Language learners' discussion thread !! :D

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^I heard that Arabic is too tough. Though I'm not sure.

One of my friend said that I can read Arabic, or if you give me Koran, I'll read the book for you but can't define you the meanings.

I was shocked, how can one person can read a language if he/she doesn't know the meanings of words.

clmlbx

Technomancer
oK guys we all met here and said what we know and what we wish to learn but does any one has started learning something or know a way to do it.. (online, books) any resources are good. So pls mention what you guys started with and what is best or not, means con and pros of learning in a way you learned..

Frankly speaking I have no Idea where to start learning mandarin and french.. I would much more prefer a book or online way other then language classes.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Frankly speaking I have no Idea where to start learning mandarin and french.. I would much more prefer a book or online way other then language classes.
Rosetta Stone seems to have many favourable reviews. It costs a bomb though.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Hindi (Mother tongue)
English
Sanskrit
Bhojpuri (but this is not a language, rather a "dialect")
Magahi (if anyone has heard about it then yeah :p)

I plan to learn German/French for obvious reasons ;) :))

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
Thanks @icebags :)
Learning Chinese together would be a good idea. :)

Hi, krishnandu & clmlbx, i have provided some links to start with, see if you like. Chinese is straight forward language, but not easy to learn.. you will have to memorize a lot of characters and then they speak using tone and a bit in a fast pace, so you will have to work about it a lot.

If you find time to practice 3 times a week with 2 hrs session each, try to sit with a copybook and pencil :). This way I hope it will take you to a certain position after 1 year, where Chinese writing will start to look a bit much familiar. You may ask me when you have questions, I will try to answer with whatever little knowledge I have.
@freshseasons
So, you know mandarin right ? :) would you like to guide interested people in here ?
hey i want to learn one (foreign) , Please suggest me with importance...
Prioritize your requirement, :D what you need it for, job/culture/literature/art ?

Last edited:
OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
@Kola2842
I can tell Bengali literature is very rich. If you want foreign, I have read lots of novels translated from French, legendary writers there.

@Sarath
Charan is the Kannada user here, go catch him !

nims11

BIOS Terminator
@nims11,freshseason
Very interested huh ? :)) lets learn together then ? I am following the above mentioned link, its very nice, easy and elaborated - even though Japanese gets very difficult when it comes to advancement in writing. However, speaking part is not that difficult. You will basically have to learn few pages of basic grammar and sentence structure and build up you vocabs through any materials you find. Japanese Pops, animes, mangas are quite popular, so this should not be much of a problem.
When it come to writing/reading, there are 3 kinds of scripts - hiragana, katakana & kanji. Hiragana is like plain English, but has more characters, you can write most Japanese words with this I think. Katakana is same as hiragana, but used to write foreign words, that are not native to Japanese. Kanji is Chinese characters, where one character represent a whole word. i.e. if you know 3,000 different words, then you have to learn 3,000 different kanjis to rite them. It's interesting and difficult, isn't it ? so learn it after you mastered hiragana. :)

so lets start with these convos :
o hajimete kudasai ! kore hanashiga o mite !
[hajimete - start; kudasai - requesting; kore - these; hanashi - talks; mite - see ]

watashi wa icebags desu ! yoroshiku onegaishimasu. [watashi - I; wa - subject indicator; desu = Hai in hindi, yoroshiku - regard me well, onegaishimasu - please].
wathashi wa salaryman desu.

Go figure the meaning yourselves. :p
To celebrate the start you may see this inuyasha song ^.^
[YOUTUBE]Q6AnGH68V9Q[/YOUTUBE]
Also : Looking for some one skilled in Japanse to learn from, please introduce yourself if you are such person. :)

arigato icebags-san. ;)

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Nothing like that :p

But I love the urdu wordings, I mean I like to listen Urdu. The words sounds awesome.

:mrgreen: he he..to yeh masla hai...

aisa karein janab, kuch khabrein dekha karein "DD Urdu" par..udru seekhna mai koi badi mashaqqat nahi hai ..badi aasan hai..wallah koshish karenge to zaroor kamyaab honge

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
shukriya janaab :razz:

to aaiye le chalte hai aapko pehli jamaat main

sabse pehle aap urdu ke alfaaz ko dil se yaad karein..jaise alif,be,pe,te,re,jeem,che,hey,khey

*www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00urdu/urduscript/graphics/scriptchart.jpg

yahan bhi tavazzo de

Quran Reading – Online Quran Academy – Compare Us

The art to learning the new language is waiting there just till you complete the lessons.It seems pointless at a point especially after few lessons but suddenly trust me it all starts making sense.

Known languages.
1)Bengali
2)Hindi
3)Marathi
4)Gujrati

5)French
6)Mandarin
7)German

8)A Very small amount of Persian enough to make basic conversation but nothing beyond.

Would love to learn
1)Italian
2)Spanish
3)Japanese

Masterji..I want to learn german..Whats the best way to start it ?

Alphabets or greeting rattafy or ??? rattafying conversations ? (BBC Website)

Ich learnen deutsch :mrgreen:

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
wow long time no posts, people are loosing interests already ? :shock:

@nims11
how is progress nims11-san, have you memorized hiragana scripts already ?

@krishnandu.sarkar
man, you are gonna quit just because its tough ? :chucks:

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^arre to mujhse poocha hota na..waise Krishnandu..thr is no replacement of an actual teacher..whr do u live..find someone who knows urdu and take 1 hr classes daily or on weekends..its very easy..

take ur time to remember alphabets..also remember Urdu is written from right to left (sab kuch ulta :D)

I had read and written Urdu for 6 years..given annual exams also ..just learned it in 8 days when I was in 6th class by a very good teacher :) [im a product of AMU]

Aligarh Muslim University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@freshseasons..german masterji..kahan gayab ho ??

Top Bottom