Graphics Cards related queries here.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Piyush :smile:

hey skud..good morning :grin:....Can u plz give me the link...!

Good Morning, Max.

Check all ;):-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/143795-hd6950-vs-560ti-5.html#post1456789

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/144045-ordered-n560gtx-ti-twin-frozr-ii-oc.html#post1456514

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/144001-good-gpu-my-config-2.html#post1456513

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...rds-related-queries-here-461.html#post1456512

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
But it shouldn't be kept at 80% or more fixed for all the time.:neutral:
Have I said it should be kept 80% all the time? Honestly mate, you should have suggested the above thing in the very first post before labeling HD 6950 as a "relatively hot" card and scaring people away (also in the other thread). Reference HD 6950 is 4-5~ degrees hotter than reference GTX 560 Ti on load. (Anandtech) Quite honestly, OCers don't give a damn.

btw, vamsi's HD 4890 is at 70% constant. Fan hasn't died till now.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Have I said it should be kept 80% all the time? Honestly mate, you should have suggested the above thing in the very first post before labeling HD 6950 as a "relatively hot" card and scaring people away. (also in the other thread) Reference HD 6950 is 4-5~ degrees hotter than reference GTX 560 Ti on load. (Anandtech) Quite honestly, OCers don't give a damn.

btw, vamsi keeps his HD 4890 at 70% constant. Fan hasn't died till now.

Never knew i am so scary:lol: Anyways i suggested that fact in the perfect time.

I never labeled 6950 as a hot card at stock but when you highly overclock the card. Reference 6950's should not be overclocked like crazy and that was my whole point. Temperatures play a vital role here more than other gpu's in its class because its relatively warmer.

Again temps are variable and vary from game to game and benchmark to benchmark. Since you bought 560-ti to the picture- check here.

In the above example, the difference between stock 6950 and 560-ti is 11c. Now i don't say its hot but relatively warm. I don't even say anandtech as wrong because in their testing bench, it didn't get that hot but did in guru 3d's load tests. So they vary.

Overclockers do give a d@mn to temperatures and always go for better cooling solutions before overclocking a chip to extreme levels. Applies to both cpu and gpu & i very well know that you know this fact.

My message or post wasn't meant to scare people away but aware them that highly overclocking an already warm reference card without setting proper fan profiles may lead to instability or chip damage in the long run. I have written "may" because its a possibility and not an established fact. People may or may not believe me.

For serious overclocking, opting for reference cards (560-ti or 6950) is a bad choice. Here non-reference cards are the first choice because they are designed to handle heat. When nvidia or amd design a reference card , they design it to handle the stock clock efficiently. Similarly, when intel releases a chip, we can't overclock it highly with a stock cooler can we? Same rule applies here.

Increasing them northwards will need a reference cooler to keep temps at check and offer better stability.
That's why we see Twin frozr's, direct cu's, toxic's, soc's, amp's etc from various third party board board makers like asus, sapphire, msi ,gigabyte, zotac etc...etc.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, people are easily hitting over 900 Mhz with their reference HD 6950s (800 Mhz) safe and sound with temps well under control. Depends whether you prefer it or not.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ I have seen 970mhz on a reference gigabyte 6950 with 1.3v (overvolting). Temps were always past 90c even with high fan profiles and reviewers mentioned them as "toasty".

And yes i prefer lower temps rather than a few high fps.
Good for the longevity of the gpu. I don't expect everybody to follow my ideologies though.
A sane overclocker will know exactly what he's doing.

d3p

PowerHouse
Guys, I was getting avg of 30fps while playing Metro 2033 the otherday, so i'm planning to get another GTX570 Sonic Platinum & make a SLI.

I have few queries, that need to be clarified & i hope i'm in the right thread.

Q1: Is it worth to have a 570 SLI ?? I have read the following article [click here], but still confused with 1080p gaming.

Q2: If i'm opting for SLI, then can a Corsair AX850 can handle my rig [check my signature for my config]

Checked the Prices of PSU's locally.

CM Silent Pro M1000w - 9.5k + tax

Corsair AX850w - 11k + tax

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ well, only to play one game @ 1080p - Metro 2033? I'd say not. GTX 570 can max out other games very well. I don't think you need anything above it.

d3p

PowerHouse
Its not the question of only playing Metro, but lot of upcoming other games too.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^On a serious note:

Q1. For 1080p, probably atm not needed, barring a couple of games like Metro.

Q2: If you bite the bullet, Corsair AX850 would be able to handle it without much fuss. Even CM Silent Pro 1000W can.

With new GPU coming out in another 3-4 months, may be you can wait. In any case, prices of current graphics cards will reduce.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Don't compare all the games' performance in comparison of Metro. Metro is one hell of a highly demanding game and can kill even today's highest end single GPUs in the highest settings. But that does not mean that all the upcoming games will be more demanding like Metro 2033. GTX 570 is a very good card and it can play all the upcoming games for at least 1 year from now.
If you really wanna Multi-GPU setup then wait a bit for that kind of demanding games first...but this is not the time for a 570 SLI.

Consider the example of the original Crysis...when it is released, most powerful card of that time, 8800 GTX can't play it in high setting and even today's high end cards struggle to play it in the highest details @ 1080P.
There are games available which looks better than Crysis and are less demanding...Crysis Warhead is a perfrct example of it, a better looking game with less demand for hardware. The sole reason is games are also getting optimized to provide better performance in less resouces.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tell me one thing, first there was Oblivion, then of course, Crysis, and now Metro 2033 - are these game way ahead of the cards of their generation or they are just badly optimized? If they are so ahead of their times, then how come other games look better, have more features and yet performs better?

d3p

PowerHouse
Thanks for the inputs Cilus & Skud.

OT: Just travelling to States next week & i do have a bagful of upgrades going in my mind.

1. GPU.
2. SSD.
3. GPU for a friend
4. If time, me & my cash survives till the end, then get a iphone4.

Now, i don't want to loose this opportunity of having 20kgs of bagful items, instead of empty bags.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about selling the current 570 and getting something beefier? ;)

d3p

PowerHouse
How about selling the current 570 and getting something beefier? ;)

I even thought the same for meanwhile, but later there are lot of question for selling it even.

First of all i got it for my bro as gift & purchased a gtx580 for myself, later after reaching home i found i can't run GTX580 due to power supply constraint, so i gave it to my bro & used his 570, which was again purchased from US & don't have any valid warranty in india. that's a real headache.

d3p

PowerHouse
So what to get then in PSU's.

1. Cooler Master Silent Pro M100w - 9.5k. +ve reviews, but lots of complain for noisy fans at peak loads.
I have used a CM silent pro 600w for more than a year & i never observed it.
Specially i like the anit-vibration pads, which are provided along with the PSU's, which Corsair lag with. Wires are quite long to handle Monster Cabinets & warranty even is good, not a single question asked, as CM rules locally.

2. Corsair AX850w - 11k. Best in its class, no doubts about it.

deepak_ds

Broken In
i operate to a max resolution of 1440x900... so its not hardcore.. i want it to b of 1GB GDDR5.. is there any good option? PSU-300W..!!
C2D-E4400, DDR2 2GB
i need it for just moderate gaming. like smooth operation of NFS HOT PURSUIT 2010...
price range max 6k...!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Guys, I was getting avg of 30fps while playing Metro 2033 the otherday, so i'm planning to get another GTX570 Sonic Platinum & make a SLI.

I have few queries, that need to be clarified & i hope i'm in the right thread.

Q1: Is it worth to have a 570 SLI ?? I have read the following article [click here], but still confused with 1080p gaming.

Q2: If i'm opting for SLI, then can a Corsair AX850 can handle my rig [check my signature for my config]

Checked the Prices of PSU's locally.

CM Silent Pro M1000w - 9.5k + tax

Corsair AX850w - 11k + tax

I suggest not to invest in another 570 right now and stay content with a single card.

The reason is , new gpu's are just around the corner and if the early speculation are true, they will obliterate the current gpu's in both performance and rendering techniques. Amd has said that its next gen gpu's will have the ability to render "AVATAR" like in game graphics.

Nvidia is silent about kepler but i think that will also deliver in the same line. Both amd and nvidia are switching to completely new architectures and as rumors suggest, a 10k next-gen card can easily beat a current gen 30k card.

So i think spending so much now is not wise imo. Wait out for next gen cards.:smile: