Lenovo Ideapad Y500

pratyush997

Inactive
Just quality comparison between the two. :cool: Same game, same car, same place.

And yes, the confusion does need to end. Even S02 doesn't heat up anymore. Even though it used to.

S03 - That one never had any heating/throttling issues.

So why target S03 as well when its quality is simply par the Lenovo Y500? :p
This.
Agreed

KyleSforza

Banned
And about all those colors, 'better display' talk, I have a question to ask, just out of confusion.

Why's the text breaking and is sometimes unreadable in your screenshots? :blink:

tkin

Back to school!!
And about all those colors, 'better display' talk, I have a question to ask, just out of confusion.

Why's the text breaking and is sometimes unreadable in your screenshots? :blink:
Its a phenomenon known as Jpeg compression.

gnan10

Right off the assembly line
Sorry to burst your bubble, but S03 doesn't heat up, who said it does?

A gift for you, After playing Far Cry 3 for an hour and a half on Ultra on S03, no cooling pad used, just table :
View attachment 9084

btw, it looks very bulky.

P.S. That backlit keyboard is the only advantage you got over Series 5. :p

sorry to burst one more bubble... :p
only backlit keyboard is not the advantage over samsung series 5..
it has FHD screen
GDDR5 graphics where as ddr3 graphics in samsung series 5(20% speed in difference)
and it has advanced better cooling system no heating issues at all....
no keyboard flex...

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Just quality comparison between the two. :cool: Same game, same car, same place.

And yes, the confusion does need to end. Even S02 doesn't heat up anymore. Even though it used to.

S03 - That one never had any heating/throttling issues.

So why target S03 as well when its quality is simply par the Lenovo Y500? :p

I have used S02 & S03. Yesterday I was comparing Y500 & S03 with few friends. We all concluded that Y500's screen is better in colour reproduction, etc(both laptops at 100% brightness). Whereas we just compared heat given out my laptop's exhaust:p by our hands, and S03's exhaust felt hotter........Thats it !!!

As far as support is concerned, my friend's S03's one 4GB RAM got corrupted. Service centre took that and RAM and told that it will take really long time for replacement(approx 1 month) :shock:

saurabhraipur19

@gnam2 it has got disadvantages too like
1-no subwoofer
2-battery life sucks since no optimus
3-colour reproduction is good since its glossy and Samsung got matte screen
4-1600*900>fhd for gaming,better fps

regarding that ram corrupt issue,such kind of defects are possible in all brand laptop.
regarding service-even company replaced mobo of some users in 10-15days and even several got replacement and refund.
please stop complaining about throttling in series 5 since it had been solved several months before and s03/so4/s05 don't have throttling at all

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
@gnam2 it has got disadvantages too like
1-no subwoofer
2-battery life sucks since no optimus
3-colour reproduction is good since its glossy and Samsung got matte screen
4-1600*900>fhd for gaming,better fps

regarding that ram corrupt issue,such kind of defects are possible in all brand laptop.
regarding service-even company replaced mobo of some users in 10-15days and even several got replacement and refund.
please stop complaining about throttling in series 5 since it had been solved several months before and s03/so4/s05 don't have throttling at all

Battery life isn't pathetic. 60% charge to 10% takes more than 2 hours if not gaming.

KyleSforza

Banned
sorry to burst one more bubble... :p
only backlit keyboard is not the advantage over samsung series 5..
it has FHD screen
GDDR5 graphics where as ddr3 graphics in samsung series 5(20% speed in difference)
and it has advanced better cooling system no heating issues at all....
no keyboard flex...
FHD screen on a 15.6'' display, yeah right, proves why his screenshots are smaller and less clearer. What's the use of FHD when you're barely gonna use it? :p

I do agree, GDDR5 should be better, but I haven't seen that so far, nothing in this review proved that.

I never had any heating issues either. :p

and What's a keyboard flex? lol

I have used S02 & S03. Yesterday I was comparing Y500 & S03 with few friends. We all concluded that Y500's screen is better in colour reproduction, etc(both laptops at 100% brightness). Whereas we just compared heat given out my laptop's exhaust by our hands, and S03's exhaust felt hotter........Thats it !!!

As far as support is concerned, my friend's S03's one 4GB RAM got corrupted. Service centre took that and RAM and told that it will take really long time for replacement(approx 1 month)
Series 5 comes with color adjustments in 'settings' panel, try that. I'm using Movie(bright) scheme. :)

and no that's not it, cause I just proved with screenshots that S03 is giving less heat, with more time of gameplay, and no cooling pad. :cool:

You gotta come up with better facts, or stop giving Series 5 a bad name just so your bulky laptop can gain some extra sales. :wink:

P.S. Dude, My S03's battery lasts 7 hours when not gaming, and easily 4 hours when gaming, I mostly game on battery! Probably that's why I don't have any heating issues. :p The highest I ever reached was 84C, in GTA IV.

Also Saurabh forgot to mention that Y500 also has a slower processor.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
FHD screen on a 15.6'' display, yeah right, proves why his screenshots are smaller and less clearer. What's the use of FHD when you're barely gonna use it? :p

I do agree, GDDR5 should be better, but I haven't seen that so far, nothing in this review proved that.

Series 5 comes with color adjustments in 'settings' panel, try that. I'm using Movie(bright) scheme. :)

and no that's not it, cause I just proved with screenshots that S03 is giving less heat, with more time of gameplay, and no cooling pad. :cool:

You gotta come up with better facts, or stop giving Series 5 a bad name just so your bulky laptop can gain some extra sales. :wink:

P.S. Dude, My S03's battery lasts 7 hours when not gaming, and easily 4 hours when gaming, I mostly game on battery! Probably that's why I don't have any heating issues. :p The highest I ever reached was 84C, in GTA IV.

The same reason people would buy a 5" phone having 720p display, or even 1080P.

saurabhraipur19

let me clear everybody misconception of ddr5>>dr3
yes ddr5 is 20% better than its ddr3 counterparts but but not in case of NVidia GeForce gt650m
ddr5 version of gt650m has normal clock of 735mhz and turboboost of 850mhz
ddr3 version of gt650m has normal clock of 835mhz and turboboost of 950mhz
due to the additional 100mhz and comparing several benchmarks I am pretty sure that ddr5 of gt650m is JUST 3-4% better than its ddr3.

Battery life isn't pathetic. 60% charge to 10% takes more than 2 hours if not gaming.

IMHO we are getting above 3hrs in 60% to 10% when not gaming so u can guess additional 1hr battery per cycle charge with same capacity battery.
even lenevo y580 has much better battery than y500 and both have the same capacity battery

KyleSforza

Banned
The same reason people would buy a 5" phone having 720p display, or even 1080P.

Comparing a phone display to a laptop display

*i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

Here's the thing, from my personal experience.

My old laptop had a 1366X728 display, this one has HD+ and man, the first time I turned it on, I was like, everything looks so small o_O It took me around two days to get accustomed to it.

Its very different in phone, I have used phones with different displays, never experienced anything of that sort. With resolution, they also increase the icons/text size to suit the display.

Its not like that in laptops.

tkin

Back to school!!
Comparing a phone display to a laptop display

*i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

Here's the thing, from my personal experience.

My old laptop had a 1366X728 display, this one has HD+ and man, the first time I turned it on, I was like, everything looks so small o_O It took me around two days to get accustomed to it.

Its very different in phone, I have used phones with different displays, never experienced anything of that sort. With resolution, they also increase the icons/text size to suit the display.

Its not like that in laptops.
Ever thought about scaling the DPI? Or maybe pressing control and scrolling the wheel to adjust icon size?
Make the text on your screen larger or smaller

Next time, hold a minute before you start using facepalm pics, because its ridiculous how you are fighting the Y500 over tooth and nails for the last few pages, posting stuff like, GDDR5, no matter, FHD, can't read, keyboard flex, impossibru.

And yes, even on a 15" screen FHD will give you better sharpness, the Samsung is a fantastic laptop, no doubt about it, but in past they had heating issues and once you lose your reputation its near impossible to get back, that's all.

R

Rocker00716

No doubt Y500 is good but Samsung series 5 is in demand there4 Samsung is launching new models also heating is not much der in S02, ddr3 has higher clocks so ddr5 doesn't make much difference, the ultrabay feature is useless in y500.As fr nw I'm getting max temps 84 after 2.5 hours of online AC3 gameplay.... :-D

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...

I'm not trying to give Series 5 a bad name. I was going to buy S03IN, but because Flipkart offered Y500 @64.5k(within my budget, at current price I wouldn't have bought this one) with 2yr warranty+ADP, I just bought Y500. I know that the touchpad issue would be fixed as its Lenovo.... But still everyone would agree that Y500 is better than S03IN after seeing both. S05IN is a great laptop for 60k, Y500 is overpriced for 67k.

Performance of both lappies are approx. same but Y500 looks great. Just don't see the dimensions on paper & weight. I know that on paper Series 5 is smaller & lighter but in real life difference is not much. Though Y500 is bigger than S03 but it still doesn't annoy its owner in looks dept.

As far as battery is concerned, ya its backup is a hour or maybe two less than S03(when not gaming), but still its great. And....S03 doesn't even last 3 hrs under heavy gaming, I think no laptop can last that long that much power under the hood !!!

Another pic uploaded directly .... nfsmw1.jpg

Last edited:

KyleSforza

Banned
Ever thought about scaling the DPI? Or maybe pressing control and scrolling the wheel to adjust icon size?
Make the text on your screen larger or smaller

Next time, hold a minute before you start using facepalm pics, because its ridiculous how you are fighting the Y500 over tooth and nails for the last few pages, posting stuff like, GDDR5, no matter, FHD, can't read, keyboard flex, impossibru.

And yes, even on a 15" screen FHD will give you better sharpness, the Samsung is a fantastic laptop, no doubt about it, but in past they had heating issues and once you lose your reputation its near impossible to get back, that's all.
Ok, According to your logic, Nokia used to be the best phone company in the past, so its still better than Samsung, HTC, Sony, Apple etc.?

P.S. I'm not fighting over how S03 is better, I know that on paper at least, Y500 looks better. But I'm trying to tell the OP to post some benchs which prove the difference. Not the same **** we already know about.

or I must say one thing, which we all can agree to, Y500 is for noobs, and if you are a advanced user, you should get Series 5. :p

And again Anupam, I'm not saying Y500 is inferior to Series 5, even though it has only a fraction of owners compared to the Series 5, but come on man, if you're saying its better , you gotta show where is it better? In what thing?

and oh the colors in that game, still look faded out.

tkin

Back to school!!
Ok, According to your logic, Nokia used to be the best phone company in the past, so its still better than Samsung, HTC, Sony, Apple etc.?

P.S. I'm not fighting over how S03 is better, I know that on paper at least, Y500 looks better. But I'm trying to tell the OP to post some benchs which prove the difference. Not the same **** we already know about.

or I must say one thing, which we all can agree to, Y500 is for noobs, and if you are a advanced user, you should get Series 5. :p

And again Anupam, I'm not saying Y500 is inferior to Series 5, even though it has only a fraction of owners compared to the Series 5, but come on man, if you're saying its better , you gotta show where is it better? In what thing?

and oh the colors in that game, still look faded out.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You are so funny :D :D

rider

as Kratos
*www.cavemancircus.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2012/februrary/i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore/i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_20.jpg

tkin

Back to school!!
*www.cavemancircus.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2012/februrary/i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore/i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_20.jpg
Join the line buddy :D :D