How to convert normal BSNL broadband modem to Wi Fi?

Rockstar11

Technomancer
I have BSNL broadband connection and BSNL ADSL Modem UT-300R2U. It has got two ports ethernet port and USB and Ethernet port. I want to know that is there any facility or a dongle available which can be connected to USB port direct on modem and I can convert the signal to Wi-Fi as then I will have the facility of using my Iphone from anywhere in the home.

Laptop : Ethernet port
Iphone : Wi Fi

can i use both at the same time??

i dont want to buy Wifi modem and WIFi Router

and my laptop dont have built in wifi.

Last edited:
OP
Rockstar11

Rockstar11

Technomancer
How about getting a WiFi router ! or else use Connectify to make you lappy as hotspot

no I dont want to buy WIFi Router also.

and my laptop dont have built in wifi.

can a Wireless Usb adapter used as a router?

i have netgear wireless usb adapter.

Last edited:
OP
Rockstar11

Rockstar11

Technomancer
I also have the same question. Can I convert the normal BSNL landline modem in to Wi-Fi modem so that i can use the internet on my laptop without wires. I also have the same type of modem with USB and eathermet port.

koi to rasta hoga....

OP
Rockstar11

Rockstar11

Technomancer
Today I talked to one of my friend who is in networking field. He said, it is not possible because how will you set the address and how to install the drivers and other things.

But still then I think it is possible. Anyone here please help.

hmmm.. i am serching if any cheap and small dongle typ device which can connect to direct modem and make WIFI modem... ???? :confused:

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
yup u can plug in the wireless usb adapter and use connectify to share the internet

if u buy modem my review : I use TP-LINK WR702N to share my connection on my android phone

Sorry for bad english

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Buy a WIFI router with USB/3GModem Support and forget the complications. thats the best solution

harmandeep

VirTuaLiZaTioN Freak
just simply purchase a Cheap VFM Wireless Router - such as TP LInk 740N (online --- 1050/-) and u just need to connect cables --- and it will start working out of the box --- and if u come across any HASSLE - community is here to sort it out.

Believe me --- GO for Wireless Router rather than Wireless Adapter - for the purpose of Sharing INTERNET

krishnendu

Journeyman
You can not use Wireless and Ethernet simultaneously, its not allowed on BSNL home planes. Which modem you are using, I could have told you details if I knew the modem company name.
Open firefox or other browser, go to 192.168.1.1 it will ask a ID and Password. Give the ID & pass.

id: admin and pass: admin
and then you will see the modem config page. Don't mess with it unless you know everything, just find the wireless option and check on it. thats it.:wink:

Last edited:
OP
Rockstar11

Rockstar11

Technomancer
You can not use Wireless and Ethernet simultaneously, its not allowed on BSNL home planes. Which modem you are using, I could have told you details if I knew the modem company name.
Open firefox or other browser, go to 192.168.1.1 it will ask a ID and Password. Give the ID & pass.

Please don't spread this method and the id pass elsewhere. please.
id: admin and pass: admin
and then you will see the modem config page. Don't mess with it unless you know everything, just find the wireless option and check on it. thats it.:wink:

BSNL ADSL DATAONE Modem UT-300R2U

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
@Forum Friends,how about this wi-fi adapter;to be used as hotspot within my House?Can it be used as a hotspot device for BSNL connection?
I am under BSNL Dataone Broadband 900ULD Plan(wired-ethernet connection obviously).
Modem :---> D-Link DSL-2520U ADSL2+ modem/router

yup u can plug in the wireless usb adapter and use connectify to share the internet

How to apply connectify,any configuration/settings or do I need to apply any other tools? Please mention the procedures.

Last edited:

kg11sgbg

Friends,already purchased the Wi-Fi adapter.
My D-Link DSL-2520U ADSL2+ modem/router has an USB port(also a USB compatible port chord/wire provided).Can I connect the Wi-Fi adapter in this modem,and make it a hotspot access point within my house premises?
Please reply and help me friends.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
not possible.any complex usb device need driver install to function & for this it needs either a full fledged OS like windows/linux or it needs a custom OS(like those 3g wifi routers which supports various 3g usb modems).that usb port is v1.1 supporting basic usb devices or pen drives only.

kg11sgbg

^^But whitestar,the device may reach me tomorrow or the next day(already shipped by ebay through DTDC).The manufacturers(Leoxsys) are also packaging an auto installation CD for drivers.

According to them:--->
Complies with wireless 802.11b/g/n standards with data rate up to 150Mbps
Standard: 802.11b/g/n, 802.3, 802.3u
USB 2.0 interface
Supports 20 MHz/40 MHz frequency width
Auto-detects and changes network transmission rate
Provides two work modes: Infrastructure and Ad-Hoc
Supports software AP and building your wireless LAN.
Green Power Saving : supports smart transmit power control and auto-idle state adjustment
Security: 64/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2 encryption methods, 802.1x authentication standards
System requirements: Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac OS X, Linux
Adapter size: 23 x 14 x 5 cm
Net weight: 30 g

So a bit hopeful my Friend.

Simply put, D-Link DSL-2520U + Mini Wireless Wi-Fi Nano USB Adapter Dongle WiFi Dongle(LEO-NANO150N), can this be a POSSIBLE or VIABLE connection & configuration for wi-fi HOTSPOT access point?

Last edited:
Top Bottom