gameranand

Living to Play
Ethan_Hunt said:
One thing I would like Bioware to retain is the filtered gameplay style used in ME2, rather than going for the ME1's RPG elements. It was a pain trying to use (and manage) a gazillion weapon attachments. Keep it simple, like Mass Effect 2.
Actually I like Attachments but the thing is that there were just too many of them and each with different versions. They should include that but keeping that simple.

pulsar_swift said:
wow thats great news. Man ME2 was a PITA with ammo running out and collecting them. I need unlimited ammo
Dude I liked ME2 weapons more than ME because in ME shoot for 4 or 5 secs continuously and then weapon overheats and then wait for another 5 secs to shoot again. In ME2 at least I had ammo clips which won't heat up paralyzing my weapon. TBH I never ran out of ammo there were more than I can use. Bioware should stick with that rather than going with heat up style.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
HAHA...you don't care about females....there's nothing more to argue with you now. :rofl: Anyways, you want him to be a man just bcos he watched Chuck only for Yvonne. So whats wrong with that ? Initially, I too watched Chuck just to see Yvonne but the tv show wasn't bad.
Infact I should be telling you to be a man since you admitted yourself that you don't care about females :rofl:. Just kidding. :lol:

Chuck's a mediocre show. Watch manly and awesome shows like Prison Break... darn, I so miss it.

Anyway, I hope the RPG elements are like ME1. ME2 was stripped down.

varunb

Working in an IT company
Thats why I mentioned that Chuck wasn't bad. I never said that its really good, etc. Anyways, I have to agree with allwyn here. I hope they keep the ME2 elements. The RPG elements of ME1 were confusing for many FPS or TPS lovers including me. Even if they do include, I hope they add them in such a way so that gameplay never confuses the player. Also I have to admit that Ashley looks a lot pretty now. Her tight bun in both the games never suited her appearance.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
Actually I like Attachments but the thing is that there were just too many of them and each with different versions. They should include that but keeping that simple.

Dude I liked ME2 weapons more than ME because in ME shoot for 4 or 5 secs continuously and then weapon overheats and then wait for another 5 secs to shoot again. In ME2 at least I had ammo clips which won't heat up paralyzing my weapon. TBH I never ran out of ammo there were more than I can use. Bioware should stick with that rather than going with heat up style.

Ya now i remember that heating up problem we had in ME1. ME2 is better but in the final scene in Me2 where we have to kill that giant skeleton, collecting ammo was tough and harbingers were too powerful

varunb

Working in an IT company
harbingers were too powerful

LOL...from where did these harbingers come ? Your imagination ? There was only a SINGLE Harbinger & it was the name of the reaper controlling the Collector-general. You can clearly see him in the final cutscene.

gameranand

Living to Play
varunb said:
LOL...from where did these harbingers come ? Your imagination ? There was only a SINGLE Harbinger & it was the name of the reaper controlling the Collector-general. You can clearly see him in the final cutscene.
I think he meant those foes of which Harbinger will take full control and they would become orange from black.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!

Thrice actually. The first time you meet him, second is somewhere in the middle when you are in Reaper ship or something, I can't remember and during the final scene.

varunb

Working in an IT company
Thrice actually. The first time you meet him, second is somewhere in the middle when you are in Reaper ship or something, I can't remember and during the final scene.

You are confusing yourself. You get to see Harbinger only once & that too in the cutscene
[1]when Shepard has escaped from the Collector homeworld. Watch that cutscene on youtube & you will see Harbinger telling the Collector-General that "You have failed..we will find another way. Releasing Control." The yellow colored hologram image in that cutscene is Harbinger.

[2]Later, Harbinger is then seen with the rest of the Reapers in dark space, moving toward the Milky Way galaxy just before the credits start rolling in.

[3]At the end of Arrival dlc, Harbinger appears via a hologram to have a brief conversation with Shepard about the futility of the Commander's fight against the Reapers. However, if this mission is completed before the Suicide Mission, it will speak through the Collector General instead.
-> I must admit that it's a nice touch.

In short, Shepard gets to meet it only once but as a player you get to see Harbinger 3 times.

Last edited:

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
You are confusing yourself. You, as Shepard, get to see Harbinger only once & that too in the cutscene

-> I must admit that it's a nice touch.

In short, Shepard gets to meet it only once but as a player you get to see Harbinger 3 times.

Well, yeah, I thought Shepard saw him three times since we play as Shepard. So...

varunb

Working in an IT company
Another Mass Effect 3 information blowout hits the net

Warning -> Spoilers !!

As if the lovely details pulled from an issue of OXM weren’t enough to satisfy your curiosity for Mass Effect 3, a poster over on the BioWare forums has provided readers with some other details gleaned from an issue of Xbox World Magazine.

In the order the magazine goes through:

SQUADMATES:
"Twelve was a big number in Mass Effect 2 - almost too big", Hudson concedes. "We're focused on a smaller squad with deeper relationships and more interesting interplay in Mass Effect 3' he explains. "We're not going to have twelve again but we are going to do more with the characters on your squad including Liara, and Kaidan or Ashley. And we're bringing everyone back - every main character is in Mass Effect 3 somewhere"

"Zaeed is in, plus Thane, Mordin and the rest, all knocking about somewhere in the galaxy, doing something appropriate for their character and with the same lavish redesigns given to every core character in the game."

Garrus is back along with Jack:
"She's matured," admits Art Director Derek Watts, "maybe she's softened up a bit. You can only stay punk rock for so long, you know. Even Johnny Rotten eventually goes, 'I've got to do something different'. She'd get tired of walking around completely naked and she'd probably grow her hair out, but she's still Jack and still kinda punk - shaved at the sides with a ponytail at the back"

ON CHARACTER RE-DESIGN:
"We have to update the look," Watts continues, referring to Jack, Ashley and Kaidan's redesigns "And the people who redesign the characters are the same people who did the original characters; and they know best how these things are supposed to mature. Stuff changes. Garrus' armor is going to change. Even Shepard has changed quite a bit. His armor has changed a lot since the first Mass Effect"

NORMANDY SR2
"Formerly a Cerberus vessel, Shepard's return to the Alliance has seen the ship repainted with the Alliance colour scheme and several new sections of the shop reopened up to exploration"

"The Normandy drops yellow, white, and black in favor of red, white and blue following its Alliance refit."
"...the SR2 will be filled with Alliance engineers dissecting the advanced Cerberus technology"

CERBERUS
"Regardless of how you finished ME2, Cerberus are now your enemy and are throwing their black and yellow-clad commandos at Shepard for reasons he'll discover later in the game when, as Bioware confirm then Illusive Man
returns"

"You were begrudgingly working for Cerberus in ME2" Explains Casey Hudson, "but they've gone a bit further and Shepard has returned to the Alliance so Cerberus troops are a major threat". Shepard is unsure at the beginning why Cerberus is sending commandos after him, but he will discover the reason later in the game when the Illusive Man returns.

"Cerberus heavy troopers wear enormous armor, Assassins use the same Biotics as Shepard and Phantoms use blades."

WEAPONS (Customization and Sounds)
"Every weapon is modular and can be customized with up to five modifications; scopes increase a rifle's zoom factor, new barrels increase accuracy or damage. Sling your gun on a workbench and it can be customized for a job at hand. Guns sound better too..." [Goes on to say that they swapped notes from DICE on gun sounds and how environments affect the sounds and how every weapon "fires with a hard-edged crack"]

SHEPARD IS MORE AGILE
"As Shepard you're more agile than ever before" Hudson continues. "You're falling, climbing, jumping, rolling between cover, SWAT turning, you can melee and grab enemies over cover objects... there's a new heavy melee attack for every class. You just feel way more mobile..."

COMBAT
"Cerberus Troopers can do everything that Shepard can do now" says Designer Corey Gaspur. "So your fighting a force that's a lot more punishing"

"We wanted to make it so that when the player's fighting in the moment they feel like they have more options than aiming shooting and using powers says Lead Gameplay Designer Christina Norman. "We really want to make mobility a factor that plays into combat. You'll always ask yourself, 'am I in the right position on the battlefield? Where are my enemies? How am I going to get from point A to point B?' Players should never be walking into these safe places with great cover and stay there for the whole fight. It's about how you're going to move through the
battlefield as the enemies through the battlefield move through the battlefield and how they're reacting to one another and to you"

Example with husks
"The new combat system makes for a bloodier and more violent game, as Casey Hudson explains: "The husks are faster and more aggressive versions of the ones you've seen before, but whether they're robots or they're organic you can shoot parts off and they will all have multiple stages of damage"

AI Enemies now work as a unit each with unique roles
"Some will provide covering fire for snipers, some will deploy smoke to hide advancing comrades, others will coordinate subordinate units, and one will stomp around consuming its fallen friends to fuel itself"

NOTE: The examples provided ^above^ are not exclusive too each other...the "one will stomp around consuming its fallen friends to fuel itself" is likely the Reaper Cannibal we have been hearing about..

RPG! (not the weapon)

"We've taken a lot of feedback from the Mass Effect community," says Hudson. "more than anything, people want us to deepen the RPG aspect of the experience. Now, that isn't necessarily something traditional; about stats and loot; we see it as being more about exploration and making a good character-driven story with intelligent decision-making in how you progress."

"I think specifically we wanted to do more with the sense of progression. We had that sense in ME2, but only in a few areas regarding your armor choices, your weapon choices and the things you find. That activity chain was too simple and it didn't allow you to make choices that could customize your experience. You could choose different weapons and stuff like that but you couldn't invest in the weapons like you can in ME3. You can see how modifications change different attributes, and start making choices about your value and which ones you would rather sell and which ones you think are rare. That whole activity chain was a button we weren't really pushing in ME2 and something we're trying to hit throughout ME3"

LOCATIONS (we obviously know more than article mentions)
-"Turian homeworld Palaven and the Quarian homeworld Rannoch are early new destinations."
-Returning to Tuchanka
-Mining base on the edge of a Martian crater
-BUT "it's Earth cities which form the game's showpiece locations"...
"The Seatle/Vancouver megacity on the west coast of North America is a truly gigantic space which Shepard will visit before and after the Reapers take it apart."

"If you Google Map Vancouver the layout is pretty much the exact same as our map" says Level Artist Don Arceta. "Geographically it's very true to the real world"

[magazine goes on about the "new found focus on realism and utility giving spaces a history and a reason for being"]

"You play a game like Gears or War and they just have sandbags everywhere, and we really don't want to do that. We really want to get away from arbitrary things placed just for the people working there, and we're just trying to really make sense of these spaces. We try to design the arhitecture first before we blow it up" says Arceta. "Like, really thinking about how did they actually design this building, and does it function well?"

BIG LEVELS:
"These spaces large enough to accommodate a six hundred foot Reaper bossfight, and a fifty foot Cerberus Atlas mech Shepard himself pilots later in the game."

"Over and over Bioware's team mention the scale of ME3 - every fight every enemy and every space is bigger than anything you've ever seen rendered in Mass Effect - or by the Unreal Engine - before"

LEVEL VARIETY

-More varied and unpredictable:

"You could always tell when a fight was coming" says Hudson about ME2 "You would walk into a room filled with low cover and before we could get dramatic about it you already knew a fight was coming. So now we're building environments that don't have crates and sandbags and that kind of cover; we have environments that have natural opportunities to take cover. And it helps that Shepard can climb and fall and SWAT turn and leaps across gaps and stuff like that. It allows you to look around your environment and solve problems in that space and makes combat less predictable"

"I think Lair of the Shadow Broker is a good look at how we design levels now" says Hudson ... "It's all about sudden shifts in the action. There's a section on Earth where you're running a narrow walkway and there's a war going on all around you and a ship is in the distance. Suddenly its nuclear core blows up and its such a shockwave that it knocks you off the walkway and you end up sliding down the glass face of a knocked over high-rise and then you kind of roll and catch yourself and all that happens in a moment of gameplay. You have control throughout and that's when you'll realize anything could happen at any time"

ENEMIES
"We definitely want you to feel that the enemies you're fighting are more complex, that they have multiple behaviors and that they're reacting to whats going on" says Lead Gameplay Designer, Christina Norman. "With ME2 we made each enemy as anindividual. Now we look at enemies as a force, with each of them having rols and capabilities. Its giving our level designers and combat designers a lot more opportunity to create really interesting combat, not with heavy scripting, but by combining these pieces that work together in really new and interesting ways"

Asari and Rachni Husks...
"The Husks in the first and second game were humans that had been converted by Reaper technology" Hudson explains. " Now you're gonna see all the different races in the galaxy converted by that technology - the Asari, the Rachni - all mashed together by the Reapers"

IMPORTS
They have a big spreadsheet...

"Whether you killed or saved Wrex...the Rachni Queen decision...the council...If you have the opportunity to
import a saved game then there is a lot of texture to the way that shapes your story. Players have made a lot of choices along the way. We have a big spreadsheet"

FOR NEW PLAYERS
Similar to what PS3 owners got for ME2...BUT:
"It might not be comic style, but we'll do something in the same style to recap the story", says Hudson. "It's essentially a really fancy save game generator

REWARD FOR LOYAL FANS?
"Absolutely," he says. "Definitely. The challenge is to make the game better than ever before, to make it a great entry point for new players, and to make it the ending fans deserve. It's about making sure it starts the way a
great story should start versus just being a continuation. And thats tough because there is no canon except for what the player has chosen. In the end, its their game".

UPDATE 5/11
The confirmed ME3 squad so far according to the article:

ASHLEY WILLIAMS
KAIDAN ALENKO
LIARA T'SONI
GARRUS VAKARIAN
Tali Zorah (previously confirmed)
JAMES SANDERS (now James Vega)

gameranand

Living to Play
Whoa. Thats a real nice detail bro. I can't wait for this one. Seems like it would be a real epic in every sense. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us.

varunb

Working in an IT company
I am quite happy about after learning about the enemy types that Shepard will be facing like the Asari husks, rachni husks & the other indoctrinated species. Looking forward to the new battle system.

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah me too. Also the environment like they are saying to us sounds very interesting. Most of the time time in games it feels like that environment is made for that particular battle. Good to hear a change.

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah in previous game Mass Effect 2 there were just too many squad mates with no use at all. I mean 6 squad mates are good enough if you can only have 2 companions in a mission 8 or 9 is good for games like DAO or DA2 which have 3 companions. 12 is just too much because I have a experience that I never used many of them even once in the whole game except in their loyalty mission.

gameranand

Living to Play
Tali returns as a full-time squadmate in Mass Effect 3, Wrex probably doesn’t

When Tom was out at BioWare’s Edmonton office last month, executive producer Casey Hudson confirmed that our favourite Quarian, Tali’Zorah vas Normandy, would return as a full-time squadmate. The obvious next question: would Wrex?

Casey Hudson: Wrex will be… basically everyone that’s a main character is in Mass Effect 3. Everyone – every single team character in the entire series – is in Mass Effect 3, but not necessarily as a squad member. So Wrex will be there but not necessarily as a full squad member.

The squadmates we can confirm are Garrus, Liara, Ashley or Kaiden, James Vega, and the one that we can mention that we haven’t mentioned before is Tali.

PC Gamer: Will some of the main characters who aren’t full squadmates tag along for one mission?

Casey Hudson: Yeah. Basically when the story moves to deal with that particular main character, there might be a plot where they join you for a little while, and they’re with you for that mission.

Casey says the returning characters, particularly Shepard him or herself, make the Mass Effect series unique.

Casey Hudson: I would argue that this is the only trilogy in games. There have been games where there were three, but in terms of planning it out from the beginning, with a story that was meant to span three games, and actually finishing all three games – I don’t know if that’s ever been done before.

Certainly bringing your character across and those decisions, that hasn’t been done before. So we have a really, really exciting opportunity, which is to take all of the stuff that we’ve built and it’s not now just about continuing it, but it’s about letting people end it. And end it in ways that, especially if you’ve been following the series, you know what it would mean to end certain conflicts in certain ways. You know the values behind it, and the history behind it, and especially the people that are affected.

We talk about the Genophage, and how you could resolve that in different ways, because you know so many people affected by it: Grunt and Wrex and Mordin and these characters that you can actually put a face on. So it’s pretty exciting to be able to finish it.

Source : PC Gamer

axes2t2

I am a cat
I hope they shed some light early on on that CERBERUS.

"Regardless of how you finished ME2, Cerberus are now your enemy and are throwing their black and yellow-clad commandos at Shepard for reasons he'll discover later in the game when, as Bioware confirm then Illusive Man
returns"

"You were begrudgingly working for Cerberus in ME2" Explains Casey Hudson, "but they've gone a bit further and Shepard has returned to the Alliance so Cerberus troops are a major threat". Shepard is unsure at the beginning why Cerberus is sending commandos after him, but he will discover the reason later in the game when the Illusive Man returns.

"Cerberus heavy troopers wear enormous armor, Assassins use the same Biotics as Shepard and Phantoms use blades."

gameranand

Living to Play
Nah it would be better if we find out later that why Cerberus is hunting for us. If revealed very early then it will spoil the story and the suspense.

Top Bottom