High Definition Television in India News\Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

paroh

Padawan
They are not able to maintain the dvd so how will they provide HD quality. It is just like that mtnl or bsnl providing 2mbps with 400mb of limited download

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Instead of going to HD first, why wont they ask the indian channels to improve their quality, coz it sucks big time..,

Only sun network is giving quality video...and sound!
Others suck

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
@ IronManForever,
Sorry, typo at Source. :p

Should've been "500000 subscribers within two months of launch" .

Big TV charts plan to bring HD content into India

SOURCE Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (ADAG) owned Big TV, that has recently entered the nascent but highly competitive direct-to-home (DTH) segment, is planning to offer high definition (HD) content in India by buying thousands of hours of programming from international channels and packaging them here. With widescreen, crystal clear cinematic picture and surround sound, HD content is expected to attract niche viewership once it catches on in the country. Such content is created through special cameras and high-end technology.

Although dearth of HD compliant TV sets and HD content have stymied the growth of HD services in India, that is set to change by the turn of the year. While television manufacturers like Sony are planning to bring HD-compliant TV sets to India, a few HD channels are also expected to be in place by then. Arun Kapoor, president, Big TV, said, “We can buy a few thousand hours of programming from international channels and package them in India as a channel.”

Broadcasters like Star, Sony and ESPN have HD content internationally, which could be brought to India, say industry sources. Niche services like HD content are crucial for attracting viewership in top Indian markets. As such, in the DTH business, average revenue per user (ARPU) is very low at Rs 200 per subscriber, said Kapoor. Big TV has identified that the revenue in the top 100 markets in India will be driven by value-added-services and HD content and are high ARPU markets, while the revenue for the rest of India will be driven by subscriptions.

“Next year, Big TV hopes to showcase 15-20 HD channels. Currently, the set-top-box of all DTH players except for Big TV is Mpeg 2 compliant which does not support HD content.

---

_edit_

Last edited:

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
@widescreen...

i wasnt able to understand ur reply bro...

anyway keep the news comming .. u rock..

we atleast need one HD movie channel...
anyway thnks agian..

hope i will put my HD tv into real action soon

iinfi

mekalodu
btw i have Big TV and have Full HD Series 5 Samsung 32" LCD
in all channels lot of pixelation occurs and images are not clear. there is no sharpness in the images. (images look something like, if u try to zoom the image taken off a 1MP camera fone, the way it gets blur) imagine moving objects in that manner.
is this because BIG TV doesnt support full HD?? i bet there isn't any problem with my TV.
this effect is more pronounced when i watch football when there are fast moving images.

any idea wat i can do abt this.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@iinfi & Naveen : Is the picture aceptable or total waste? Should I reconsider buying a LCD TV? :-s

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Any LCD TV U buy will upscale the video cos real HD broadcast isn't widely available in India yet. The best quality I have seen on a 24" Dell LCD is with Big TV.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
in Tata Sky, you can set the Aspect ratio of output.
4:3 or 16:9

i think other DTH set top box have that option.

video quality is same. i.e. crappy:p

only the original DVD movies give a meaning to my LG 42 LCD TV.
ex. - video quality of Chronicles of Narnia is just spetacular:))

Tata Sky & dvdrips:oops: - the video quality is bad.

saw a dvd rip on 42" tv, its too pixelated, but that same video on a 29" CRT gives DVD video quality.

Waiting for Tata Sky+ (existing users will get a offer to upgrade):))

@Charan, if you/family watch movies on DVD, then buy the HD tv, otherwise settle for non HD TV & save that money for when some DTH provider/channel give HD stuff.

iinfi

mekalodu
4:3 or 16:9 the video output is the same ...crappy

i had read quite a lot of reviews wrt to performance and quality of picture and prices of LCD TVs on the net b4 settling for Samsung LCD Series 5.
i didnt know it wud not display images properly even with DTH services.
btw

@Charan. you normally buy a TV which sud serve you for 10 years at least. so i wud suggest you go ahead and buy Full HD TV only and enjoy its benifits in 2-3 years time when many channels are likely to b full HD.
the picture quality is acceptable. you will get used to it in 2-3 weeks of buying the TV. its not that bad ....

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Instead of going to HD first, why wont they ask the indian channels to improve their quality, coz it sucks big time..,

Only sun network is giving quality video...and sound!
Others suck

Ejacktly, but this doesn't strike those teenie minie heads of the people who can make dis possible

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
thats true.. coz upgrading cost them hell of a money .. and why would they spend it on a viewing population who needs HD/better video of less than 2-5 % and remaining who dont care how the video clarity is ....

and yes s18000rpm i agree that those option in dishtv where u can select 16:9 is nothing but few letters doing nothin... and this is really terrible considering there is a option in the first place to do something...

why cant they atleast give us 16:9 screen video ??

and how about stereo sound ??? nothing .. only in fee Zee channels.. others.. nothing ...

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
@naveen
In my earlier post i commented on the "news" that's posted.

DTH,
in terms of picture quality as seen on a 32' 4:3 signal stretched on a 1366x768 sony panel,

TATASKY A+
DDDirect B
DishTV E (You are better off watching YouTube's FLV videos).!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
How is Airtel Digital TV ??
Its also MPEG 4 according to the website.

Isn't Airtel TV, Dish TV all DVD Quality broadcast ?? or is it still same old SD ??

btw, nice initiative W i d e s c r e e n
we need more of True HD now ;) !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.