Graphics Cards related queries here.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
^^Exactly... As in my case, both cards are single slotted so no diff in temps... Thanks for the info though..

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is, especially for 6950 based cards. At stock they work fine but still with relatively high operating temps. Once you push them , you never know what will happen and keeping the fan speeds above 80% will simply worsen the fan life & things might go bad from there.
I've seen lots of HD 4800 and OCed HD 4800 cards being at 80+ degree Celsius at load and still working fine. Overclockers aren't sooo paranoid about temperatures. Pseudo-overclockers are.

Heck even OCed GTX 470 and GTX 480s are working fine for most people.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I've seen lots of HD 4800 and OCed HD 4800 cards being at 80+ degree Celsius at load and still working fine. Overclockers aren't sooo paranoid about temperatures. Pseudo-overclockers are.

Heck even OCed GTX 470 and GTX 480s are working fine for most people.

They do but its always wise to keep temps at check. 480 and 470 were hot cards and that's why nvidia had to work on the cooling department for the 580 and 570.

You don't distinguish overclockers and pseudo overclockers. Its always ones personal take to overclock a chip. Manufacturers don't push a user to overclock a product. Its done totally at ones own risk.

And running at 80% fixed fan speed will deteriorate fan life without warning and can risk gpu overheating. So its also wise to set fan profile for specific temps so that when temps increase, fan speeds are gradually stepped up automatically. Anybody arguing on this fact can always try practically and face consequences. At 80% + constant fan speed, the noise also increases severely and i have personally tested it in my card and cilus's 6870. The noise is intolerable and you can actually feel the fan giving in.

Personally i don't recommend anybody to push a reference 6950 to higher limits just for fun. Its a pretty powerful card at stock and doesn't need to be pushed.

If anybody wants to push a 6950, he/she can spend 1k and get a non-reference card like the TF 2 and TF 3 power edition. Those handle heat better.

But still anybody pushing a reference 6950 can do it but completely at the user's risk. I personally recommend pushing a reference 6950 to 50 mhz level to keep temperatures at check. Anything over that is bad for the longevity of the card imo because heat always reduces efficiency of any microprocessor cpu or gpu.

Its totally a generic statement.

Last edited:

MegaMind

Human Spambot
But still anybody pushing a reference 6950 can do it but completely at the user's risk. I personally recommend pushing a reference 6950 to 50 mhz level to keep temperatures at check. Anything over that is bad for the longevity of the card imo because heat always reduces efficiency of any microprocessor cpu or gpu.

Also thats the reason, Sapphire has come up with a revised cooler design..

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
They do but its always wise to keep temps at check. 480 and 470 were hot cards and that's why nvidia had to work on the cooling department for the 580 and 570.

You don't distinguish overclockers and pseudo overclockers. Its always ones personal take to overclock a chip. Manufacturers don't push a user to overclock a product. Its done totally at ones own risk.

And running at 80% fixed fan speed will deteriorate fan life without warning and can risk gpu overheating. So its also wise to set fan profile for specific temps so that when temps increase, fan speeds are gradually stepped up automatically. Anybody arguing on this fact can always try practically and face consequences. At 80% + constant fan speed, the noise also increases severely and i have personally tested it in my card and cilus's 6870. The noise is intolerable and you can actually feel the fan giving in.

Personally i don't recommend anybody to push a reference 6950 to higher limits just for fun. Its a pretty powerful card at stock and doesn't need to be pushed.

If anybody wants to push a 6950, he/she can spend 1k and get a non-reference card like the TF 2 and TF 3 power edition. Those handle heat better.

Its totally a generic statement.

Any OC'er will keep temperatures at check. And I think it is valid, if someone wants to OC a non-reference GPU, then they can run the fan profile at 80% constant. They are made to run at these speeds and will not die out. A lot of users, who are scared to open their GPUs, since the shroud collects dust and it overall runs hot (even on stock) go the way of permanently increasing the fan speed.

It is the balance of OC vs. various other over heads which come with it.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes you can push a non-reference gpu because its simply designed to handle higher clocks keeping temps at check. But the question here is about reference cards that run hot. They should not be pushed like crazy & temps should be checked.

I think setting variable fan profile is a better option for fan longevity rather than setting it to 80%+ constant. Better to be safe than sorry.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Ok here's a detailed step to create variable fan speed profiles:

Use MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision.

Click 'setting' set up custom 'Fan Settings' and check the 'Start with Windows Startup' and 'Start Minimized' box on the graph settings area and you'll be good to go without thinking about it again.

There are six points you set up manually on the fan grid. Also make sure on Afterburner default area you have the green button checked with option to 'Apply at Window Startup' checked as well.

If you double click on the graph it will switch between 'step up' and 'curve'. Use the 'curve' graph.

40C-30%
50C-40%
60C-50%
70C-60%
80C-75%
90C-95%

The fan goes higher as the temps go up so by 90C your hitting 95% fan where it should be at that point. Too high and your over running your fan at lower temps in my opinion where it dosen't really have to be. You'll find your own sweet spot depending on your card as they each are a bit different depending on series and brand.

Good luck to all potential overclockers.:smile:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
And running at 80% fixed fan speed will deteriorate fan life without warning and can risk gpu overheating.
Just create a custom fan profile according to temps using Rivatuner/Afterburner and be done with it. People are OCing their reference HD 6950s safe and sound without any issues.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
I just saw someone saying that at fan noise becomes intolerable at 80% etc etc.
Nothing like that. The noise just blends with speaker and ceiling fan noise. No disturbance in gaming. This is my case and i am sure half of mine sys' noise is amd stock cpu cooler :-D
and 80% fan speeds are safe. The fan wont die before u go into the condition of upgrading.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
:+1:

Actually forget speakers, once you turn on the ceiling fan (which all those living in plains are definitely doing ;)), the noise of the graphics card fan simply disappear.

And no need to ramp up the fan speed at idle. So basically you are running it at 80% or more for 2-3 hrs daily on an average. I don't think the fan is going to die soon at that level of "torture".

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Just create a custom fan profile according to temps using Rivatuner/Afterburner and be done with it. People are OCing their reference HD 6950s safe and sound without any issues.

I think i suggested the same thing in the above post in case you didn't notice.:wink:

But it shouldn't be kept at 80% or more fixed for all the time.:neutral:

I never said its unsafe to overclock a 6950 reference but not to push it too far. The reasons are same.

Piyush

Lanaya
hmmm....pretty long discussion on graphic card temps after OCing /Crossfiring/SLIing it
see...
Its not like that running a reference card at 80% or more speed(fan) will deteriorate its lifetime. There are many other factors that play a vital role, like:-

-->cable management
-->No. of fans
-->and more importantly types of fans (like Asingh said "having a high performance fan as exhaust helps ")

my cousin lately crossfired his 5850 (Both MSI) and he just installed 2 high performance Cooler Master fan as exhaust(top and rear)
and the temps were pretty cool
at load (crysis @ 1600*900 with 4xAA blahblahblah..) his temps were

gpu-->68
cpu-->52

Piyush

Lanaya
anyways... a very juicy article by Toms

Tom's Graphics Card Guide: 32 Mid-Range Cards Benchmarked : Picking The Right Graphics Card

hey guys RE5 benchmark...i am getting 93 fps ..is it good??..bcoz i just brought this card (560 ti hawk)and i want to know the card is performing well or not..!!

its not good
its awesome :wink:

Top Bottom