Metal gear solid v: The phantom pain

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I finished Metal Gear Solid, Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater. Is it necessary to play Metal Gear Solid 4 to understand the entire story of Big Boss before playing this or?

MGSV happens before MGS4.

In chrono order:
MGS3
MGS: PO
MGS: PW
MGS:GZ
MGSV
MG
MG2
MGS
MGS2
MGS4
MGR

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Awakening was good. But this open world system after that feels incredibly boring an monotonous. Horse mechanics is not that good. Anytime I see a game with horse riding as core component, only to compare it with Gun the game and falling short in delivery.

Does it get better or all missions are set in bland dotted world of Afghanistan doing fetch, destroy, and rescue quests ? So much deliberate repetitive animation prolonging game time. And that Hideo Kojima: Hideo Kojima everywhere after each chapter credits is defining the new definition of narcissism.

Fallout 3 did a much better job at open world.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I actually like the open world environment of MGS5. Because as you keep revisiting locations, you get more and more adept at infiltrating those locations. Not to mention it gets more and more challenging for your successive infiltrations as the enemies start adapting to your techniques. Therefore, you have to come up with newer techniques to infiltrate the same locations.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Does it get better or all missions are set in bland dotted world of Afghanistan doing fetch, destroy, and rescue quests ? So much deliberate repetitive animation prolonging game time. And that Hideo Kojima: Hideo Kojima everywhere after each chapter credits is defining the new definition of narcissism.

After your stint is Afghanistan, you have to do missions in Central Africa as well.

Speaking of Hideo Kojima, you can get Hideo as a staff member for your base if you upload your Ground Zeroes saves. He has a S rating in Intel.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
After your stint is Afghanistan, you have to do missions in Central Africa as well.

I'd play Splinter Cell or Alien Isolation if it just changes the location. I was played for couple of hours and got bored after similar missions in Afghanistan.

Arkham City and Dying light were earlier two games which I liked so much. This one just pales in comparison and feels mediocre, sits about few points higher than Mad Max.

Speaking of Hideo Kojima, you can get Hideo as a staff member for your base if you upload your Ground Zeroes saves. He has a S rating in Intel.
Don't have saves.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I'd play Splinter Cell or Alien Isolation if it just changes the location. I was played for couple of hours and got bored after similar missions in Afghanistan.

Arkham City and Dying light were earlier two games which I liked so much. This one just pales in comparison and feels mediocre, sits about few points higher than Mad Max.

Those are different. MGS5 is about planning and execution. I sometimes replay my previous missions just to get a better rating or to do things differently. Plus the base management metagame reminds me of Assassin's Creed Revelations' and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's metagames. I actually enjoy balancing base and staff management, developing and upgrading weapons and equipment, performing side ops and doing main missions and later in the game: attacking and defending FOBs. MGS5 is very multi-dimensional that way.

Don't have saves.

I was actually pointing out his narcissism.

He did it even crazier in Ground Zeroes. There is a mission where you have to rescue him from a base. After you rescue him, he appears on the title screen sitting alongside Snake. While you are browsing the mission list, he will occasionally run his hand along the menu and mess up your selection, in a 4th wall breaking way.

sygeek

Technomancer
It seems that many people either love this game or find it plain boring. No middle ground. I finished downloading it today, hoping I am on the former.

Pasapa

Live to die another day
It seems that many people either love this game or find it plain boring. No middle ground. I finished downloading it today, hoping I am on the former.
The former is the majority. There is no universally loved game.

The former is the majority. There is no universally loved game.
Majority of those players are creative and use different methods for accomplishing mission objectives. Most of the complainers are COD casuals who want linear and dramatic one track gameplay. They are the ones who play Games that require 2 digit IQ.
A vast majority love this game. Its just the loud and vocal minority that hates on it cuz they r afraid it will be a strong contender to Witcher 3 for G.O.T.Y. (Witcher 3 was gr8 but combat and skill tree system su¢ked donkey balls)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Majority of those players are creative and use different methods for accomplishing mission objectives. Most of the complainers are COD casuals who want linear and dramatic one track gameplay. They are the ones who play Games that require 2 digit IQ.

The AI suck balls. You know what this reminds me of ? GRAW and Splinter cells. Both were pretty good and not as forgiving.

Even for a 2 digit IQ person this game is not ground breaking. It's like Kojima wanted to try an open world game and made it just for the sake of it.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
MGSV is so far GOTY for me. I'm liking it more than Witcher 3. Witcher 3 was pretty flat in terms of game design and level design. I'll just point out one comparison between Witcher 3 and MGSV that nobody else must have pointed out: Every tree and grass in MGSV acts as a sort of camo/cover whereas it's just a visual thing in Witcher 3 and has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay. In addition every tree can be destroyed in MGSV.

Pasapa

Live to die another day
MGSV is so far GOTY for me. I'm liking it more than Witcher 3. Witcher 3 was pretty flat in terms of game design and level design. I'll just point out one comparison between Witcher 3 and MGSV that nobody else must have pointed out: Every tree and grass in MGSV acts as a sort of camo/cover whereas it's just a visual thing in Witcher 3 and has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay. In addition every tree can be destroyed in MGSV.
Meh, the grass cover was sometimes too ridiculous in mgs. A soldier could stand 1 feet away from you and would flash a light at you but he still wouldn't see you because you were hiding in the grass

Tbh, I don't think it deserves a goty just because chapter 2 was just horrible.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Meh, the grass cover was sometimes too ridiculous in mgs. A soldier could stand 1 feet away from you and would flash a light at you but he still wouldn't see you because you were hiding in the grass

Tbh, I don't think it deserves a goty just because chapter 2 was just horrible.

Agreed that MGSV is not perfect. Other contenders for GOTY are Undertale and Fallout 4 but definitely not Witcher 3.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Don't jump over Quiet. Lethal consequence.

Don't throw empty magazines at her. Non lethal consequence.

I like Main Missions more. Side missions are generic just cause + splinter cell.

*i.imgur.com/ut9lfUx.jpg

Guys i am on PC, and around chapter 7,

So when can i play FOB mode?? Is this feature exclusive for consoles??
And nyone else here who constantly goes into offline mode?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
OK..installed it today
and episode 1 launched instead of episode 0.

I think this is due to MGS:GZ I played earlier...am I correct ?

Top Bottom