Is cost of internet resonable in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingGamer

In the zone
The ISPs are smart..
if they give you fast internet, then they have less download limit -> so once you taste the speed, you keep doing it and exceed your limit hugely and have to pay for that excess downloads.

on the other hand they give slower internet with unlimited download limits, for relatively higher price.

I remember, when i was new to internet, got a MTNL triband.. and the first month bill was 5000/- :shock:
speed was 512 kbps, 4 gb free/month and 1 Rs/MB for exceeded amounts of download.
:cry:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Wrong question! The correct question is, are PRICES of a internet connection reasonable in India? (for most middle class)
Or Is cost of internet reasonable to an individual in India? this individual being a middle class person..some income bracket.. the majority.. whatever.

The cost of internet in India you ask ? Well then....
Cost of internet in India is huge... instead of getting poor people out of poverty money is being dumped by government on the internet infrastructure! Sure it creates lots of opportunities for middle class and helps improve economy greatly. But it does nothing to solve poverty, hunger and all other issues that India faces. That money can be spent to resolve these issues.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you are completely wrong.govt spends almost nothing on internet infrastructure in India & it doesn't even need to.all it needs to do is either privatize bsnl or allow private players access to bsnl landline network to provide internet services for a fee & the condition of internet will improve significantly but unfortunately indian politicians are not that far-sighted to realize the importance of internet in today's time.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
A nice chart I found online
*i.imgur.com/4jZMiVU.png

Source

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
[MENTION=2132]RCuber[/MENTION] that's a great chart. Allows you to calculate how many [strike]days[/strike] hours FUP gets over in.

So, let's look at some of the best plans available

MTNL has Fibre Thrill 6000 that gives you 100 Mbps upto 500 GB and 2 Mbps after that. Going by the chart above, you will hit FUP in 12 hours :rofl:
BSNL has Fibro ULD 16999 that gives you 100 Mbps upto 200 GB and 2 Mbps after that. Again, you will hit FUP in like less than 5 hours. :facepalm:
Airtel has Fibrenet 100GB that gives you 100 Mbps upto 100 GB and 512 Kbps after that. You will hit FUP in 2.5 hours. :rolleyes:

MTNL chargers Rs. 2050, BSNL chargers Rs. 16999 and Airtel 5999 for those plans

I am not going to even try to make sense of that price disparity

having a hard time trying to figure out what kind of usage scenarios these plans were made for.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
having a hard time trying to figure out what kind of usage scenarios these plans were made for.

Maybe, "lets screw up noob consumers" scenario? Nice analysis you had done there.
I think this chart should be framed and gifted to all the CEO's of ISP's.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
BTW my monthly average consumption is about 100-125 Gigs only. many times I don't even hit my FUP . Just last month I changed to 50mbps connection but had to settle for 75GB FUP as 100 gig one was available for 3 monthly billing cycle. I will top up additional data if needed.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Cost of internet is extremely reasonable here in India. I just pay Rs.22500 per annum for 1.8 mbps unlimited, BSNL. How can it be more reasonable? This is just 2014, internet services have just started.

Mother****er :cool:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Cost of internet is extremely reasonable here in India. I just pay Rs.22500 per annum for 1.8 mbps unlimited, BSNL. How can it be more reasonable? This is just 2014, internet services have just started.

Mother****er :cool:

I pay Rs.13560 per annum for 15MBPS 60GB FUP 2MBPS post FUP unlimited, Beam Fiber. How can it be reasonable?
I want FUP of at least 100GB and 6MBPS post FUP speed. I hope that happens soon...

Stupid Buggers :mad::pullhair::banghead:

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
just saw this in reddit.
*i.imgur.com/hLy0IbM.png

So I am not affiliated with any university... just a private citizen of Norway. (Steam download overview in comments) : pcmasterrace

tkin

Back to school!!
We all doing something about this

BSNL vs Private ISPs (Initial Test) | Manpreet's Journal
I tried to post there but the posting failed I think, here it is:

ISP: Pacenet Meghbela Private Limited - Meghbela Cable & Broadband Services Pvt. Ltd
(Plans are not updated in website)
Connection type: Copper(RJ45)
Your plan name: PMPL_POWER(plans are not uniform, different plans in different localities).
Plan price: 1,250/- incl taxes
FUP (if any): None
Pre FUP speed: 1Mbps
Post FUP speed: 1Mbps
SpeedTest: *www.speedtest.net/result/3680491408.png
PingTest: *www.pingtest.net/result/103758404.png
Screenshots: PMPL_SPEED_TEST_10_AUG_2014 - Imgur
Note: My ISP has peering, torrent connections among local users are uncapped and can hit 10MBps easily, they also have a server(actually a dozen of them), which cache torrent content and those torrents can be downloaded at 2-3MBps.
Also most popular files like youtube videos/softwares in filehippo are cached as well, as long as you are using http, not https, the connections are intercepted and files are downloaded very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom