Nehru Place among world's top 30 notorious IT markets: Report

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
C'mon apart from some Microsoft & Adobe products all are subsidized keeping the Indian buyer in mind. An AAA title costing $59.99 can't be converted to Rs. 999, it's the cheap mentality of people.

And look at songs market, most online retailers providing high quality FLAC/mp3 s for Rs.5/6 & still people are keen on piracy

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
Ignoring the shameless claims to pirate by NoasArcDevil, I would like to say a few things about Nehru Place where I went a couple of times in last month.

1. Its hard to find stuff:
I am surprized to find out that even in the most famous IT markets in our country, I can't find some hardware like a Seasonic or Antec PSUs.

2. Calls of "Software Lelo" still exists:
I used to witness guys screaming "Software lelo" all over NP around 2007. Yentivirus, Bindows, Fotoshop, just name it, and you shall get it. And it seems conditions have only gotten worse in last few years. Now they also say, "Check karwa ke denge!".
Being a software engg, watching such disrespect for Softwares pisses me off.

3. Unhygeinic environment:
The hygeine still sucks. From pan spits to garbage, it doesn't pleases the eye. With a market so renowed, I expected a bit better. But I guess I am just asking of too much.

4. Plus, I got my mobo E250N, Rs. 200 cheaper on FK. So much so for the biggest IT market! :p

Granted I got many components like a Dell IN2030 and APC 600 VA UPS on good price, but that was only because there was no major festival around, where they could hike up the price.

can't agree more with this guy.. :agreed:
i too was searching for razer naga, and was not able to find it on 95% of shops, the one that had stocks was one of my favorites "SMC International".
Also, there had been times since last 5 yrs, where i have to search almost whole market to find what i want in just 1-2shops..
Earlier in 2008-09, rates used to be pretty cheap there compared to other markets, but now i can find the same thing cheaper in Laxmi Nagar Computer market near my home than in nehru place, the proclaimed biggest IT market in Asia.. :p
Recently i think last year, police conducted a special drive there to remove those "S/w lelo" guys from there, and from then i see a decrease in number of those guys, but still their remains are visible, proudly shouting " Bindows 8 50rs.".. :-?
I don't know what to say, but in past 5 years, either Nehru place's repo has taken a deep plunge, or other markets have risen theirs.. :-?

amjath

Human Spambot
In order to eliminate pirates copy to windows, MS has a launched a promo offer for Windows 8 and that too u can upgrade Win 8 even though u have pirated win 7. What else u expect them to do.

bippukt

In the zone
C'mon apart from some Microsoft & Adobe products all are subsidized keeping the Indian buyer in mind. An AAA title costing $59.99 can't be converted to Rs. 999, it's the cheap mentality of people.

And look at songs market, most online retailers providing high quality FLAC/mp3 s for Rs.5/6 & still people are keen on pirate

I totally agree with you on the music part. Songs are being offered so cheap, yet people do not buy them. Of course, if you a decent internet connection, you can just use Youtube. Its legal and still free :)

However, I do not agree with your argument on the Games front. Maybe you have enough money to pay Rs 1499 for a game, but I don't. The 999 price worked great for me, but I will absolutely not buy a game priced at 1499. That us just too expensive for most of us in India, whether you agree or not. I don't know what EA are thinking, but I will not buy their games unless their price drops close to 999. I bought BF3 Premium Edition when it was offered for 900. Of course, with Steam and other Digital Download services, the incentive to buy games is great. $5 for Batman or Deus Ex Human Revolution or Mass Effect? Yes please!

What really irritates me is people spending 600-700 on a 2 hour movie (2 tickets plus cold drink/popcorn) plus transportation costs, but ask them to spend 800-900 for Max Payne or Assassin's Creed III, and they look at you as if you are stupid!

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
if proper Broad Band is introduced in India with good QoS + Steam Sales = less piracy

EA should consider their pricing around Rs.999

DDIF

Custom User Title
if proper Broad Band is introduced in India with good QoS + Steam Sales = less piracy

EA should consider their pricing around Rs.999

Things depend on different factors. You made a good point, what can you do if you can get cheap digital copies of softwares but you have to wait for 30 hours to download at current speed.
So many things need to be changed and improved. Ever since I started using Nextworld.in and Flipkart, I haven't used any pirated game or software. Either free or paid, no piracy.
Still I can't buy some softwares as I won't be able to download them with my current speed.

doomgiver

Warframe
I totally agree with you on the music part. Songs are being offered so cheap, yet people do not buy them. Of course, if you a decent internet connection, you can just use Youtube. Its legal and still free :)

However, I do not agree with your argument on the Games front. Maybe you have enough money to pay Rs 1499 for a game, but I don't. The 999 price worked great for me, but I will absolutely not buy a game priced at 1499. That us just too expensive for most of us in India, whether you agree or not. I don't know what EA are thinking, but I will not buy their games unless their price drops close to 999. I bought BF3 Premium Edition when it was offered for 900. Of course, with Steam and other Digital Download services, the incentive to buy games is great. $5 for Batman or Deus Ex Human Revolution or Mass Effect? Yes please!

What really irritates me is people spending 600-700 on a 2 hour movie (2 tickets plus cold drink/popcorn) plus transportation costs, but ask them to spend 800-900 for Max Payne or Assassin's Creed III, and they look at you as if you are stupid!
good point.
these people should realize that this is not the USA where people pay $5 for a cup of coffee without thinking or $10 for a bottle of coke.

$60 = 3000 rupees (AAA titles)

hell, people are not willing to pay that much for graphics cards. they certainly wont pay that much for a game.

Noah'sArcAngel made a VERY good point.
make good games, or die.

i actually paid for homefront game, and finished it in 4 hours.
i was so mad i threw the disc and stamped on it (thankfully it was just scratched in places, and i managed to gift it off)

not bought a single game since then, except the humble bundles

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
People usually pirate because they can't afford it.
Then it becomes a habit.
They love their pirated collections as well, and among friends, find it awesome to tell that they can get anything at all for free (obviously soft copy, no hardwares :p).

But no reasons can justify that pirating isn't stealing!
They know it, and they accept it.
But tagging yourself as a proud pirate publicly on a forum that is against piracy is just unacceptable!

+1.Now my friends when they ask my Game cds I can't give them, Its so hard to explain them DRM,CD-Key protected they can't understand all this.
Some even told me to pass me my full social id

Now see, around 60% don't understand Benfits of original, if they wait for steam sales,budles they can get the best deal ever
I got around 6-7 games for 300 BUCKS(THQ BUNDLE)

ridikulus

Banned
After reading most of the comments, i have something to share....... people dont realize that when they say that piracy hurts the software developers the statement is wrong.

Most of the commercially available software is published by billion dollar MNC's. For a software product retailing for 500$ say, they give 1% of the total 5 dollars per copy to the WHOLE DEV team.

so the MNC's are the ones who are keeping the majority of the profit and filling their coffers......

I think we need to keep the statement about how software piracy hurts devs out of our minds and think straight and clear for a moment.... most of the software made commercial.... where is it sold? ex if microsoft releases windows where is the maximum number of copies sold? in which country?

someone talked about software subsidy... let me ask you something... we are living in India... its a 3rd world country you cant compare the buying power with any developed nation like the USA. Computer components are already expensive here yet the software publishers expect us to buy original software for our machines....

i mean isnt it enough? shelling out 60k for a pc then another 10k for software? And why the compulsion? Why is a pirate branded a thief ? Tell me one company which gives the DEVS the fair share of profit....

The industry does not realize this and then they want to make profits from us...? And if they are so concerned about software piracy why is software export not allowed in certain countries? even if these countries have anti-american sentiments doesnt mean people dont have right to use the pc over there?

its time to stop being so naive....

Maybe its time you took a different stand towards piracy.... just because people say something doesnt mean you need to be guided by them. i dont support piracy but i dont think that people who are pirates also have a choice. No one wants to be the bad guy, but you have to understand what can be done and what cant...

Yes i dont think that each and every software should be pirated, but there are somethings which you have to do and some things you dont. If piracy wasnt so rampant in ASIA i guess we would still end up paying 10,000 rs for a original copy of windows.

SO dont BRAND A PIRATE A THIEF, just keep in mind you are also BENEFITING FROM THIS ACT. and so the guilt lies on you, for blaming the people who made your lives easier, so software products dont burn a hole in your pocket.

a

Last edited:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
We all are going way offtopic
Anyways @rid, Your kinda wrong, AFAIK there are few companies that are almost bankrupt due to piracy,some have even closed up Correct me if i am wrong

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
What makes more sense for developers -High price per copy and high piracy or lower income per copy but hopefully slightly less piracy?

Some of these softwares/games are priced just waaay too high for many to buy them. Though I wouldn't justify piracy, it isnt far from the truth that atleast part of the reason why people pirate is price. It becomes very easy for them to think "XYZ makes millions and I hardly a few hundred every month, whats the big deal if I get one copy for free?"

Game publishers, see how the Humble bundle performed and take note. I mean a game that costs half as much as the graphics card thats needed to play it doesnt sound like a convincing argument to buy.

ridikulus

Banned
this google search results makes a good read.

*programmers.stackexchange.com/ques...es-that-have-gone-out-of-business-due-to-pira

@offtopic whats with the random question ?

ridikulus

Banned
i just read this :

"

Why You Should Not Use Pirated Software
It is a crime. Laws are made to be enforced but many people take comfort in the fact that the police can’t arrest everyone (which the police would almost have to do when it comes to users, based on statistics). However – many, many people pay fines when they’re caught speeding so in the future it could become the norm. Even if you can get away with it, you should still be bothered by the fear you would feel when the police came knocking at your office or home.
Pirated software often contains viruses or malware that could e.g. turn your computer into part of a botnet, and thus usable remotely by hackers for other nefarious purposes, possibly even for organized crime.
Software companies are all impacted but the little guy is hit hardest – it’s not just faceless mega-corporations as many people justify to themselves; although as I point out above, they are the most capable of surviving to fight piracy with their deep pockets. The small and medium-size companies are a different story – with possibly only one software product to sell in limited distribution, they will usually need to charge a high price for their specialized software in order to recoup their investment. Illegal copies would cut off their only source of limited revenue and possibly force them to go bankrupt, as almost happened to Montreal-based SoftImage before it was purchased by Microsoft in the ’90s. Ironically, Microsoft then went on to pirate someone else’s software in an attempt to add value to the SoftImage product.
Criminals use pirated software to finance their activities e.g. Palestinian terrorists use it to finance their attacks on Israelis. Better think twice before buying some cheap CD on the 6th floor of the Central Bus Station in Tel Aviv.

"
taken from

Read more at: Is Software Piracy Really Theft? | JobMob

it is less than half the truth, and because of such arguments people think piracy is bad, no doubt it is bad but bad is also blaming piracy for all the spam / virus / terrorist attacks in the world.

ridikulus

Banned
+10000000000000000000000000000

1.are the mods sleeping,or in cryo-stasis?
2.exorbitant prices :rofl: too expensive? dont buy or "get". simple
can't do without it? :rolleyes: e.g people pirate MS OFFICE and say there is "no alternative",even if they know about OpenOffice. One more Example : people pirate a Rs299 game and say its too "expensive" if the game sells for rs 50 they will want it for rs 20
so the point is
YOU ARE A SHAMELESS THIEF
Not like the other thiefs here who have atleast some amount of shame

if tomorrow someone falls ill in your family, and you have no money for medicine are you going to let them die? or if the medicine is to expensive you are going to let them die?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@ridikulus:
Being a pirate is one problem. Admitting it is another. But shouting, "Sue Me, since I am a pirate", is totally different case. This offtopic discussion began when someone indulged in the third case. Which totally isn't acceptable no matter whatever the argument.

sharang_3

Journeyman
at the end of the day if you cant afford it don't buy it but stop blaming developers for pricing games high..current games have 40-50million dollars as their budgets and hardly a few make profit..If piracy doesn't do anything why do we so many games going PS3 or Xbox exclusive? Ill give an example here..Suppose you can't afford a Mercedes so can't just steal it cz the company is rich anyways..And if people think pirating isn't equal to stealing that is being stupid..imagine i make a clone of that merc and drive it away..that makes the original merc unsold hence all the efforts and money used in r&d goes to waste. Please note that when one sells a game for $60 that isnt just the disc and the case, it includes the cost of all the development expenditure as well

ridikulus

Banned
at the end of the day if you cant afford it don't buy it but stop blaming developers for pricing games high..current games have 40-50million dollars as their budgets and hardly a few make profit..If piracy doesn't do anything why do we so many games going PS3 or Xbox exclusive? Ill give an example here..Suppose you can't afford a Mercedes so can't just steal it cz the company is rich anyways..And if people think pirating isn't equal to stealing that is being stupid..imagine i make a clone of that merc and drive it away..that makes the original merc unsold hence all the efforts and money used in r&d goes to waste. Please note that when one sells a game for $60 that isnt just the disc and the case, it includes the cost of all the development expenditure as well

you talk about profits, game budgets may be 40-50 million dollars, but just look at the number they sell..... what you are saying is wrong, pc exclusives cant be made because of hardware limitations and dont put piracy in between it has nothing do to with piracy. Same case with Ios and Android, a 4s may play a game butter smooth that the lg nexus 4 cant.

pirating is not stealing, its the people who publish the software steal from both - money from people like you and me (consumers) and devs ( skills and resources ).

yeah, when you start manufacturing units in millions a game which sells for 60$, disc cost and case work out < 8$ ....

Top Bottom