Lava Xolo X900: First Intel-based smartphone. How will it be?

X-jo

Broken In
if this gives me 24hrs of 2G usage and if am left with atleast 30% juice left, then i definitely will buy this.. i care less abt looks and more about stability and battery

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
if this gives me 24hrs of 2G usage and if am left with atleast 30% juice left, then i definitely will buy this.. i care less abt looks and more about stability and battery

You are not serious... First of all, you want to buy an Intel Atom based phone, and then you expect excellent battery from it? Seriously? Ever thought why an ARM based iPad has a battery life of 10 hours, but the best laptops you buy don't last you more than a couple of hours? You are going to trust Intel for battery life? You are going to trust Lava for good built quality? You know you can get a brand new HTC Sensation for 22k, do you?

Also, how will apps work on your device? A different Dalvik VM? Not a chance... Even when you know that different ARM processors based on similar design like Tegra and Snapdragon have incompatible apps, how can you expect support for Intel processors?

This is unreal man...

If you really want to buy a good phone, it should
a) be sold in dozens of western countries successfully, only then will you get official updates
b) be well supported on XDA

Don't buy deadbeat phones like Lava Xolo and crap like that...

sarthak

In the zone
Also, how will apps work on your device? A different Dalvik VM? Not a chance... Even when you know that different ARM processors based on similar design like Tegra and Snapdragon have incompatible apps, how can you expect support for Intel processors?

Anandtech review says that 90% of apps in android market work on it.

ajaymailed

In the zone
Ever thought why an ARM based iPad has a battery life of 10 hours, but the best laptops you buy don't last you more than a couple of hours?
i really didn't know ARM based Ipad hardware is as powerful as intel powered laptop.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
You are not serious... First of all, you want to buy an Intel Atom based phone, and then you expect excellent battery from it? Seriously? Ever thought why an ARM based iPad has a battery life of 10 hours, but the best laptops you buy don't last you more than a couple of hours? You are going to trust Intel for battery life? You are going to trust Lava for good built quality? You know you can get a brand new HTC Sensation for 22k, do you?

This is unreal man...

a) be sold in dozens of western countries successfully, only then will you get official updates

You should check the battery life images at anandtech, this phone matches that of galaxy s2 and the others handily, the X86 battery life is a pure myth.

And also, 90%+ app works on it flawlessly. In android, the apps run in a virtual environment, there is no direct hardware access, like 99% apps in windows run on Intel and AMD CPUs having different architecture. So if Intel can translate the calls, it will work. The GPU is PowerVR as I recall, so games will run good as well.

And on the build quality part, this is a reference phone, so build quality should be good.

And finally, why a laptop has less battery life than iPad: Faster processor, faster memory(and larger too), mechanical had drive and optical drive, larger display, faster GPU etc etc.

My only concern is the warranty and ASA of LAVA. They make cheap @$$ phones usually.

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
My only concern is the warranty and ASA of LAVA. They make cheap @$$ phones usually.

The phone box will have this text in small writing "Ok look kid, you bought the phone, congrats. We don't provide any after sales, so if you break this phone don't ask your mom to call us to get it repaired, its your headache then!, good luck with your new china toy" :facepalm:

Reactions: d3p

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ F*ck lava, Nokia should bring this out, with Windows OS, see how things do, they are screwed either way.

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
^^ F*ck lava, Nokia should bring this out, with Windows OS, see how things do, they are screwed either way.

Nokia is currently like Titanic, playing at full volume hoping to survive, it won't unless it surrenders to Android.
Even their much advertised Lumia 800 couldn't make up for the sales.

tkin

Back to school!!
/OT
N8 still holds as the best sub 25k cam phone, maybe nokia should screw windows OS, modify symbian belle and launch a 16mp camera phone for 20k or something, will sell as a good cam phone, lumia neither had the OS, nor the hardware.

sky770

Journeyman
Most of the apps won't work properly... Its an x86 architecture. Just because Android runs on it does not mean all apps and games will run properly...

Stick to ARM based phones...

and DEVs won't rewrite the whole thing for X86 just cause Lava & Lenovo have launched mobiles based on Intel Atom based SOC.

should probably check this out >> Anandtech's review of XOLO:-D

X-jo

Broken In

This is unreal man...

woah, chill dude.. I said if and only if... if it gives me that much juice i can go for it. See the review from AT, most of the apps works on the xolo. I don't want tons of apps, support will come for Intel slowly. I just want a phone that can give me a one day life with lots of messaging,2G. If Xolo does that good(waiting for more reviews), I dont mind buying that, provided the build quality of Lava is good this time.. not that I WILL buy it, take some time to read my friend :D

You should check the battery life images at anandtech, this phone matches that of galaxy s2 and the others handily, the X86 battery life is a pure myth.

And also, 90%+ app works on it flawlessly. In android, the apps run in a virtual environment, there is no direct hardware access, like 99% apps in windows run on Intel and AMD CPUs having different architecture. So if Intel can translate the calls, it will work. The GPU is PowerVR as I recall, so games will run good as well.

And on the build quality part, this is a reference phone, so build quality should be good.

And finally, why a laptop has less battery life than iPad: Faster processor, faster memory(and larger too), mechanical had drive and optical drive, larger display, faster GPU etc etc.

finally, someone making sense..

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
wow... guys hold the thoughts for a second and carefully read the anandtech android and x86 binary translation. intel is not dumb to produce a phone which will have less app support due to different operation structure.. not another windows phones + nokia in the making. Its simply stated that " intel is working with top companies to recompile apps so they can be used on x86 " AnandTech - Lava Xolo X900 Review - The First Intel Medfield Phone
and i think if they are able to do that it is a fantastic phone.

The phone itself looks solid in case you havent noticed. the build quality is pretty impressive and whats wrong with a indian company making such a phone? have you become so influenced by western perfection that only western international products are the best? ... like no one makes cars better than the germans, no one produces better footballers than brazil, no one makes more babies than china and lol what not
let me tell you something. the football bladders which they use in the world cup YES in international events ARE MANUFACTURED IN INDIA IN DELHI>.......... SO MUCH FOR QUALITY>>> EVER SEEN A FOOTBALL GOING POOF IN WORLD CUP?

anandtech " Normalizing for battery capacity, the X900 actually does a bit above average. In other words, the Medfield platform appears to be just as power efficient as some of the newer OMAP 4 based smartphones "

"That works out to 295 PPI and looks extremely attractive in person. I find it quite hard to pick out individual pixels, this is definitely a high PPI display that’s right up there with the best. In addition, the capacitive digitizer is excellent, I have no complaints tracking accuracy at all, again just like you’d expect from a shipping device."

that is a pretty high res screen, only the galaxy s3 has a 320 ppi screen

"The x86 power myth is finally busted. While the X900 doesn't lead in battery life, it's competitive with the Galaxy S 2 and Galaxy Nexus. In terms of power efficiency, the phone is distinctly middle of the road - competitive with many of the OMAP 4 based devices on the market today."

X-jo

Broken In
Lava Xolo X900 Mobile Phone, Price, Features, Specifications, Reviews | Tradus

Lava Xolo X900 available at tradus.in for 22k

am going to croma tomorrow to see for myself

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good phone. Compatiblity of most apps wasn't really a concern because of Dalvik.

Cortex A15 SoCs on 28/32 nm will be better. I sort of find it amusing that Anandtech hasn't posted HTC One S' tests in battery comparisons. That runs Krait.

X-jo

Broken In
Update: Intel has clarified and informed us there is no cloud aspect to binary translation, it is 100% done on the device for ARM NDK applications. -Anandtech

Sunil Raina, business head - Xolo, Lava International said, "Our first offing in the Xolo series is Xolo 900 and in the coming months we will adding one entry level Android phone that will be around Rs 10,000 and a mid-range smartphone that will be in price range of Rs 15,000."

source-*www.themobileindian.com/news/6197_Lava-to-launch-two-more-Intel-smartphones

First Unboxing of First Intel Phone - Lava XOLO X900 - YouTube
fonarena unboxing Lava Xolo X900

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Funny thing though lava is more interested in selling this product outside india... :/ sad

programmable security engine ? LOL

btw... anyone managed to root this ? yet... this can run awesome homebrew for the x86 arch

X-jo

Broken In
Funny thing though lava is more interested in selling this product outside india... :/ sad

why not? companies try to make more money only. It has world's first Intel phone, so it would want to sell it outside too. korean, hongkong peeps are trying to get their hands on this also , i read in their forums... so it will be a gud move that an Indian manufactured phone is wanted outside India :)

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys read reviews carefully he was able to run almost all apps smoothly.. i really want intel to succeed

Top Bottom