Graphics Cards related queries here.

divyam

PSN- GiGzMo
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

@ divyam - mention your total budget for the psu and gfx card. Then it will be easier to suggest the best combo for you :p

@ dissel - HD4850 is a very good card but as your needs are photo editing and video encoding you will benefit more by using nvidia cuda and the GTS250 ( power consumption is 10W more as compared to HD4850 ) is what I suggest you.

But as Sam.Shab has told see if you can get a new psu though I've seen people running a HD4890 using a CM Extreme 500W :p
Budget is upto 9K.. not more than that..!!

kevivvivek

Right off the assembly line

1. Which exact PSU you have.
2. Most cards today have GDDR3 or GDDR5. (This is graphics memory different to motherboard memory)
3. Not sure what you asking here.
4. No need. Stock GPU cooling is just fine.
5. Depends what GPU you go for. Answer above, then we can advice.

It is an nForce NVIDIA GeForce 8300 chipset board. It has 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 with the full link width. You should be able to use the HD5850 on it. Good board. Though which PSU you have..?

Thanks for the reply..!
I have an 800W True Power SMPS

arian29

In the zone

Zebronics 550W Pro @ 2.8k or Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W... i was not able to find them.. any suggestions as to where can i find them ?i tried in Nehru place in new delhi (covered a few shops)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Thanks for the reply..!
I have an 800W True Power SMPS

Not too sure about that PSU. Let others comment.

Zebronics 550W Pro @ 2.8k or Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W... i was not able to find them.. any suggestions as to where can i find them ?i tried in Nehru place in new delhi (covered a few shops)

Did you try SMC Internations. Meghdoot building

arian29

In the zone

does the mobo have any affect on the graphics card... mine is gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2, card gonna buy.. HD4850/70

also which is better.. if not best >> MSI, Powercolor, sapphire, palit.. or someone else.. does it actually make any difference

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
It has a 1 PCI Express x 16 slot which is fine. Which PSU you have. Get a good one.

Regarding GPU OEM. All our good. Get the one with good warranty, at best price.

ganeshravi

Broken In

my friend owns a 32" plasma screen and its full HD... he need a decent card which can render with minimal loss.... a card with HDMI input is preferred.... budget is within 10K and also suggest a PSU for the same...

Thanks...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ dissel - MSI GTS 250 is available around 7.6K ( 1 GB ) and 512MB one costs around 6.7-7K and palit GTS 250 512 is around 7.1K and as a CM500W extreme can handle a 4890 I think your PSU will be able to handle a GTS 250 since it consumes less power than a HD4890 but consumes 10W more as compared with HD4850.

HD4890 consumes around 20W more as compared to GTS 250.

BTW, see if you can manage to get MSI HD5750 which should be around 8.5K and has 1GB of GDDR5 mem with support for DX11 and the power consumption is much less around 60-65W and the performance is also less around 5-10% as compared to GTS 250 :p

@ divyam - as rajkumar_pb has said Gigabyte Superb 460W around 2.5K and HD4850 around 6.5K( 512MB palit, sapphire, powercolor or MSI ) will be the best combo for you :p

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@ dissel - MSI GTS 250 is available around 7.6K ( 1 GB ) and 512MB one costs around 6.7-7K and palit GTS 250 512 is around 7.1K and as a CM500W extreme can handle a 4890 I think your PSU will be able to handle a GTS 250 since it consumes less power than a HD4890 but consumes 10W more as compared with HD4850.

HD4890 consumes around 20W more as compared to GTS 250.

BTW, see if you can manage to get MSI HD5750 which should be around 8.5K and has 1GB of GDDR5 mem with support for DX11 and the power consumption is much less around 60-65W and the performance is also less around 5-10% as compared to GTS 250 :p

@ divyam - as rajkumar_pb has said Gigabyte Superb 460W around 2.5K and HD4850 around 6.5K( 512MB palit, sapphire, powercolor or MSI ) will be the best combo for you :p

i would say the PSU in the form of Xtreme Power should be kept as reserve option. if OP can't find a good PSU, he can get Xtreme Power which usually available almost everywhere. & about the 1 running HD4890 in Xtreme Power, i think it is PSU from some old batch when they used to be good. now most Xtreme Powers r time-bombs or crackers which don't need Diwali to go BOOM :grin::grin::grin:

dissel

Cyborg Agent

Thanks a lot @ topgear of ur suggestion,

after reading so much review me confused, and stuck again.

About Palit HD4850 512Mb --->Core Clock/Memory Clock -->625Mhz/933Mhz

Palit GTS 250 512Mb--->Core Clock/Memory Clock -->745Mhz/1100Mhz

Where, MSI GTS 250 512Mb-->Core Clock/Memory Clock-->760/2300Mhz

Please let me know which is the most important deciding factor from above ?

Palit GTS 250 512Mb got VGA+DVI+HDMI inbuilt + DVI-to-HDMI adopter(for connecting 2 HDMI source) in the package. there is SPDIF Cable in the box, what is that ?

Only MSI bundling composite video cable,but not sure in 512mb version though.

Though Palit HD4850 got the most feature rich bundle in the package. here *www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_hd4850/images/11.htm

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

Palit GTS 250 512Mb got VGA+DVI+HDMI inbuilt + DVI-to-HDMI adopter(for connecting 2 HDMI source) in the package. there is SPDIF Cable in the box, what is that ?

Core Clock --> Mem Clock ---> SHader Model etc:grin:

dissel

Cyborg Agent

Core Clock --> Mem Clock ---> SHader Model etc:grin:

^^^ Thank you....but which one I go for ?

Is higher freq is the field to look for ?

as I read some where in review Higher GPU memory is not always usable.Is it same as Mhz rating in GPU too ?

tkin

Back to school!!

^^^ Thank you....but which one I go for ?

Is higher freq is the field to look for ?

as I read some where in review Higher GPU memory is not always usable.Is it same as Mhz rating in GPU too ?
You have everything mixed up.
These are what you should look for in order of importance.

1. No. of shaders/cores/cuda cores, nVidia and ATI has different ways to measure them, although not very accurate but you can divide ATI shader no. by 5 and then compare with nVidia(again, its very inaccurate). Higher shaders=greater performance.

2. Core clock speed, higher is better.(nVidia and ATI is not comparable here, compare between nVidia or ATI gpus separately)

3. Shader clock, higher is better(only for nVidia, ATI has no separate shader and core clock).

3. Memory type, DDR5>DDR3>DDR2(avoid)

4. Memory speed, higher is better, usually lies above or around 2GHz(DDR3) and above 4GHz for DDR5, if it indicates a low value like 1100MHz then multiply it by 2 for DDR3 and by 4 for DDR5 and then compare. Avoid DDR2 memories.

5. Lastly compare memory amount.

Maximum priority is to be given to the no. of shaders, and finally try to look for reviews in google.

Yes, higher GPU memory is not always a indicative of higher performance, memory type and speed(also dependent on memory type) is the actual memory performance indicator.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ Yes correct. And again the user has to see, how will the GPU will gel with his own system. Stuff like, resolution, CPU, chipset, games he/she will play should also be accounted for. Also the basic GPU engine makes a big difference. How fast it can calculate and punch out the pixels.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thanks a lot @ topgear of ur suggestion,

after reading so much review me confused, and stuck again.

Only MSI bundling composite video cable,but not sure in 512mb version though.

Though Palit HD4850 got the most feature rich bundle in the package. here *www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_hd4850/images/11.htm

Get the MSI one as it has higher clock rate ( actually it's a factory OCed card ) and the real speed of the plait GTS would be 745 MHz core and 2200 MHz mem :p

@ tkin - thanks buddy for that explanation :p

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

my friend owns a 32" plasma screen and its full HD... he need a decent card which can render with minimal loss.... a card with HDMI input is preferred.... budget is within 10K and also suggest a PSU for the same...

Thanks...

Is this for gaming on LCD, or watching HD content. Sorry we missed this thread.

djaydave

Right off the assembly line

Thanks Dear Sam.Shab,I posted my query and reply on #10298 after you replied.plz revert....

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Thanks Dear Sam.Shab,I posted my query and reply on #10298 after you replied.plz revert....

woops. missed it. sorry:oops:. u can put in 2Gb DDR2 of 800Mhz & your board should downclock it to 533 or 677Mhz depending on the maximum speed it supports. as for mobo, if u change it u'll end up changing the processor as well as acquiring DDR3 ram sticks. & for PSU, its a must. else theres serious risk of ur PSU going boom & damaging your PC altogether.

Top Bottom