High Definition Television in India News\Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
@naveen
In my earlier post i commented on the "news" that's posted.

DTH,
in terms of picture quality as seen on a 32' 4:3 signal stretched on a 1366x768 sony panel,

TATASKY A+
DDDirect B
DishTV E (You are better off watching YouTube's FLV videos).!

i dont get ur point widescreen... ok tell me which one of the DTH player can give me a superior qualtiy video with widescreen resolution .... ??? for all channles..

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
@naveen_reloaded,

Currently ive seen DWTV on DDDirect+/DishTV having a dedicated feed of 16:9 (widescreen) signals during most of their programming. No black bars, no cropped in videos full 16:9 glory!

Widescreen resolution is a rare sight on other channels.

Do not buy current generation STBs, unless they come with HDMI or component sources/outputs

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Are there stb.s which support hdmi? Man that would be awesome if any player takes advantage...

But we can only dream...

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Dish TV does provides STBs with D-Sub output port for connection with LCD TVs to get better picture quality but thing is they aren't officially sold so u need to have a hook up with Dish guys.

utsav

damn busy...
@naveen
In my earlier post i commented on the "news" that's posted.

DTH,
in terms of picture quality as seen on a 32' 4:3 signal stretched on a 1366x768 sony panel,

TATASKY A+
DDDirect B
DishTV E (You are better off watching YouTube's FLV videos).!

haha. You must be joking! Right?. I have DishTV and my neighbour has tatasky and both have no difference is quality. And dd direct's quality is like cable tv(not very bad though).

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Dish TV does provides STBs with D-Sub output port for connection with LCD TVs to get better picture quality but thing is they aren't officially sold so u need to have a hook up with Dish guys.

yes i too saw it ... whatever the output is ... unless the channels themeselves improve the channel quality there wont be any significant quality change...

anyway .. i hope soon some player realise that widescreen with HDMI + HD channels is the most wanted stuff among TV viewers... and provide them...!!! fingers crossed !!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Most of the TV viewing crowd is not from big cities. But complement of the Set of Cities/Metros.
They can't afford a HDTV or are genuinely not interested in one.
I guess am perfectly right here !

So keep your fingers crossed, you might get to watch HDTV on DTH .. only few channels though, ESNP, NGC, Discovery etc.
Since not all have HDTV it does not make business sense for tv channels to go HD... isn't it ?

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
If I was a business man in one of this DTH companies, I would go ahead and broadcast HD channels. The companies will claim that their new HD channels will have high quality picture and sound even in regular TV's :p. The company doesnot care if their customers are having HDTV's or not, all they want to do is push the technology. This is the same case when DVD Players hit the market, people asumed that VCD's will also be DVD quality :p.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
^^^ absolutely right ....

i have seen many companies teaming with other companies (airtel + nokia for eg ) to push the technology ....

if that's so... then why would dishtv first introduce DTH when there are no other and no one willing to take that costly thing to each house when their cable where just fine ...

may be i am wrong ... but what i am saying is the company which takes initiative will gain more profit than the ones who come late...

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
don't tell me ... you can't watch HD on SDTV. Once that fact is out clearly and widely, it will spread faster then fire.. with the laymen about the DTH guys fooling them.
No way the entire middle class can afford HDTV along with the PREMIUM DTH. You know HD is supposed to be PREMIUM that is.

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
Dish TV, TataSky plan to roll out DVR technology

SOURCE With competition hotting up in the direct-to-home television segment after the entry of Reliance Big TV and Bharti Airtel DTH, market leader Dish TV and TataSky are planning to introduce DVR technology around Diwali time to stay a step ahead.

The Digital Video Recorder (DVR), which allows viewers to record programmes in one channel while watching another and play according to convenience, is being billed as the next big thing in the evolving Indian DTH market.

"This, of course, will be a premium productand we plan to announce the launch of DVR technology platform for our DTH service very soon. It will be a Diwali gift to our customers," TataSky Chief Marketing Officer Vikram Mehra said.

Similarly, market leader Dish TV is also readying to roll out its DVR platform.
"Our launch of DVR is expected around Diwali and our offer will have 140 hours of recording time," Dish TV Chief Operating Officer Salil Kapoor said, adding the set top boxes for the DVR were expected to cost around Rs 10,000 each.

Their new rivals Bharti and Reliance Big entertainment are also readying DVR platform. While an RCom official said soon the company would unveil DVR, industry sources said Bharti DTH may also launch the same thing.

one would rather get a PC TV tuner and a 100 dvd pack :p

Last edited:

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
^^^ awesome .. how many channels can i record at the same time ??? man i will record movies .. while i watch the cricket matches...

anyway is there a away to import them to pc or to hard drive ??

thnks for the news... widescreen.... please keep updating us with more news...

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
To prevent exactly that, the PC portability, the DVR will probably have its own encryption and copy prevention system as earlier companies were dead against it citing it as "Piracy" but soon realized its market and have now started bundling it in their STB. BUT who knows they might allow us to do so otherwise u know there is a workaround to everything. ;)

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
I think it's better to use a TV Tuner card and record in PC. The possibilities of the recording in various formats and sizes is better than "pay 10000 bucks and record 140 hrs of (copyprotected) television"

Bandu

Journeyman
AFAIK, Tata Sky uses the Sky+ STB from UK. Sky+ has the same DVR technology that is proprietary and does not allow copying stuff out of the box, but it wasn't difficult for users to find a way around it. All that was needed was an additional box that would intercept the signal before it goes to the TV and record / rip it off. That signal sure is unencrypted - otherwise that would mean having a Tata proprietary TV.

This Tata DVR has an inbuild HDD (500 GB, I guess) that allows users for upto 140 hours of recording. As Snake said, its proprietary - neither NTFS nor FAT. Its something else that makes hacking it difficult. But, I did read about (long back) a freely available open source software that allows a new HDD (like 1TB) to be formatted to this Sky+ format to replace the one in there. It also has an option to defrag the existing HDD without losing its contents. Due to legal issues though, this so called software still does not allow you to rip off the recorded programs. But someone sure will come up with a tool to rip these programs off from that HDD (or maybe someone already has).

And, finally, just in case, if you are curious about the USB port on the back of this SKY+ DVR box... its not for PC connection, its is a service port (like for upgrading the firmware, etc).

Although TV Tuner card option is much better for the techies, the DVR box would mean a lot for n00bs / non-PC users.

Edit: Some corrections and an answer to Naveen's question:

Naveen: You can record a max of 2 channels. If you are watching a channel, then only one "other" channel can be recorded as its somehow assumed that the you would pause/rewind the channel that you are watching. That leaves you with another channel (that you are not watching) to be recorded. If, say, you are not at home and the TV is switched off, you can schedule 2 channels to be recorded.

Correction: It has a 160GB HDD and not a 500 GB HDD.

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
last time i tried to record a f1 rzce on my dvr lg tv, a msg. popped on the screen, it said "the program/... is copy protected, terminating current recording........":x:|

damn, i thought Tata sky were adding some other feature iin sky+ (like hd broadcast:p), sky+ is of no use to me, co my tv itself hav dvr function with 33hour of recording space.

crap.

i hate these slooooooooow indian businees men:x

btw, how many versions of HD are their?

i know two/three-
1. HD
2. Super HD
3. ultra HD (i think:p)

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well most of the things that they show on those shows(pun unintended) is old compared to what is new by the time and most of the things is complete BS. These shows are only good for n00bs, I used to watch Tech 2.0 earlier but now don't as don't like ita nymore neither do have the time to do so.

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz

*xs133.xs.to/xs133/08463/mtnl-aksh-optfibre-logos751.jpg

MTNL and Aksh announce Multi play and High Definition Television viewing for Indian customers on Fibre To The Home (FTTH)

New Delhi, November 10, 2008- MTNL in association with Aksh Optifibre Ltd, the second largest company in the Indian Optical Fibre cable industry, today launched India’s first Multi play Service and High Definition Television on ‘Fibre To The Home’ Services. Replacing the traditional copper line from the exchange to the home called “the last mile connectivity” with full end-to-end fibre connection would mean allowing the customers of MTNL to experience world class tele-viewing and internet browsing experience from the comfort of their homes.

MTNL upgraded its broadband infrastructure about three years ago and is currently based on a fibre backbone but the 'last mile' connections between homes and telephone exchanges are almost entirely copper-based. With implementation of Fibre To The Home (FTTH) on last mile connectivity would place India in the league of technologically advanced countries like China, Singapore, Japan and UK where majority of fixed-line operators have replaced their last-mile copper connections with fibre. MTNL with this demonstration have proven the concept of Fibre To The Home (FTTH) creating space for multi play- high speed fibre-to-home broadband internet, IPTV and high definition television.

“MTNL believes in providing the latest technology at cost effective prices. We are working closely technology partners like Aksh, to meet the challenge of providing fibre based solutions to all homes in our area of operation. This fibre technology will enable us to bring faster higher-quality, high-definition content and more interactive capabilities to our subscribers than any other platform which exists today. This also places MTNL in the company of leading Telecom operators of the world" said Shri. R.S.P Sinha, Chairman & Managing Director, MTNL

Dr. Kailash Choudhari, Managing Director, Aksh Optifibre Ltd commenting on the launch said “The constraint placed by the “last mile” copper wire from providing multi play and high definition tele-viewing services will be removed by the availability of Fibre To The Home connectivity. This will allow the end users who have invested in High Definition televisions to enjoy the benefits of their investment in the latest technology. Aksh is proud to announce that Multi Play and High Definition TV is no more a distant dream but an Indian reality”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom