applications installed.
1. Apndroid
2. WorldTime
3. Chess
4. OI Shopping List
5. Shazaam
6. Touiteur
7. DaraIrc
8. Wireless Tether
9. Wallpaper Apps
10. CM Updater (I'm using Cyanogen's ROM for htc Magic)
11 Picsay

You will find tons of good applications between the free list of applications and if you resort to other methods well lets just say that the only shortage you would probably find is probably a all in one media player.

thanks da. let me try these apps.

Top Bottom