Linux Godfather urges revolt against Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandru.in

In the zone
I give it a Thumbs Down! Not that I support MS but this is just plain bad to downplay someone esp. by someone who's RMS himself!!!

Well, that's his agenda. His purpose is spreading Free (as in freedom) software and stopping proprietary software. He is known to urge revolting against all proprietary s/w. It is just that MS is currently caught in his radar. He was against proprietary UNIX. Against proprietary Java (The famous Java Trap page). But he is the same person who praised Sun when they opened up Java. I'm sure his attitude towards MS will change when MS opens its code too.

Spreading Free software is RMS's goal and he is doing just that always, not just to MS. If you like it or not is your choice. :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^I completely subscribes to the ideas of RMS.

In this bad bad world ,only software gandhi and followers are only there to save this messy proprietary world :evil:

I am calling it FOSS Utopia.I will try my max to be closer to it.I know it cant be achieved 100%.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
I won't jump much into the debate but let's just assume this.

A cook has a superb recipe for kebabs(i'm from lucknow , what else do you expect). Now this recipe is a trade secret and is kept securely and only the owner of the shop knows how to prepare such kebabs .

Now if the owner makes the recipe open to all , wouldn't it hurt his business and his reputation as a whole because over time most shops will be selling the exact same dish and it wouldn't be his speciality then.

I'm not saying OpenSource is bad , just that every developer has the right to decide what license he wants to distribute his software under.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
bad analogy! there is a BIG difference between software and kebab! :rolleyes:

consider it with a hardware ,I agree .but not with software.software is virtual .

chandru.in

In the zone
I wonder how internet would be if Google used ABC technology for displaying content. Yahoo used XYZ. And every other site used their own. Yes everyone will have a trade secret about their technology. :rolleyes:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I did not know Google has given it's bot crawling technology and methodology in the open :shock: Where is it? Can someone point me to it. Google has opened it's Searching algo? Damn man, that's nice. I didn't know that.

chandru.in

In the zone
I did not know Google has given it's bot crawling technology and methodology in the open :shock: Where is it? Can someone point me to it. Google has opened it's Searching algo? Damn man, that's nice. I didn't know that.

I never said so. Read again I said only about content display. Google is not in anyway open but it helps few FOSS projects.

For the last time I'll post on this thread, closed-source is not exactly evil but openness fosters faster innovation.

One ethernet spec thousands of successful n/w card makers. One Linux kernel and several successful and record breaking Linux distros. One successful Firefox and several innovative derivatives like Flock.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I never said so. Read again I said only about content display. Google is not in anyway open but it helps few FOSS projects.

For the last time I'll post on this thread, closed-source is not exactly evil but openness fosters faster innovation.

One ethernet spec thousands of successful n/w card makers. One Linux kernel and several successful and record breaking Linux distros. One successful Firefox and several innovative derivatives like Flock.
Yes they keep the profit making technology to themself and give away others technology which may not help their competitor but will help the general public as a whole.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Spreading Free software is RMS's goal and he is doing just that always, not just to MS. If you like it or not is your choice. :)
I do not force my opinion on anyone. Its my opinion.. and I give it a thumbs down. Thats all I said.

just that every developer has the right to decide what license he wants to distribute his software under.
+1.

consider it with a hardware ,I agree .but not with software.software is virtual.
The day you'll get into development you will realize that software is just not some "virtual" thing which you can't touch.. software is IP.

I don't see it as a bad analogy at all. Why is it wrong to have a trade secret?
+1

I wonder how internet would be if Google used ABC technology for displaying content. Yahoo used XYZ. And every other site used their own. Yes everyone will have a trade secret about their technology. :rolleyes:
Standards are different from business models. Plz don't get confused.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
I thing it is a battle between democracy and business :rolleyes:
@infreD:
I know s/w controls hardware and more.Software is NOT IP!.that is the biggest foolish thing! if you can have 2+2=4 and 3+1=4 then whatever s/w they patent as IP's they may be discovered by time.the same thing they patented.if some other way they coded or used methods ,what say?

Software Patents -definitely no -it is ,infact more bad than DRM.EULA already make you faint ,now s/w IP and other craps ...Oh man! Sumne iri :rolleyes:

Pat

Beyond Smart

Just as you say it, Google Open-sources its Internal Data Exchange Language

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
I know s/w controls hardware and more.Software is NOT IP!.that is the biggest foolish thing! if you can have 2+2=4 and 3+1=4 then whatever s/w they patent as IP's they may be discovered by time.the same thing they patented.if some other way they coded or used methods ,what say?

Software Patents -definitely no -it is ,infact more bad than DRM.EULA already make you faint ,now s/w IP and other craps ...Oh man! Sumne iri :rolleyes:
I didn't want to barge in this debate, but you know, those statements seem like Anu Malik-speak. He once said that he is not copying any music, as there are only 7 notes in music and everything is just a variation of the usage of these notes. That is not creativity, and it is a poor excuse to hide one's laziness when he couldn't come up with something by himself. Yes, there might be only seven notes in music, but it is the creative mind of a person that came up with a good tune, and he should be rewarded for his creativity.

I wouldn't say that OSS is anywhere near what Anu Malik does, with due credit given to the developer. But, as infra_red_dude said, it should be totally upto the developer to decide if the code should be released to public or not, as it was (s)he who made it with her mind.

It is a whole different matter if someone releases his music free (like NIN did recently, but even Trent Reznor said that this was on him for all the fans who listened to his music over the years), but maybe some people like MetalheadGautham or nish_higher (I assume them to be guitarists) might understand what I mean to say. If they come up with some rocking riffs, it should be up to them to decide if they should upload it on the net to be distributed for free, or if they should reap the benefits of their creativity. Some people get an encouragement to make better music (or software) when they know that people are paying for their creations, and they are earning good with it. Not everyone might be enthusiastic about donations.

Let both OSS and proprietary s/w co-exist. Let the developers choose how they want to deal with their creations. No one should force an opinion on others.

PS: My statements about Anu Malik was just an argument against 2+2=4. I'm in no way accusing the OSS movement of plagiarism, I know better than that, please be clarified on this aspect. If anyone feels that I'm wrong on anything else, please feel free to correct me.

Pat

Beyond Smart
I won't jump much into the debate but let's just assume this.

A cook has a superb recipe for kebabs(i'm from lucknow , what else do you expect). Now this recipe is a trade secret and is kept securely and only the owner of the shop knows how to prepare such kebabs .

Now if the owner makes the recipe open to all , wouldn't it hurt his business and his reputation as a whole because over time most shops will be selling the exact same dish and it wouldn't be his speciality then.

I'm not saying OpenSource is bad , just that every developer has the right to decide what license he wants to distribute his software under.

Even though I agree that its upto the cook whether he wants to open it or not, the point you are missing is that the same cook could possibly benefit from opening of 100s of such trade secrets by other cooks ?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Even though I agree that its upto the cook whether he wants to open it or not, the point you are missing is that the same cook could possibly benefit from opening of 100s of such trade secrets by other cooks ?
He doesn't want those "free to use" benefits. He believes in himself. The chef believes that his recipe is good enough that he can start his own restaurant. He does not want to reap the benefits of others' work. That is the point. He knows that what he has is something awesome and therefore something that people will pay for. Same goes for software if you keep talking viz-a-vi this analogy.

Pat

Beyond Smart
He doesn't want those "free to use" benefits. He believes in himself. The chef believes that his recipe is good enough that he can start his own restaurant. He does not want to reap the benefits of others' work. That is the point. He knows that what he has is something awesome and therefore something that people will pay for. Same goes for software if you keep talking viz-a-vi this analogy.

Which is perfectly O.K is what I am saying. Afterall its his own wish :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom