My new software... for movie collectors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jal_desai

In the zone
Well this time i have made something for the movie lovers.. i think almost all of you here are one... I think my new software will be very helpful to you. Introducing, Movie Collection (duh! couldnt think of a nice name... but who cares!) I have seen many such softies but they are rather bulky. So i wanted to make one which is rather minimalistic and serve the basic purpose.

I think you all must be having a huge collection of Movies and u must be regularly backing them up on CDs/DVDs. This softie will store which movie is in which DVD so u dont have to search your DVD colection physically. If your collection grows beyond limit, dont worry. There is search option too. Now if you want to search a movie online you can search a particular movie on IMDB, NetFlix, Google or Yahoo Movies. Just add new movie in the grid...

Moreover, i included something very useful. I have a huge collection of DVDs and my friends take away my DVDs often. :x and the worst part is i dont remember where is my particular DVD. so i included an option to enter the persons name who took away your DVD on a particular date... SO THT U CAN BUST HIM LATER ON.. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19.gif

*img222.imageshack.us/img222/8729/moviecollectionyx4.th.png

Download it Here (just 286 KB)

NEW UPDATE BELOW

I have uploaded a new update to the original software I posted before.

Changes:
Search option is now more robust and accurate.
XML handling done more sophistically.

*img84.imageshack.us/img84/3643/50265100yn7.th.png*img84.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

DOWNLOAD VERSION 1.3 (NEW VERSION)

Note: This is just an update to the original software and contains only the EXE file. You just need to replace the original EXE with this one. I have NOT uploaded the XML file (assuming u have downloaded the first version mentioned above) but this XML file is a must. If you are downloading for the first time, it is very important that you download the original version first and then replace the EXE file with this one, else the program will fail to launch.

plz mind it tht it is very very minimalistic because i hate fuss...
I m still developing it more and thinking of what new features to include. Please suggest me some too...
Your comments and suggestions are most welcome... thnks

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Awesome! Simply awesome! But 1 thing, I got DVDs that have around 4 movies on each of them, how do I classify them? 1 disk 4 movies. Something for that?

OP
jal_desai

jal_desai

In the zone
Awesome! Simply awesome! But 1 thing, I got DVDs that have around 4 movies on each of them, how do I classify them? 1 disk 4 movies. Something for that?

u hit the right spot. even i have the same condition.. if u see the screenshot again... i m using the same disc no for many movies... Or rather u can use disc no one time and fill all four movies in tht movies cell beside it... but is giving problems when searching... i m trying to rectify it... it took a hell lot just for tht search thing... Right nw search is applicable to movie name only... i m workin on it.. thnks for liking it

I like its simplicity.

thnks...

^Thanks Jal. Any Linux port yet?

nice software, a linux port will be good ;p

as u may have guessed it, i have made this on C#.nET. if i get time i will make it on Java too so tht it can work on Linux too right?

Last edited:

Bandu

Journeyman
Call it Movie Colib. Its Movie collection and a kind of collaborator / library.

Nice work. Keep it up.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
U made this in C#.net, I can help U in making the GUI better. Since it is MSIL only, You can convert it to WPF easily (code behind files are same). Want me to work with U to make it a better application? (I m sitting idle at home these days doing just 3D work)

OP
jal_desai

jal_desai

In the zone
U made this in C#.net, I can help U in making the GUI better. Since it is MSIL only, You can convert it to WPF easily (code behind files are same). Want me to work with U to make it a better application? (I m sitting idle at home these days doing just 3D work)

sure why not.. i have a faint idea abt WPF.. never tried though...

Nice work Jai..

BTW, for Linux porting, try Mono

thnks man... and by the way.. i m JaL not Jai :)

hey i saw ur website... awesome man.. too good. can u focus on Microsoft Blend and wats it all about...

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Simple but elegant. I had developed a similar app too in VB.net and SQL for cataloguing my collection. But, it didn't have the IMDb search. Now I am using Med's Movie manager alongwith CD Catalog Expert.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Well this time i have made something for the movie lovers.. i think almost all of you here are one... I think my new software will be very helpful to you. Introducing, Movie Collection (duh! couldnt think of a nice name... but who cares!) I have seen many such softies but they are rather bulky. So i wanted to make one which is rather minimalistic and serve the basic purpose.

I think you all must be having a huge collection of Movies and u must be regularly backing them up on CDs/DVDs. This softie will store which movie is in which DVD so u dont have to search your DVD colection physically. If your collection grows beyond limit, dont worry. There is search option too. Now if you want to search a movie online you can search a particular movie on IMDB, NetFlix, Google or Yahoo Movies. Just add new movie in the grid...

Moreover, i included something very useful. I have a huge collection of DVDs and my friends take away my DVDs often. :x and the worst part is i dont remember where is my particular DVD. so i included an option to enter the persons name who took away your DVD on a particular date... SO THT U CAN BUST HIM LATER ON.. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19.gif

*img222.imageshack.us/img222/8729/moviecollectionyx4.th.png

Download it Here (just 286 KB)

plz mind it tht it is very very minimalistic because i hate fuss...
I m still developing it more and thinking of what new features to include. Please suggest me some too...
Your comments and suggestions are most welcome... thnks

Take a look at Advanced Disc Catalogue if you need any more info on such tools

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Sorry for the delay in reply. I was busy with some personal work.

See, I am a GUI Designer but don't know much about programming except the basic nomenclature which we need in WPF designing (like what is a function etc).

I am trying your software right now & we can make it much better. Plz give me some days so that I can give U a mock render made in Photoshop for every window & page of this software also adding what I think should be there.

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Dude!!! I've been doing a similar software too, except its strictly for pr0n, and my soft's features include screenshots and writing comments. Titles dont mean much in pr0n unlike conventional movies, so I thought you can mark them with your tags so that you can understand, and a couple of screenshots for each to identify them. Also you can write the name of the dvd you stored them on for future reference.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
^^

u meant a cover feature.. and a synopse section... nice feature that will be..

@jal ...

i have upto 6 movies in 1 DVD....
it would be nice..if u can use a List control to store the movie names as child nodes and a single disc name as the root node.. and if u use that MFC u wont be having much problem in search too as it is natively supported by it ....

and i cant download it..it just shoes loading file...

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Something I thought & made in last 1.5 hrs. The design is 3% complete. I m still thinking of a better layout.

*img167.imageshack.us/img167/6167/render1de0.th.jpg

I have a better name for this application, "Disk Rack". How is it?

This is the 2nd render of the application Window. Jai, these are the only features so far I could think of from such applications. Can you code it in WPF??? To decide features further we will need to talk.

*img122.imageshack.us/img122/8797/render2nm9.th.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom