Graphics Cards related queries here.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

hi guys, I brought my new rig this week.
Now I bought a XFX 8600GT.

Tell me which is better, 256MB GDDR3 RAM or 512MB GDDR2 RAM? Mine is the latter one, had I made a mistake in sheer excitement of 512MB? Will it live as long as 256MB GDDR3. Any advantages of 512MB card?

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

i wud vote for 256mb gddr3 . .higher mems means more texture can be loaded to the g-mem . . this helps at high resolutions ( > 1024 x 768 ) but the 8600GT is quite incapable of running today's games at higher resoultions like 1600x1200 . so a faster 256mb will be better than a less used slower 512mb.

codeash

Broken In

Hey dudes can some one please answer to my question i asked...Its little urgent you guys know the answer pls help...

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!

guys thnks for all the replies..

i just BOUGHT "XFX 8600 GT 256 MB DDR3 for Rs 6800"

i also found cards from BIG 8600 512 ddr2 (i think) for Rs 6500

i also found 7600 GT 256 for 6100 Rs since because stock was not there and i was in a hurry i had buy this this one ..

how is 8600 GT 256 ??
please tell me its good .. JUST curiuos again ...

cynosure

UbuntuUser

sagargv said:
i wud vote for 256mb gddr3 . .higher mems means more texture can be loaded to the g-mem . . this helps at high resolutions ( > 1024 x 768 ) but the 8600GT is quite incapable of running today's games at higher resoultions like 1600x1200 . so a faster 256mb will be better than a less used slower 512mb.

Holy cow! Does it have a chance against UT3 and Crysis?
Can it pull thru mid 2008 with DX9.0 games? I will change my card at that time.

utsav

damn busy...

koi mujhe yeh to batao ki BIG 6800xt 128MB AGP online kaise kharidu.in their site www.big-tek.com when i click the tab order now my browser says page not found

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

cynosure said:
Holy cow! Does it have a chance against UT3 and Crysis?
Can it pull thru mid 2008 with DX9.0 games? I will change my card at that time.
8600GT should play crysis at 1024*786 resolution with medium\high details.Its a decent card and with the release of better drivers its performance will see boost.And besides crysis is ubder nvidia's 'the way its meant to be played' program so it will be playable with 8600gt.

Who

Guess Who's Back

it sucks, go with 8600 GT

ok guys here is a trick that will sure cost some image lost but long as the game is not a stealth based or a horror flick it won't really hurt the games image settings, with this settings you can surely play crysis on max settings...

1) this really simple Set AA to 2x(2x is a huge improvment over none) & Shadows to minimum or disable them & everything other max , as long as the game is not a hororr flick or stealth based game, you won't lose anything & if you are a reliasm freak just set the shadows to minimum. i am sure you can run many upcoming games on max settings, as many new games uses soft shadows, real times shadows etc., they are really the perfomance killers , turning them off doesn't hurt that much in most games.

2) overclock your 8600 Gt to

Core clock : - 702 mhz
Shader clock :- 1630 mhz
Memory clock: - 866 Mhz

this is one of the safest overclocking limits for 8600 GT. (688/1612/860 being the safest.)

sanjay_111

Broken In

Since some of the folks here helped me decide - I finally installed 8400 GS on my computer. Like I had mentioned, I reckoned it would suffice for my strat games and I am not much into action games.

Well, game speeds have increased a lot and they look much better.

There is a large number of options in nvidia control panel ! I am still learning which options will work best for me being a newbie to this. Trying different settings and checking in games I am currently playing - Civ IV and COH.

Any tips will be welcome.

utsav

damn busy...

how much should be paid for a second hand sapphire radeon 9550SE 128MB AGP.and how much is its performance.Can it run NFS-MW at 1024*768 at max detail.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!

guys really 8600 GT rocks and for me this is like some world as i am for the first time XP this kind of graphics...

awesome..
but the lost planet they gave along with it is not working in XP...
will it or not ..
and how safe can i overclock it .. ihave ntune
i dont get it ..
i had 6200 prev... when i installed the new card i forgot to unistall the prev card..

now when i run the dxdiag it shows the following without the system info`s which i was able to see.
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/1/2007, 11:06:26
Machine name: CARBON
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: n/a
System Model: n/a
BIOS: n/a
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Memory: 1534MB RAM
Page File: 364MB used, 3066MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

i even tried to uninstall and reinstakll the drivers ..
i even have the latest driver "163.71_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql"

please do help me

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@naveen_reloaded
get in safemode nd remove ny drivers. Then install the driver supplied with da card, then update it to 162.xxxx or 163.xxxxx. Also update the DX with Aug 07 Dx updates.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!

guys i got the CD of LOST PLANET along with the card ..XFX

more over its a dual layer DVD.. i wasnt able to play as i am having XP installed..

then regarding

System Manufacturer: n/a
System Model: n/a
BIOS: n/a

have anyboddy have any idea ??

please help.. i feel some lag in performance ..i think its due to this drvier problem..

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

i dont think it has much to do with lag in performance . best to do a clean install of xp if u're haing lag in performance . do me a favour and post ur 8600GT's temps and the psu u're using ( particularly interested in 12volt rating ) . coz i need to replace my psu and my 8600GT as its overheating . .cant catch that vendor .. . trying..,

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

naveen_reloaded said:
guys i got the CD of LOST PLANET along with the card ..XFX
ehh dude where did you purchase the game from.

Regarding your problem do a clean install of xp and see if it works out.And why don't you consider switching over to Vista to harness full power of 8600gt(as it is dx10 compatible).

regards.

Last edited:

p_d5010

Journeyman

even i got lost planet dl dvd with my card for free.....new 8600gt buyers r getting it free........gives me 29fps at full settings with motion blur,shadows,filter and fur quality to dx10.........however when i increase res. to 1280, i have to drop shadows to medium and i get 24fps avg............i have o/ced to 702/1620/864