Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
As I told earlier, Avatar is not a right movie to watch in 3D. This disappointed me. Even the ad for G-Force in 3D was more thrilling than Avatar...

This is a perfect movie for HD
I'm totally confused by this statement of yours. Care to explain why is it not right to watch this movie in 3D? And NO, I don't mean the vague explanation you posted earlier.

red dragon

Master troll
My all time favs
1.clockwork orange
2.pulp fiction
3.trainspotting
not in any particular order,trainspotting is probably the best.WATCH IT it is a beautiful movie,not very popular though.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
AVATAR is definately THE movie to watch in 3D, only and only if it is viewed with proper projection technology, which unfortunately India does not have. JC made this movie specifically to be viewed in 3D and that is why shot/recorded in native digital 3D. India does not the the projection technology to project the Digital 3D version of AVATAR. And with the normal film based projection not only did it looked dull even the colors were washed out, and since no cinima hall uses circular polorization glases the field of vision
was also limited for that "perfect" 3D viewing.

Just compare 2D HD version of the same and you will know the difference.
I'll leave those technical jargon's aside and speak as a normal audience member. I went in with minimal expectations for the movie and came out rather amazed by what was done with it. Sure the loss of true colours were evident, but what counted was the experience that Cameron wanted to show us. He wanted to lead us into an unknown world of Pandora and make sure we notice the detailing he had done in creating that world.

There was not a single point in the entire movie, that I felt left I was out of that world. The level of involvement was present and also happens to be one the things which is crucial in a 3D environment. I did crib about the poor colours, dull contrast, some blurry parts etc. in the beginning, but all of that went away when we are introduced to the Na'vi's location. It was gorgeous. If you have seen the movie in 3D, then you can't deny how beautiful it was, albeit all these abysmal faults you mentioned.

If you are referring to watching this movie in 2D HD, then I would rather not. For the very simple reason being, it is meant to be experienced in 3D, and 3D only. I don't care if India doesn't have XYZ technology to give the ultimate experience. To me, the experience was flawless. I wouldn't even bother watching it in a 2D cinema, leave alone 2D Blu-Ray.

The point rhitwick was trying to make, I believe, was about the level of involvement in the action part, which to me didn't feel like an appropriate response. Hence my question to him.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Guys who have seen Avatar 3D version

were the goggles plain Red/Cyan glasses or active shutter goggles?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I'm totally confused by this statement of yours. Care to explain why is it not right to watch this movie in 3D? And NO, I don't mean the vague explanation you posted earlier.
Sam already explained it there...

I'll leave those technical jargon's aside and speak as a normal audience member. I went in with minimal expectations for the movie and came out rather amazed by what was done with it. Sure the loss of true colours were evident, but what counted was the experience that Cameron wanted to show us. He wanted to lead us into an unknown world of Pandora and make sure we notice the detailing he had done in creating that world.

There was not a single point in the entire movie, that I felt left I was out of that world. The level of involvement was present and also happens to be one the things which is crucial in a 3D environment. I did crib about the poor colours, dull contrast, some blurry parts etc. in the beginning, but all of that went away when we are introduced to the Na'vi's location. It was gorgeous. If you have seen the movie in 3D, then you can't deny how beautiful it was, albeit all these abysmal faults you mentioned.

If you are referring to watching this movie in 2D HD, then I would rather not. For the very simple reason being, it is meant to be experienced in 3D, and 3D only. I don't care if India doesn't have XYZ technology to give the ultimate experience. To me, the experience was flawless. I wouldn't even bother watching it in a 2D cinema, leave alone 2D Blu-Ray.

The point rhitwick was trying to make, I believe, was about the level of involvement in the action part, which to me didn't feel like an appropriate response. Hence my question to him.
Yes this is what I'm talking about.

Watching awesome flowers, glowing octopus like things hovering all around you is not my reason to watch any movie in 3D.
3D for me should bring something extra with the scenes, else those creatures would look as beautiful in HD as in 3D.

Take the first chase scene, b/w Jack and dat creature, have u got the feeling dat the animal is just howling in-front ur face? No, no involvement here too.
Take the scene of destroying the tree, did u feel the heat, fire, blows...the film looked to me a Third Person view always....someone is watching it from a (safe) distance always.

Well, it was my first 3D movie, and may be I had much more expectation from it, but I was not satisfied with what I got.

And, I'm planning to watch it in IMAX too, let me have dat experience too...if IMAX doesn't satisfies me I don't know what technology would do it for me.

@Guys who have seen Avatar 3D version

were the goggles plain Red/Cyan glasses or active shutter goggles?
I watched it with plain glasses, no active shutter:cool:

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Dr Strangelove (1964) - 7.5/10 ...though I didnt like the ending very much but its a good watch for Kubrick fans like us ......

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

^^..How do people with spectacles make do..when wearing the 3D goggles..??
size of 3D goggles is big enough to fit over a spectacle

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
speed racer 8/10 ....

yup I know I am a little late in watching this one ....but still guess it was worth a recommendation.....

the movie is pretty good ....and if you've seen the anime you;ll enjoy it all the more....the cars the races ....specially the one at the end are mind blowing....

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
I saw it today . In INOX 3D, MG Road Blore!

Story= Meh!!

Visual= Best I've seen in any movie! 3d Effects were cool!!!

A liitle effort on the story and this could've been my favorite of the year!

Top Bottom