New Nokia Lumia 820 And 920

rider

as Kratos
*www.techtree.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_width_600/public/news/2012/9/A14GwhqCMAAI8wl.jpg%20large.jpeg
Nokia will introduce its latest Lumia 920 & 820 handset at a special event with Microsoft on Wednesday September 5th, we have learned. Images of the Lumia 920 & 820 leaked last week and we have been able to confirm them with multiple sources. The Lumia 920 will be Nokia's new flagship Windows Phone and will include some impressive hardware specifications to match. According to sources familiar with the company's Windows Phone plans, Nokia is packaging wireless charging with its Lumia 920 & 820.

Lumia 920 wireless charging support will be provided via an inductive method — lining the device up to the contacts on a charging pad. We're told it will support the Qi wireless power standard — making it compatible with other wireless charging products. Aside from the charging aspect, Nokia's Lumia 920 will also include 32GB of device storage, 1GB of RAM, and a 1.5GHz dual-core processor. We have also been able to confirm that it will include a 4.5-inch HD display.

One rumored aspect of the Lumia 920 is a PureView camera. We can confirm that Nokia will indeed brand its Lumia 920 camera as PureView, but that the camera will be an 8-megapixel one — not the 41-megapixel one found on the company's 808 PureView handset. Nokia is focusing on marketing the Lumia 920 as PureView thanks to some advancements in image stabilization and camera software that it plans to ship on the device. The front of the device will also include a 1.3-megapixel camera.

Lumia 820 on the other hand, will come with 8GB of built-in storage. The company is providing a microSD slot to expand this further. The device will feature a 1.5GHz dual-core processor and 1GB RAM just like its big brother, the Lumia 920. The Lumia 820 also allows for interchangeable rear covers in different colours, just like the Lumia 710.

We can't help but wonder if these indeed are the codenamed Arrow (Lumia 820) and Phi (Lumia 920) devices that Nokia plans to unveil, or will they have some other arrows in their arsenal (bad pun, sorry!). We'll just have to wait and watch!

*www.techtree.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_width_600/public/news/2012/9/A14E7xDCcAIPttH.jpg
It comes with new wireless charging pad technology.

Source: Verge & NDTV
Edit: rider

Last edited:
OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Seems Cool but they got less apps than ios or droid...

why people cares about apps that, much AFAIK every useful app is available for windows phone.

if the important everyday apps are there, nobody will complain.

really man every person just passes the comment that windows phone has less apps, but what special apps people use for android phone? huh Personally I use iOS.

Last edited:

pratyush997

Inactive
U neither did android our Apple in their early days
Those days are already passed...Now see whats in present...When You got Droid which can never be beaten in customization<Custom Roms...> and even iDevices owners (except some guyz) also Jail break their devices ....Why? cuz they want full control over their devices..n in WP7(currently in market) are completely locked out... No custom ROMs etc..u only got few settings to play with and same will be done with WP8 devices(Restriction with some few more customizations)...Even I got boored after a week working in it(on HP Tablet PC <TouchScreen> and Sammy)...Limited to few customization and over..Now plz dont say that "The problem is it ain't Droid, Its WP8" .... So as apple fans do- pay loyal fees to apple n get iDevice doesn't work always..Can you expect under clocking or OC'ing the CPU in ur Mobile or Tablet(Who knows better than u ...u got CM9 on ur Dell XCD35 )...

if the important everyday apps are there, nobody will complain.
why people cares about apps that, much AFAIK every useful app is available for windows phone.
:agreed: Apps may be available, But will they be free of cost...You know, everyone Knows... Whats piracy.<Sorry if I violated Rules>
really man every person just passes the comment that windows phone has less apps, but what special apps people use for android phone
Yeah They do. cuz there are many apps available for a single purpose...For e.g you may find many social networking apps in droid or ios but there are few in WP...
special apps people use for android phone
App launchers, etc.. well it comes under customization....

PS- I donno want to raise another War here on WP vs. Droid vs. iOS.....

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
One of my friend use nokia lumia 710 and he says almost all apps are available of use included social networking apps, and according to me customization and OC ruins battery, and originality of the phone. And please dont talk about piracy dude, you may be banned. (remove your post)

pratyush997

Inactive
^bro I myself played game on that lumia 710 and it lags.....its way weaker than omnia w ...tough both looks same on paper...I'm seriously dissapointed by ms n nokia...the way how they dumped wp 7.8 as final update for lumia 900(flagship device)...they may do they same with wp8 devices too.. see apple..even iphone 3gs is updated..n in droid ... no need of crappy ui on pure droid....get C roms..n under clocking cpu always save battery...
If one gets 30k lumia ..he just wont use it for making/receiving calls...
In terms of fluidity..JB does it well...wp tiles and so called metro/modern UI is just a eye candy...I got boored by wp7 in few mins man...but droid got potential...ics was awesome. n now jelly bean.ftw

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
^bro I myself played game on that lumia 710 and it lags.....its way weaker than omnia w ...tough both looks same on paper...I'm seriously dissapointed by ms n nokia...the way how they dumped wp 7.8 as final update for lumia 900(flagship device)...they may do they same with wp8 devices too.. see apple..even iphone 3gs is updated..n in droid ... no need of crappy ui on pure droid....get C roms..n under clocking cpu always save battery...
In terms of fluidity..JB does it well...wp tiles and so called metro/modern UI is just a eye candy...I got boored by wp7 in few mins man...but droid got potential...ics was awesome. n now jelly bean.ftw

okay, I don't have much idea about windows phone, I use iOS in my old iphone 4, i keep phones like a virgin no jail breaking stuff and all, as simple as I can keep. I used Xperia X10 before that and it sucks a lot, sony stuck me in android 1.6 for months. I will soon get some good phone in the end of this year may be new iphone 5, i just read news that its gonna be show case on 12 sept, can't wait!

What is the expected Price of the Yellow Piece ??

:rofl: yellow piece would cost 30k like Lumia 800 last year.

Riddick_RJ

Right off the assembly line

ok..I've been using omnia W for 4 months now, and it's as smooth as I expected. I'm not sure how the 710 with the same RAM and proccy spec can lag; maybe that's a faulty piece? Cos there are a few 710 user in our campus, never heard them complain about lag tbh.
You call metro UI as eye candy while many others consider it extremely useful and a refreshing change from the 1000s of identical looking droid UIs.

and the bold part just gave you away...man I've been following this forum for quite sometime now, and I'm tired seeing every windows phone thread being hijacked by some android fanboys. If you are so bored with WP, why bother commenting on them?
Call us crazy, but some of us really don't have that much time to fiddle around with our phones (C Roms and millions of apps). WP provides a stable, smooth experience with almost all the apps needed for daily use.Why don't we just appreciate it for once?

Hrishi

It was good step by Nokia not to integrate a Quad-Core proccy , instead stay put with a Dual Core.
Droids that have Quad-Core simply eat up too much , resulting in pathetic battery life.

I have also read that WP8 code is designed in such a way that it will utilize the hardware in much efficient manner than these Droids.Maybe we can expect improved battery life ..

Btw , the yellow thing is the Big brother , right ??? If yes then can we expect any WP8 under or around 20k ???

-----------------------
Btw , There will be no more of the "Patli Pin wala Charger." with this. :p :lol

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Yea, the yellow one with sharp edges is big brother Lumia 920 and the red one with blunt edges is lumia 820 which will cost under 20k for sure.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
820 under 20k? 920's expected pricing is around 35k considering the specs. 820 should cost around 30k or maybe 28k.

GSMArena lists 920's camera to be 12MP or better. and both ships with HD display. though the specs are incomplete and there are surely a ton of errors, i feel 35k is fair pricing for 920. Moreover it is powered by Snapdragon S4 Plus which means Krait and this mobile won't come cheap.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
820 under 20k? 920's expected pricing is around 35k considering the specs. 820 should cost around 30k or maybe 28k.

GSMArena lists 920's camera to be 12MP or better. and both ships with HD display. though the specs are incomplete and there are surely a ton of errors, i feel 35k is fair pricing for 920. Moreover it is powered by Snapdragon S4 Plus which means Krait and this mobile won't come cheap.
Lumia 820 has simple TFT LCD screen, same like lumia 710 comes with lumia 800, 920 is replacing lumia 800 and 820 is replacing lumia 710 of 2011 segments so I would expect it would come under 20k. See, Nokia is selling 1Ghz phone for 6k so 1.5Ghz dual core krait for 20k is not surprising for me. This is not android phone so nokia would launch it for cheap, remember last year nokia 710 was with 1.4Ghz single core processor at such a low price.

Hrishi

So they are basically trying to target the upper high-end market in smartphone segment.?? I think , With a Tag of 35k+ and 28k+ , it will be head on head with top end Droids.

Have they thought anything good about the lower end devices , I mean those within 10k-20k bucks???

This is not android phone so nokia would launch it for cheap, remember last year nokia 710 was with 1.4Ghz single core processor at such a low price.

I thought logically , Droids should have been cheaper as they are open-source. Don't they charge any license fee for MS WP ??

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Right now these two phones are gonna launch, no idea about cheaper ones. And as the condition of nokia right now, they need to stay in the market by its high specs and low prices. If they try to compete with high end android phones, they will bankrupt soon.

Hrishi

Samsung has already revealed its WP8 device in the market. Has that been successful till now ??
I don't know much about WP8 practically , but if it really proves the way it is on paper , then it really deserves the chance to show-off its efficiency.

The best thing I read about it , is that we can re-use the app codes from WP7 as well as most of the Windows 8 Desktop Ed , since it runs the same Kernel as current line of MS desktop . I.E. Windows NT , instead of Windows CE previously.

I believe we can port most of the apps directly from Windows 8 to WP8.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Lumia 820 has simple TFT LCD screen, same like lumia 710 comes with lumia 800, 920 is replacing lumia 800 and 820 is replacing lumia 710 of 2011 segments so I would expect it would come under 20k.

i think 920 is replacing 900 (which was never released here) and 820 is replacing 800. 710 will remain as it is, as of now. but the kind of resolution it has and if it really packs Pureview tech (no idea what kind of enhancement will work on 8MP camera), no way can it sell for less than 25k.

See, Nokia is selling 1Ghz phone for 6k so 1.5Ghz dual core krait for 20k is not surprising for me.

please do a bit of googling. Krait is better than tegra 3. it murders Exynos 4 Quads. and the 600Mhz processor on Explorer murders the 1Ghz on the Asha crap mobiles. its not about just clockspeed. you'll know better as nowadays mobiles have evolved to computer/laptop level including the processor design methodology.

This is not android phone so nokia would launch it for cheap, remember last year nokia 710 was with 1.4Ghz single core processor at such a low price.

710 is still selling cheap. Nokia knows how they sell the mobile for such low pricing. but with Windows Phone you pay license fee to M$. The processor is extremely restricted and so is the memory and other things. this limit where they can cut price else Samsung would have launched a Omnia Young priced at 6-7k by now packing a 3" crappy display.

But better to limit talks about upcoming mobile for now as both their specs are not confirmed. Every site has their own set of specification.

So they are basically trying to target the upper high-end market in smartphone segment.?? I think , With a Tag of 35k+ and 28k+ , it will be head on head with top end Droids.

if you got to tell the world that you are back, you need to shout at the top of the voice. yes it'll go head to head against the droids and if it fails, its game over for Nokia. Not everyone like Android.

Have they thought anything good about the lower end devices , I mean those within 10k-20k bucks???

read in softpedia that Lumia 610's successor is coming with WP7.8 which means no WP8 for lowend (or even midrange mobiles) for now. Once the highend ones are out, surely Nokia will launched midrange mobiles but maybe lowend (sub 15k) ones will have to content with WP7.8 and Tango which also means no memory card, no BT sharing, Zune dependency, etc. And more late is Nokia bringing lowend WP8 mobiles, more money they'll loose.

I thought logically , Droids should have been cheaper as they are open-source. Don't they charge any license fee for MS WP ??

open source but android is not same as Windows. It is not possible to take a mobile and flash Android. It takes time to compile and test for stability, bugs. Moreover all manufactures have the habit of adding a UI layer on top and their own apps so cost is mainly for R&D.