Linux Godfather urges revolt against Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Revolt is not a very nice word, and is not very practical either. As linux becomes more user friendly (geeks like to call this idiot friendly, whatever), more and more people will try it out. With every release it only gets better. I see a future for OpenSuSE and Ubuntu in this regard, which is why I have thrown my weight behind them (all of 80 kilos ;) )

However a sudden revolt or revolution is not the way. I am deploying more and more desktop linux here in Mangalore every week. Users are hesitant at first but they settle down in a week. I do get calls like,"How do I install adobe reader", which I can guide over telephone. That's the best part, so far all the problems can be sorted out over the phone. That speaks for the increasing user friendliness.

narangz

Web developer
I won't jump much into the debate but let's just assume this.

A cook has a superb recipe for kebabs(i'm from lucknow , what else do you expect). Now this recipe is a trade secret and is kept securely and only the owner of the shop knows how to prepare such kebabs .

Now if the owner makes the recipe open to all , wouldn't it hurt his business and his reputation as a whole because over time most shops will be selling the exact same dish and it wouldn't be his speciality then.

I'm not saying OpenSource is bad , just that every developer has the right to decide what license he wants to distribute his software under.

+1

He has explained it in very simple words. It's the right of the developer whether he wants to share the source code or not.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Woah,

Stay on the footpaths in my street dudes, the road's brand new and the traffic's too much!

No wait. In Delhi we have a BRT thing, let me see if they can make a special FOSS RT as well!

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
first of all ,it is impossible to have analogies for FOSS. kabab eg and all dont work!

I think ,it is because most of you are addicted to window$ that you feel like defending it!.true?

what you ppl are trying is to equate FOSS to be fit on to it(M$ ecosystem).

but FOSS means ,another complete new ecosystem which is like democracy.when the shift is completed ,new paths sure opens. FOSS is not about stealing developers roti.

below site discusses some ways:
*follars.com

din

Tribal Boy
Offtopic:

Surprised to see a good discussion (so far ;) ). No personal attack yet ! Thats good. Really good.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Why dont people just shut up!!! ... Foss guys do your work .. windows guys do your work... end of story..

FOSS guys: create your software.. attach whatever licence you want .. distribut them or sell them ...
Closed Source guys: create your software.. attach whatever licence you want .. distribut or sell them ...

END OF STORY..

OSS & FOSS & Commercial .. live and let live..

din

Tribal Boy
Hey, you forgot the large majority here ;)

Why dont people just shut up!!! ... Foss guys do your work .. windows guys do your work...

Add - Other guys do your work

FOSS guys: create your software.. attach whatever licence you want .. distribut them or sell them ...
Closed Source guys: create your software.. attach whatever licence you want .. distribut or sell them ...

Add - Other source (?) guys : create your software.. attach whatever licence you want .. distribut or sell them ...

Aahh, peace in ThinkDigit forum. Finally..

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Just a thought, how is he called the "Linux Godfather" ? Until now I thought Linus Torvalds is that, and RMS is for GNU and GPL and all those things. Or am I mis-interpreting the meaning of "Godfather"?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Just a thought, how is he called the "Linux Godfather" ? Until now I thought Linus Torvalds is that, and RMS is for GNU and GPL and all those things. Or am I mis-interpreting the meaning of "Godfather"?

Tsk Tsk......I thought he was the Father ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom