How to convert normal BSNL broadband modem to Wi Fi?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think you misunderstood.driver install will take place in the device to which it is connected which in your case is D-Link.unless D-Link DSL-2520U comes with inbuilt drivers for LEO-NANO150N which is most certainly not the case it will not work.usb ports in modem/router usually support only pen drives & 3g usb modems(that too from a specified list & not just any 3g usb modem again because of fixed inbuilt drivers in modem/router) & nothing else.if only creating hotspot is your aim then you can simply connect wifi adapter to PC & use connectify free version for basic hotspot features.procedure is very straight forward & for help you can see instructions on connectify web site/help/faq.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^^Sorry friend, I got you. Actually I misunderstood your explanation.Now it's clear.
Well,keeping the BSNL Broadband connection (900 ULD) through DSL-2520U(D-Link) modem completely HASSLE FREE for my Desktop-PC, what connection will the LEO-NANO150N use as hotspot?
The hotspot is mainly for my Tablet surfing from another room in my house through wi-fi connection.
Where from to download connectify software?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can connect LEO to desktop & install connectify lite/free from Lite vs PRO - Connectify
it should automatically detect the broadband connection & then you can share it.for some detailed instructions you can see this:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-t...nnect-use-wifi-any-device-without-router.html

kg11sgbg

^^Friend @whitestar_999,followed the links,downloaded the software;Connectify "lite" version.

I had also received the LEO-NANO150N USB Wi-Fi adapter today,which I had already connected to a USB port on my PC.I also installed the latest Drivers based on Windows from the "Leoxsys" website.Everything O.K.
Now,when I installed the "Connectify-lite" software tool ,it is recognising the connection as "ethernet" but is failing to share the network over wi-fi.The info. box (configuration tool box) says that this is applicable (means sharing of ethernet network connection)only on "Pro" versions.

That means all my attempts are futile?

Are there any other alternative "Free methods"?
Please help Friend.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
their comparison page only states that 3g/4g connection sharing is limited in lite version but no mention of ethernet.anyway try this:
Virtual Router - Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 7 / 2008 R2 - Home

kg11sgbg

^^whitestar,I had previously installed Virtual Router(0.9 beta version)tools in Windows 7,which I am into now.

The Network name(SSID):BSNL-Connect(As per my choice)
Password: ***********(I gave a combination of alphanumeric characters)

Shared Connection: Local Area Connection(AS SHOWN IN THE DIALOG BOX)

Now when I click the button "Start Virtual Router", a message dialog box appears and says: "Virtual Router could not be started":cry:

Hence no connection.:-(

kg11sgbg

whitestar,as per your instructions,I ran and checked WLAN autoconfig.Everything is O.K. and it is already set to started and automatic.

The Local Area Connection in the network area(Control Panel -> Network and Internet ->Network Connections) shows Broadband (ethernet) as active but the Wireless Network Connection 2(WLAN)connection as disabled and passive.The drivers are shown to be installed without error(within the properties dialog).

Still running network diagnostics(As administrator) the message is: Problems Found

"There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 2 adapter" Detected (yellow exclamation mark)

Surprisingly within "Device Manager" it is showing that the 802.11n USB wireless Lan card(LEO-NANO150N) ---> The device is working properly(Inside properties dialog).

There are no yellow exclamation signs within Device Manager.

Ultimately :????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

kg11sgbg

Thanks, my Friend whitestar for taking such great pains for helping me.A true and genuine friend of knowledge.

I followed exactly according to text-book/manual book instructions...

But this message is being shown in a pop up dialog box: An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.The dependency service or group failed to start.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it seems like some service is disabled causing this error.try running those commands on another laptop/pc & if it works compare that pc's list of services to yours(services.msc) to figure out which service is not running in your pc.i will also try these commands on my cousin's laptop(my pc does not have wifi)to test & will post list of services here if successful.

kg11sgbg

^^whitestar, I am checking through the services of Windows to see which Network functions are disabled...meanwhile please provide me list of services as a cross check.

Also another query:

Suppose If I buy the TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless without Modem Router: Flipkart.com device,then how should I make connection with my D-Link DSL-2520U ADSL2+ modem/router and with the RJ45 port of my computer.I mean which one to be attached with the PC first and which will be attached thereafter with the modem.

The D-Link modem has only one RJ45 port and one RJ11 port.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i just tested it on a laptop & it works fine.these are the services running:
list of services.msc
if you get an error "group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" then you need to update the wifi drivers.

if you are thinking about getting a router then get this as it is much better for just ~200 more.
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router: Flipkart.com
for instructions you can see guides by just4kix which are good.
All my useful articles and guides

kg11sgbg

Thank you very much whitestar for the services.msc list provided.

But I have already ordered to Flipkart for the TP-Link TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless only Router(No Modem).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
try contacting their CC & tell them you want to upgrade your order by buying higher priced model.shouldn't be a problem for them to accept.i am saying this because 300mbps router has better range & is more future ready all for just ~200 more.btw do check with list i posted to figure out which service was the problem as it may help in future with similar issues.

kg11sgbg

^^A good advise & suggestion my Friend.
But,when I have the D-Link DSL 2520U ADSL2+ Modem/Router not even a year old,and performing excellent...then I don't want to dump it.
Moreover,it might be a bit complex,but still want to configure D-Link DSL-2520U + TP-Link TL-WR740N 150Mbps modem/router + wireless only router,to make a HOTSPOT within my House premises.
My House is a one-storeyed House,with a max. area of 980sq.ft approx.(floor area)
The room(s) from where I shall access Hotspot from the router(wireless) upon my PC should be within 25~40ft. range...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think there is some confusion.you don't have to dump your D-Link if you get 300mbps router because it is not modem just an upgraded version of 150mbps router you already ordered.with a wifi router there is no need to to anything extra & your NANO wifi adapter will simply work as a receiver to receive wifi signals from the wifi router to connect to net.

kg11sgbg

oooh! sorry whitestar for the confusion.
But the one I ordered TP-Link TL-WR740N 150Mbps wireless router is costing me Rs.1,039/-

While the one which you suggested TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps wireless router cots Rs.1,753/- at Flipkart.

Friend a difference of Rs.714/- and not ~Rs.200/- as you mentioned.:|

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was thinking about another model(with 3g hence the high cost).

well if difference is 714 then it's upto you.a 300mbps router will come in handy in a multiple floor house/building though.

kg11sgbg

My House is a one-storeyed House,with a max. area of 980sq.ft approx.(floor area)
The room(s) from where I shall access Hotspot from the router(wireless) upon my PC should be within 25~40ft. range...

Friend whitestar already mentioned...

Top Bottom