Nehru Place among world's top 30 notorious IT markets: Report

bippukt

In the zone
at the end of the day if you cant afford it don't buy it but stop blaming developers for pricing games high..current games have 40-50million dollars as their budgets and hardly a few make profit..If piracy doesn't do anything why do we so many games going PS3 or Xbox exclusive? Ill give an example here..Suppose you can't afford a Mercedes so can't just steal it cz the company is rich anyways..And if people think pirating isn't equal to stealing that is being stupid..imagine i make a clone of that merc and drive it away..that makes the original merc unsold hence all the efforts and money used in r&d goes to waste. Please note that when one sells a game for $60 that isnt just the disc and the case, it includes the cost of all the development expenditure as well

Let's step away from the discussion of piracy.

Pricing games at 3000-3500 ($50-60)in India means that you have restricted your potential market to a very tiny fraction of well to do people. Do you honestly believe that an ordinary middle-class person earning 30k a month can afford a game priced at 3k? Do you honestly believe that if the same game were available for 1k, it wouldn't drastically increase his capacity to buy it? If companies price software and games without taking into account the living standard of a country, then they are going to fail.

The only reason I didn't buy an XBOX 360 or a PS3 and stuck with my PC was that the console games were priced extremely high. PC games for 1k each, however, I could buy several a month.

ridikulus

Banned
at the end of the day if you cant afford it don't buy it but stop blaming developers for pricing games high..current games have 40-50million dollars as their budgets and hardly a few make profit..If piracy doesn't do anything why do we so many games going PS3 or Xbox exclusive? Ill give an example here..Suppose you can't afford a Mercedes so can't just steal it cz the company is rich anyways..And if people think pirating isn't equal to stealing that is being stupid..imagine i make a clone of that merc and drive it away..that makes the original merc unsold hence all the efforts and money used in r&d goes to waste. Please note that when one sells a game for $60 that isnt just the disc and the case, it includes the cost of all the development expenditure as well

and anyways case of cars and computers is totally different, someone once said that if " If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. "

ridikulus

Banned

according to the logic you are giving soon software which serves the same purpose as a software which you have to buy will also be considered piracy? its like i buy windows use it as a os, then i get linux that i use as an os.... so i am helping reduce sales of microsoft windows by using a FREE OS, so that is piracy now...

now i really understand why this country is going to the dogs.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
.current games have 40-50million dollars as their budgets and hardly a few make profit..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I disagree. If all the people who pirate stop using the game altogether, the developer is not going to make one penny more than he is doing already. And in such a scenario, pricing the games even higher and thereby indirectly feeding piracy is not the most brilliant of ideas. But what if the developer prices it lower, according to the markets? I have reason to believe that the sales will increase. It may not be enough to offset the reduction in price, but there has to be a sweet spot somewhere in the middle. Like it or not, these people who used pirated software, most of the times, do it because of the price.

Friends of mine who used to use pirated copies of antivirus, have now started buying them. Because they are comparatively cheap and easily available. Of course there are always some who will never buy stuff if they can get it for free, but the point I wish to make is that pricing the copies high is not the smartest thing to do in a market where the penetration of piracy is as high as India.

ridikulus

Banned
if software companies are so worried about piracy why not put in stricter regimes.. like DRM? why are they afraid? its because they will lose their base

@ridikulus:
Being a pirate is one problem. Admitting it is another. But shouting, "Sue Me, since I am a pirate", is totally different case. This offtopic discussion began when someone indulged in the third case. Which totally isn't acceptable no matter whatever the argument.

what i dont understand is that how he or she is doing anything wrong...? are you moral police? everyone has the right to voice their opinion even if against the law or rules in this case i guess.... ?

and how is it damaging you?? ..... talk about making mountains out of mole hills.

reported
look who's talking :lol:
and if you feel its not "worth". it still lies in your computer and you still use the Software/game
basically all your dialogues are just paltry efforts at defending your vice
if you were in a country whose lawmakers are not illiterate fossils.a bunch of cyber security cops would've raided your home,seize your HDD and produce you in court

+1,Those are the people that are HIT because of people like PirateGuy
and in india specifically the employees of the distributors recieve low salary

yes thats why in the USA which i think has pretty strict law, people get arrested for downloading winrar? sheesh man..... how many people have been arrested for software piracy till date?

why dont software companies use formats like steam, unless you connect to the internet you cannot use the software...? there is so much software companies can do to prevent piracy... but no.... so if they dont care then why will the people? and lets face it no one is strict about anti-piracy... its a joke.

Since everyone on this forum is babbling about how piracy is bad .. i want to ask all of you 1 question.

If we lived in a world, where there was no software piracy... would you pay the exact retail amount for the software which is sold in a developed country?

I hope you answer this question honestly.

TheLetterD

Will Power
People want to buy Jaguars and Lamborghini but aren't ready to pay for petrol.
Yes, Windows and some of the professional grade software isn't subsidized in India, but Games are. I am really happy that I can get (Not so)old PC classics for so cheap (Crysis 1, Far Cry 2, GTA 4 etc for 250-400!) on sites like Flipkart. Otherwise the only place you found original games were in Music World and Planet Ms and Malls etc at full MRP!! No matter how old they were!
ANDDDDDDD I just went to the UK a few months back! There are big retail stores where you can buy used (TESTED) original Games at less than 1/2 the price! Even for PS3 and XBOX! I bought Crysis 2 for my uncle @12 Pounds(Roughly 1000 bucks)! FOR THE PS3! It was used, yes, but still almost scratch less! The thing is when hardcore gamers buy the game as soon as it launches and finish it overnight/in less than a week, they sell the game and get their moneys worth! :D How awesome is that, and you could get movies too! But no, you couldn't get Software! :p
But there are so many alternatives to those professional grade softwares! Yes they wont have the latest hitech flashy features, but then again youre not paying a dime for them are you? :)
And I think we are stretching this conversation a bit. People who are at-least ashamed about pirating software can be convinced to switch to original+free software. Not shameless ones who announce it like they deserve a Bravery medal for it. Sorry I know targeting a person is not allowed on this forum, so please DM me if you feel I should change/remove this part. Dont BAN me. LOL

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
If we lived in a world, where there was no software piracy... would you pay the exact retail amount for the software which is sold in a developed country?
I hope you answer this question honestly.

yes..since we pay the the same damn amount for a GAME...or for anything..any commodities..and as letterD suggested..we have the taste for Ferrari..but want subsidized petrol to run it....Grow up guys..if ya pirate(for whatever reason) dont try to claim a bravery award for it...if ya dont...thats good...
i could go on and on for this...but wouldn't add much to the discussion..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ridikulus,stop spreading your flawed sense of morality here.software/game/os is not your basic human right & you won't die because of lack of it unlike food,water & medical care.so what if games are overpriced,microsoft is profiting,blah,blah,blah..........in the end it all comes down to this:either you pay or you steal whatever the reason but in this case you can not justify your stealing by saying that if i hadn't stole it i would be dead.

@the letterD,don't worry about saying the correct thing.as you can see even mods agree with you(edited the tag to a rightly deserved one for the member who started this :lol: )

Last edited:

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
^ well some good docs works for free for those social camps held but the numbers are poor.

One good sign against piracy : i recently visited CTC market for a friend's laptop purchase & roamed for about 4hrs there and most of the retailers are insisting on buying Original Windows 8 for PC/Laptops

About dev companies they should do some market review in big cities& some small towns about the income of middle class consumers. That should make them understand that how hard it is for a person earning about $400/month, to purchase a $60 or $150 software.

Kirtu Jindal

Broken In
Two side to the argument - and both have valid points.

The people - the users in India - need affordable (even if not cheap) software solutions - the software companies ought to have realized that by now.

The developers and software companies - need to make money stay afloat and develop still new stuff.

A balance has to be found somewhere. That being said, the availability of affordable software will not entirely kill piracy - it never will.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
have a look at this thread & all links

To dev companies i can give them a good & efficient way to reduce their cost OPEN DEV CENTERS IN INDIA.
1. Land is free(cause most states are trying to grab a bite the profit of Software Industry), state govts are giving leases in practically cheap tend to free price
2. Vast office space can be build / bought for the same amount money they had to put up to setup an office for 50 people in US
3. Cheap quality brain power available
example :
for $500/month they can have a resource, same resource if they hire in US will cost them at least $40/hour

Last edited:

bippukt

In the zone
This is an interesting article. Is your experience the same as that of this blogger?

In defence of Nehru Place by WebWise : Javed Anwer's blog-The Times Of India

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I hope the proud pirate knows that criminals and organized crime use sales and distribution of pirated softwares and movies to earn money for their activities. You're basically funding for such people. If you're proud of that...well....

Some guy over here used the words "Oh the poor devs" I say "Oh the poor you! You don't get how it works, do you?".

If you don't like it, don't use it. If you can't afford it- unless you cannot find a free/cheaper option why use it?

Then again, piracy/downloading "stuff" is something many have done one day or the other. Its nothing to be proud of- but people do it for many reasons. Some say its expensive- (well- how many expensive softwares that are used by standard users? For specifically for work and all, people earn money out of it so its fair to pay for a genuine update)- some say its awfully convenient. Some say because of stuff like too much DRMs that affects their gameplay and stuff. Some also do it because you don't get those movies over here- either the quality that you get from movie disc publishers are not good or some lame censorship is done (their words, not mine), so they go the piracy download way.

Heck- companies do it too!!! You'll be surprised, major publications that run PC Hardware review magazines/websites in India use pirated/cracked benchmarking software too. I know :p. Many external storage drives landed in my place with those cracks- atleast couple of them had a sality virus too!! :D

Unless it affects that person as a software/game maker, people will have many ways to justify their "pride" by embracing piracy. On the bright side if you see people who now buy original software/ games have increased. So...

Last edited:

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
^
+10000000000000000
Why did'nt THIS guy post here in this forum earlier

if tomorrow someone falls ill in your family, and you have no money for medicine are you going to let them die? or if the medicine is to expensive you are going to let them die?
you little p***k
you are comparing BASIC Necessities like medicine,food etc to luxury items like games/movies/software? i pity you
if i/my family dont get games/movies/software we won't die
maybe you will ;-) :-D

so please DM me if you feel I should change/remove this part. Dont BAN me. LOL
hey mods are unpredictable,i got banned ,for 2 days for posting something "offensive" here i think against Mr.sue me im a pirate
worst thing i did'nt know that i was banned

This is an interesting article. Is your experience the same as that of this blogger?
the blogger is *cough* CHIP's *cough* india editor

Top Bottom