Lightheadedness, Nausea while playing Borderlands?

OP
funkysourav

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
I have a theory for that, when you are playing games you know which route you are taking, you can predict the movements, but when somebody plays it you have no idea about the next step, you end up looking in opposite direction to where the person is going, your mind can not cope with it and you get nausea and headache.

my theory exactly
i felt the same when i was first initiated to FPS games by Quake 3 Arena in 2004
it took me a day to adjust my mind

the mind plays an important role in the immersiveness of the games
and when the immersion is incomplete due to some factors, the mind cant cope up

i think another reason for my problem is the
Mouse smoothing(disabling helped)
my monitor is 3 1/2 feet away from me (so the focus of the intended FOV was at a distance of 1-2 feet from my eyes) decreasing the distance helped too
cel-shaded graphics (disabled it)

in the process of making it a third person shooter with some tweaks i found over the net

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even I suffer from the same problem. Actually, it is this reason my venture with Portal lasted just 10 minutes and I never came back. Half Life 2 was a bit lengthier but never get completed. But never faced the same with Crysis, FEAR and Max Payne.

@vamsi_krishna: you are right, it can happen very quickly and nothing to do with rest and all.

Thanks sourav for raising the issue. Also I couldn't get the cause of the problem and the probable remedy. So can anybody please clarify?

gameranand

Living to Play
Just played Borderlands Co-Op for like 3 hours straight just to check if I have the problem also...Looks like I am immune to this at least in this game. :))

tkin

Back to school!!
Just played Borderlands Co-Op for like 3 hours straight just to check if I have the problem also...Looks like I am immune to this at least in this game. :))
I finished it 3 times, no issues till now.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Real MEN do not get dizzy and nauseated while play FPS.
:)

OP
funkysourav

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
mission successful
Borderlands has been converted to a Third Person Role Playing Shooter :D
the Borderlands Config Tool 2.14 did its work beautifully
adjusted the FOV to 101 (default 70)
everything is Freakin fine now

p.s.
i can post screenies if requested
didn't post it now ' cause i am a lil bit busy
if anyone is interested to get the BCT 2.14 PM me i will send it via email (very small file 500kb)

OP
funkysourav

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
dang, i cant take screenies using PrintScreen :ashamed:
will Fraps work?

sorry i didn't post the pics earlier, was busy studying Curve SketchinG :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@funky

wut ? Why so PrintScreen ?
Fraps or if you have MSI card then afterburner has a utility for that. Or use steam client to take screenshots.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
As I am a medical student I can suggest not to play games for more than 2 hours without a break. In immersive FPS games blood supply to fingers in increased for increased responsiveness. In a way that compromises the blood supply to brain. For hardcore gamers : pause the game after 1-2 hours, walk a little (5-10m) have some water and sugar, wash your eyes and then go back Aim for the HEADSHOT

doomgiver

Warframe
As I am a medical student I can suggest not to play games for more than 2 hours without a break. In immersive FPS games blood supply to fingers in increased for increased responsiveness. In a way that compromises the blood supply to brain. For hardcore gamers : pause the game after 1-2 hours, walk a little (5-10m) have some water and sugar, wash your eyes and then go back Aim for the HEADSHOT

how much blood is diverted? 1 litre?

the only blood being diverted in my body is from my bum. cant feel it.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
how much blood is diverted? 1 litre?

the only blood being diverted in my body is from my bum. cant feel it.

It is diverted from all parts of the body. It is not that 1l or 2l. Vessels of the hands dilate causing an increased blood flow there.

doomgiver

Warframe
tell me, how large are the blood vessels of your hands? are they so big that they drain most of the blood away from the brain?

in this way, you can argue that sprinting makes the blood go from the brain to the legs. if thats the case, then the drain must be much larger coz [size of legs] >>> [size of hands]
so, sprinting is worse than gaming wrt blood flow to brain.

im sorry, i dont buy that reasoning.

OP
funkysourav

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Okay Guys here are some of the pics
sorry couldn't post them earlier
*thumbnails52.imagebam.com/13799/bff0a2137981786.jpg *thumbnails39.imagebam.com/13799/316f8e137982450.jpg *thumbnails48.imagebam.com/13799/10e006137982492.jpg *thumbnails34.imagebam.com/13799/98cff4137982520.jpg

here's a screenie of the config tool
*thumbnails48.imagebam.com/13799/76952c137983239.jpg

Last edited: