Nintendo Wii U - sequel to the smash hit Wii | No trolling

cyborg47

Technomancer
Then it is unfair to compare even the Wii to the PS3 and the Xbox. Most Wii games had lower budgets than PS3/X360 games.

Sure no problem, like I said, I don't mind if you or anyone compares the way they want to. I figured its a personal thing at the end ;)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Sure no problem, like I said, I don't mind if you or anyone compares the way they want to. I figured its a personal thing at the end ;)

Like I said, both the Wii and the handhelds did get AAA games, so your point about unfairness is moot. Nothing to do with personal opinion, and everything to do with fact ;)

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
Dunno why people bring up PS Vita. Handheld gaming is dead. That thing is an even bigger flop than Wii U. It has sold less units than Wii U in thrice as much time. Only 3DS is somehow surviving (selling well actually) and should be the last handheld console which actually sold well.

I had decided to drop out of the conversation but I hope that I can step back in and fork it here without any problems.

I think it would be a bit premature to pronounce handheld gaming dead. The usual argument is that mobile gaming has eaten away the audience, but the sales data do not back it up. The smartphones did not affect the DS and it turns out that they are not really affecting the 3DS. The DS sales did not fall off a cliff when smartphone gaming shot up like a rocket and the release of smartphones do not affect the sales of the 3DS as a platform at all. You never see even the slightest dip in sales because the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S4 came out. Although the touch generations games like Brain Age did not move units in the same way as with the DS, other games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf seem to have picked them up instead. According to Nintendo, the sales of the 3DS quadrupled the week AC:NL came out[SUP][1][/SUP]. Whenever a new game comes out, the 3DS sales spike. Fire Emblem: Awakening has become the best selling Fire Emblem to date[SUP][2][/SUP] and its release in the UK caused the platforms sales to rise by 50%[SUP][3][/SUP]. As you can see in chart below[SUP][4][/SUP], even after the price drop, the sales would slowly return to the baseline, if not for the consistent releases, until Mario Kart 7 came out, which caused sales to skyrocket.

*www.screwattack.com/sites/default/files/image/images/News/2011/1206/dr_mk7_chart.jpg

Even the Vitas sales were bumped when games came out for it[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP].

The NPD and Media Create data seems to suggest that overall software sales have dropped a bit, but they do not track digital sales.

Although the mobile and handheld gaming market have a overlap, the mobile market destroying handheld gaming makes as much sense as PC destroying Console and vice-versa.

The reason the Vita has failed to take off even after the price cut is that Sony failed to consistently release titles on the platform to sustain interest in it, unlike the 3DS which had games like Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64, Super Mario 3D Land, Devil Survivor Overclocked and Mario Kart 7.

I'd say that the race to the bottom on mobiles[SUP][7][/SUP] and the rising development costs on PC and Consoles[SUP][8][9][10][/SUP] have ensured that the handheld market will be there for quite some time. If eleventy billion dollars[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] is spent on developing a game, it cannot be expected to recoup costs without being a large blockbuster, something games like Shin Megami Tensei and Virtue's Last Reward are not and (even if controllers are standardized) the mobile audience is not receptive to such games and almost certainly will be unwilling to put down $40 - $50 for them. Nintendo and Sony will most likely not stop making and supporting their handhelds because their games like Tearaway(Vita, hopefully) and Mario Kart 7(3DS) earn them more money than they possibly could make on mobiles. In the end the gamers go where the games are. Once the audience for such games die out, handhelds will.

[1] *twitter.com/gibbogame/status/344857056915894274
[2] Fire Emblem 3DS Sweeps Japan, PS Vita Sales Down - IGN
[3] UK Software Charts: Injustice Gods Among Us Debuts At Number 1 « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog
[4] Historical Media Create data. Available at m-create.com
[5] Japan chart: Persona 4 revives Vita sales • News • PlayStation Vita • Eurogamer.net
[6] ￾¡￾T‚̃‰ƒ“ƒLƒ“ƒO | ƒ￾ƒfƒBƒAƒNƒŠƒGƒCƒg
[7] Refers to the fact that on mobiles most games costs range from 0.00 - 4.99 and the increased reliance on things like in app purchases and microtransactions.
[8] *www.develop-online.net/news/43214/Kotick-Rising-next-gen-dev-costs-inevitable
[9] *www.develop-online.net/news/43407/EA-predicts-development-costs-for-PS4-will-rise
[10] The Rise of Costs, the Fall of Gaming | NES - notenoughshaders.com

Edit: So that this post isn't entirely off topic:

*www.nintendo-insider.com/2013/07/01/wii-u-sponsors-itv-4s-tour-de-france-2013-coverage/

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@dead5

Regarding the information about PS Vita nowadays compared to local 3DS sales is pretty competitive.

Japanese Sales Charts: Toukiden Prompts Vita to Surge - Push Square

Btw this thread is for discussing Wii U only and we've already went too off topic. Lets come back to the point and discuss Nintendo's current home console and not handhelds or its AAA games.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Btw this thread is for discussing Wii U only and we've already went too off topic. Lets come back to the point and discuss Nintendo's current home console and not handhelds or its AAA games.

Agreed, although I must add that I do think Vita sales will increase a fair bit given the number of announcements at anime expo after those games start releasing.

But 30k vs 50k is still not competitive. You want ~40-42 to have a chance. I would like to see how the sales sustain for the next few weeks before commenting on whether the PS Vita will become competitive in the near to immediate future.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Getting some indies to develop games for Vita would be a great move, given how creative they'd be compared to the games made by the gaming giants. Which leads to another question, why hasn't Minecraft made its way to vita? It would a great game to play on it.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Getting some indies to develop games for Vita would be a great move, given how creative they'd be compared to the games made by the gaming giants. Which leads to another question, why hasn't Minecraft made its way to vita? It would a great game to play on it.

There are a lots of indie devs for Vita :|
Actually there is a shortage of "Normal" publishers for Vita

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Iwata: Third Party Wii U Launch Titles Could Not Enjoy Brisk Sales As Many Were Ports

Is Mr. Iwata right?? I honestly don't think so. Third party sales are equally important as First party ones. Infact third party games also play a big hand in expanding the install base imo. They are simply relying too much on their first party titles which isn't a smart move. Lets see what ubisoft's third party line-up do to the system.

A price drop will be quite good, similar in 3ds lines.

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Then should we be blaming the Sony's marketing team?

Partly. After all, they couldn't get bigger pubs and devs on board and have to make do with the small ones.

Iwata: Third Party Wii U Launch Titles Could Not Enjoy Brisk Sales As Many Were Ports

Is Mr. Iwata right?? I honestly don't think so. Third party sales are equally important as First party ones. Infact third party games also play a big hand in expanding the install base imo. They are simply relying too much on their first party titles which isn't a smart move. Lets see what ubisoft's third party line-up do to the system.

A price drop will be quite good, similar in 3ds lines.

I think you're misunderstanding him. What he is saying is that the backbone of launch and near-launch 3rd party titles on the platform are actually made up of ports from other consoles.

He isn't dismissing 3rd parties. He's saying that sales weren't good because most of those 3rd party titles were already available elsewhere, that is people already had them on other consoles.

Because they aren't making "fresh" stuff for the Wii U as much as they are for other platforms, Iwata is saying he has to rely on his own 1st and 2nd party titles in increase the install base. He would be extremely happy if more 3rd parties make new games for the Wii U.

Ubisoft has said that the Wii U version will be the best version of Watch_Dogs, so you should have good expectations for that.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Ubisoft has said that the Wii U version will be the best version of Watch_Dogs, so you should have good expectations for that.

That seems a bit exaggerated to me. I don't think the wii-u version is going to surpass the ps4 or xbox one versions in terms of visual prowess. It would be quite a feat if it manages to outdo the PS3 version of watchdogs.

Lets wait and watch this space.

cyborg47

Technomancer
That seems a bit exaggerated to me. I don't think the wii-u version is going to surpass the ps4 or xbox one versions in terms of visual prowess. It would be quite a feat if it manages to outdo the PS3 version of watchdogs.

That would be the PC version. Remember the E3 2012 demo? The game looked significantly downgraded during the E3 2013 demos.

May be that has something to do with the tablet controller, using it for hacking and the other extra stuff. Even though its an annoyance to keep looking at the controller while playing the game, wonder how people are playing around that.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

I was talking about the included gameplay, not the visuals. The Wii U version according to them will make full use of the gamepad ;)

After all you're not playing a game only for it's eye candy right? Fun>>graphics, don't you agree? :)

That would be the PC version. Remember the E3 2012 demo? The game looked significantly downgraded during the E3 2013 demos.

May be that has something to do with the tablet controller, using it for hacking and the other extra stuff. Even though its an annoyance to keep looking at the controller while playing the game, wonder how people are playing around that.

Developers almost always show bull-shots in their E3 previews. The final game rarely looks visually as appealing as the E3 preview version.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Developers almost always show bull-shots in their E3 previews. The final game rarely looks visually as appealing as the E3 preview version.

Bullshots? Like rendered images? I'm talking about a full video reveal, played right on the screens in front of the audience. Its confirmed by Ubi though, that the 2013 versions were missing the AO and some other features from the 2012 version which was played on PC.

I was talking about the included gameplay, not the visuals. The Wii U version according to them will make full use of the gamepad ;)

After all you're not playing a game only for it's eye candy right? Fun>>graphics, don't you agree? :)

But constantly looking back and forth from the screen to the gamepad can get annoying as hell, breaking the immersion and eventually screwing up the fun factor as well, particularly for an immersive game like Watch Dogs.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Yeah was checking that now. The new version looked a bit washed. Maybe they can end up giving the original feel to the end product in consoles too.

But constantly looking back and forth from the screen to the gamepad can get annoying as hell, breaking the immersion and eventually screwing up the fun factor as well, particularly for an immersive game like Watch Dogs.

Yup, agreed.

It was no bull-shot:

[YOUTUBE]xU7WGAJPRRw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kPYgXvgS6Ww[/YOUTUBE]

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

It will not be immersion-breaking. You just need to play on the Wii U and see for yourself. If implemented correctly, the Wii U does not behave like a DS with an oversized main screen.

Monster Hunter and ZombiU are two good examples of that.

Lots of devs are tapping into portable devices to add gameplay elements in the 8th generation, and with the Wii U you will not even have to reach for your cellphone or something to do anything.

Bullshots? Like rendered images? I'm talking about a full video reveal, played right on the screens in front of the audience. Its confirmed by Ubi though, that the 2013 versions were missing the AO and some other features from the 2012 version which was played on PC.

Yeah was checking that now. The new version looked a bit washed. Maybe they can end up giving the original feel to the end product in consoles too.

It was no bull-shot:

[YOUTUBE]xU7WGAJPRRw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kPYgXvgS6Ww[/YOUTUBE]

I think I used the wrong word to describe what I mean- apparently bullshot refers only to doctored screenshots (according to wikipedia).

What I meant was that often what a game looks like in E3 is not what it looks like in the final retail version, and usually for the worse. Do note I am only talking about the console versions, and not the PC version.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
ZombiU Was “Not Even Close” to Profitable, No Plans for a Sequel

Actually poor sales of this game made ubisoft decide to make Rayman Legends a Multiplatform, instead of a wii-u exclusive.

SteamWorld Dig Dev: Wii U Is "Very Powerful", But Nintendo Is Struggling To Explain Its Appeal

This is so true. After all the ninty isn't that bad a console as a whole. It needs some groundbreaking titles and most importantly some new and innovative ip's.
The plan is to appeal to a wider customer base and be open to different genres like survival horror, action adventure with sci-fi elements ( a new metroid game) and others.
It should cater more to western audience which would make it a lot more appealing worldwide.

Platinum Games Says That The Wonderful 101 Doesn’t Need DLC

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Asda no longer selling Wii U consoles, games in supermarkets

UK retail behemoth Asda has removed Wii U games and consoles from its supermarket shelves.

The chain will continue to sell Wii U products online via its Asda Direct website, it told Eurogamer, but no longer through its stores.

"Asda continues to offer customers a selection of Wii U games and accessories through Asda Direct, but these ranges are currently not on offer in Asda shops," a spokesperson said.

Asda suspends Wii U stock

Retail giant Asda is no longer stocking Wii U consoles across its 555 retail outlets, dealing a new blow to Nintendo's bid to reverse the console's fortunes.