Legality of Mac OS X TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
WOW! That does not make any sense.

Why not? Firmwares, OSs, different things.

Do you think Sony Ericsson writes a custom version of their phone OS for each phone?

Yup. It's all the same basic OS, but it has to be pre-modified to suit the phone, which makes it more or less a *new* OS. You can't take a Nokia 6233's OS and dump it on a P1i. Go ahead. See what happens. If SE wanted to, they could. It would just require some modification. On the other hand, you don't have to go digging through an OSs code to modify it so it works on your hardware.

I think you (and others) are just trying to come up with ways to retain the argument that Apple is following restrictive trade policies so that you (and others) can stress on something else against Apple, now that the idea of installing it on a PC being legal has become moot.

Ouch. That was just harsh. What do we have to gain anyway?

The equation is simple: If Apple is following restrictive trade policies, then so is everyone else and it is clearly working for the betterment of everyone, not to mention the fact that all these companies are in it for the money. If they've found ways to make money while maintaining quality among their products (unlike Microsoft, with Windows), it is something to be applauded, not derided. And if what the rest of the industry is doing cannot be categorised as restrictive trade policies, then I don't how Apple's actions can be.

That sounds a lot like, "If everyone's doing it, why can't Apple?". Apple is following restrictive trade policies, come on, just accept it for once. There is a huge difference in bundling OS and firmware. You don't have a choice in firmware, it's technically unfeasible. However, you do have a choice of OS, and Apple is taking that choice away from you.

Taking choice away is Restrictive Trade.

The day every Nokia allows me to have a N95s OS on my 1110i, I will take back my above statement. Until then, no chance.

P.S. I don't really have a 1110i, just an example.

some mobos are coming with their default os (integrated with hardware) incase the installed os stops workin u can do some recovery and wrap up. You can even play videos and audio.

I want to say, "Told you so", but I'm going to refrain [too late, I guess]. Integrated OS = Extended BIOS. Look at the PSP for example, the XMB is a great example of a highly extended BIOS. Thanks for the example man.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
you do have a choice of OS, and Apple is taking that choice away from you.
How? You aren't even an Apple customer. Apple allows their own customers to install any operating system they want on their Mac and play any files in their supported formats on their iPods. How are they restricting their customers from anything?

Whether or not they want their own product to work on some other company's hardware is their right. They can do anything they want. They're not restricting anyone. It's not like Mac OS X is something people cannot live without. It's not water.

This is just ridiculous. I can't understand the logic at all. It's their OS, for goodness' sake, and it runs marvelously on their own hardware, the one it is supposed to run on. They have full right to not allow it to run on other hardware.

If I have a well maintained lawn, I should have full right to allow only the decent kids to play in it and keep out the unruly ones. If it's restrictive, then so be it. It's my right. And so is it Apple's.

Maybe I'm just not seeing what you're trying to show but I don't know; I don't think Apple is using restrictive trade policy by disallowing Mac OS X to run on non-Apple hardware. Not at all. It just comes across as the sour grapes mentality to me. I should crib about it if I don't have it. (I'm addressing it at the general public, not at anyone in particular, so there's no need to take offense or anything. I'm frank by nature.)

Let's just agree to disagree. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Arya, your knowledge of Mac & Apple amuses me sometimes, yaar why do u even blabber things u don't know about.

I m reading this thread since page 4 & ALL U guys are doing is repeating same thing. Can't wait to reach home back & reply big. mobile phone sux for pwning Macboys

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
[sarcasm]

Will you spare us the utter humiliation if we ask nicely? Please?

No?

Ah well, go ahead, I guess. Fire away. I hope I'm not utterly ashamed of myself after being mercilessly pwned by you today. God help me!

[/sarcasm]

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I haven't even started yet boy, I m just laughing at what u r typing here out of utter ignorance.

Now let gx and aayush enjoy their vacations offline.
lolz :lol:
some mobos are coming with their default os (integrated with hardware) incase the installed os stops workin u can do some recovery and wrap up. You can even play videos and audio.

But the thing that makes it virtually non feasible is the rapid hardware upgrade in PC.

I just forgot the link to the specific mobo
you must mean ASUS P5E3 Deluxe / WiFi AP
its got Splashtop, a special linux distribution that boots in seconds, and replaces the standard bios. It acts as both a BIOS and a Boot Manager, has good looks, plus, it comes with a firefox based web browser and a chat client. So you can turn on the PC and start surfing in a few seconds, and as these are stored in ROM, and Linux based, you have no fear of viruses.
Here is the list of mobos in the splashtop site:
*www.splashtop.com/get.php

kinda cool, but a software thats supposed to benifit budget users is only available on premium boards.:(

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
if u want to talk abt law the last time i chkd i read somewhr that distributing pirated stuff is against law and using it isnt so there is a huge ambiguity in law and the ground, acc to raaaboism u will not get any support for installing os x on ur pc thats that but that does not mean that u cant/shouldnt do it u can simply search for forums that will help in doing so

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
If it's restrictive, then so be it.

Bang on. It is restrictive. Allowing it to carry on, it's benefits and problems are not things that are currently under scrutiny. Make a new thread discussing the benefits of Apple's restrictive policy and everything you have posted will be relevant there. Not here.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
if u want to talk abt law the last time i chkd i read somewhr that distributing pirated stuff is against law and using it isnt so there is a huge ambiguity in law and the groun

Either way it is illegal to distribute pirated versions or using them either. The Information Technology Act and Copyright Laws deal with both cases in different ways. So all though the punishments might be different . IN either way both are offenses and are chargeable. As far as installing OS X on a PC, I don't care I just wanted to point out the above facts.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Dude, even the Imagine Apple store here in The forum mall Bangalore are using & selling pirated Office 2008 for Mac & Patched Leopard DVDs. What else would u say about Apple then.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Dude, even the Imagine Apple store here in The forum mall Bangalore are using & selling pirated Office 2008 for Mac & Patched Leopard DVDs. What else would u say about Apple then.
abey yaar im in pune and my uncle got a toshiba lappie last week there was some problem in MS outlook (trial version of office 2007) my uncle went to him that guy installed the full version (cracked) my brother 1 step further took a dump of the suite on the lappy without the knowledge of the vendor because the guy used pen drive to install :D

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=

Patched Leopard DVDs as in the type used to install Leopard on PCs?

x3060

A LOTR fan
hey am in banglore too :) . . came last month . . looking for post production opening in ittina or papricas (itpl) . . have plans to go for a call center for time being until i get a job in that field :).so hope to see you guys:)

praka123

left this forum longback
^well!u cannot vouch for them!whatever aakhir Hindustani to hai :D! they'll do more than this!hear in Cochin(kochi),the dealer reportedly helped dual-booting mbp :lol: ofcourse with pirated stuffs(a college professor from pala college said).

setting up sheesh mahals and stuffs will not bring the international feeling,ppl also shudve to ;) whatever stringent guidelines apple will issue,wont hold true with a retail/local dealer even with a benz/bentley dealer for that matter ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom