Gaming PC or Console (and which one)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bippukt

In the zone
Hello everyone! I will be buying a new gaming hardware during the next week or so and I am really in a fix about what to buy. My options are:

1. Gaming PC with good graphics card etc with a budget of around 40k.
2. Buy an XBOX 360 core (15k) (Arcade not available?)
3. Buy an XBOX 360 pro (24k)
4. Buy a PS3 (25k)

I already have a working PC (minus the monitor) which can run games like Crysis at low settings. So I will have to buy a monitor whether or not I buy a new PC. I am planning to buy an LCD monitor of around 10k.

I would really appreciate the suggestions of other people on what do they think will be the best bet for me. I am a gamer who fits between the casual and the hardcore type. And I will be buying this stuff with my first hard-earned salary (welcome the new month :D), so I don't want to make any mistake. I especially want your ideas on the following points:

1. Graphics - I have a normal flat screen 21 inch TV (which will support component cable but definitely not HDMI). Will it be good enough to give me awesome (or something close to it) graphics?

2. Will I be able to connect the console to my 19" LCD monitor and play in case the TV does not measure up (or my roommate is watching TV!).

3. If console, which one? I know the answer will only confuse me but well...BTW, I can't wait for XBOX price drop...I just can't.

4. Game availability for XBOX and PS3 in India (and their prices).

5. Anything else you can think of!

All opinions are welcome, even from self-professed fanboys :)

PS2 - I am already done with the PS2...I want next gen games which I can't play on my current PC or the PS2. I have said goodbye to my faithful PS2 as it doesn't like me anymore (why else would it give me shocks when I try to insert a disk).

Last edited:

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
ur first sale eh.... NO CONSOLES ok....

just buy a good pc and buy a ps2...suffice..when u start u need more THEN buy the console....

1.spend 15k and buy atleast a 22" or buy 19" for 10k...
2.i suppose u talking abt connecting a console..well in 360 and ps3 u can....but ps2 its somewhat a around the neck procedure with a tv tyner ..external....
3 no...if u need one that bad buy a ps2..or a second hand 360..enough.....
4.orginal or pirated???ps3 not yet modded so a no no..and others 1.5k to 3k...buy second hand if u wish to...
5BUY A PC and a PS2..enough

its ur first sal..dont do anything stupid.. :D...

or if u really on to console buy the ps3 only as 360 have lots of hardware pblm..even if u mod it ...if lady luck not with you..u be in a pickle...though repairing is done now...which wil cost from 2k to 5k...buy a second hand 360 only....modded or unmodded...

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
How come so few replies? :(

Come on guys, I need to buy the machine this week itself!

Thanks to madjeri for his reply :)

EDIT - In case you didn't see my edited original post, I am already done with PS2 :smile:

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
then dont buy console now....

buy only ps3 if u need to..but only orginal games....if u really need to buy 360 buy one in november or so...hopefully u "may" find the new jasper..new lot..rumours are there could be..those are not with reduced price..the 60gb ones with blu-ray its said....

if u need to buy 360 now..buy a second hand only..buy one that is within 6 month or so...so u can expect a year of worry free gaming..that too if u not so heavy player...

toofan

Technomancer
Dont buy 360 or PS3 because they are quite expensive then they look.
1. The game titles are costly almost starting from 2000 Rs.
2. You need a big big screen to play with consoles and that to High Definition.
means an further investment of 35 to 50 thousands.
3. a pc around 40k would be enough for high end gaming if you spent wisely.
4. PC is a PC an all in one machine.
5. I love my PC. Upgrade it Upgrade it and keep upgrading it. only negetive point but plus also as you can't upgrade Consoles.
6. you have PS2 so why to buy another. Its enough at present time as most of games release for ps2 also.

Thats enough for this time and let us also know what you decided.

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
I have finally decided to get NONE of the above. At least not now. The biggest reasons are:

- Expected future cost reduction of XBOX 360...like the 15k pro consoles last year.
- Expected changes in PS3 configuration like 60 GB HDD and maybe some PS2 compatibility and maybe :)DROOL:) some price cut as well. My local planetM stocks PS3 games all of which invariable seem to cost Rs 2599!
- 40k is too much of an investment for a first salary. Besides, if the 360 core gets even cheaper to around 11k, I think it would become a very viable option :)
- As I mentioned earlier, high cost of games, especially PS3 games. PC games seem to be more reasonably priced at 999 or 1299.

BTW, toofan_nainital mentioned that I need a very good TV to get the best resolution from the consoles. Well, mine is a a flat 21". But can't I connect it to 19" LCD the monitor that I am going to buy? I know it is not the best, but I should get pretty high resolutions.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Get HD4870 for your PC and PSP. :)

for real fun gaming, get Nintendo Wii with Wii fit pack :)

shouldn't cost you more than 300$ in USA.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
and if you buy 10 games a year for PS3 8 years in a row.

year 1 : Rs.2.5k * 10 : Rs.25k
year 2 : Rs. 2.2k * 10 : Rs.22k
year 3 : rs.2k * 10 : Rs.20k

so on by end of 8 years, you will be spending

30k for console + 1.2L for games taking reducing price of games into account (if any).

And you have to upgrade a GPU for PC once every two years and each time you pay 12k-15k and for games you pay Rs.600 to Rs.1000 for the first year.

Which one do you think will be better???

PS: just my silly calculation

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Dont buy 360 or PS3 because they are quite expensive then they look.
1. The game titles are costly almost starting from 2000 Rs.
2. You need a big big screen to play with consoles and that to High Definition.
means an further investment of 35 to 50 thousands.
3. a pc around 40k would be enough for high end gaming if you spent wisely.
4. PC is a PC an all in one machine.
5. I love my PC. Upgrade it Upgrade it and keep upgrading it. only negetive point but plus also as you can't upgrade Consoles.
6. you have PS2 so why to buy another. Its enough at present time as most of games release for ps2 also.

Thats enough for this time and let us also know what you decided.

err......

1.lots of 360 games are for 1000....ps3 also started their alltime hits into 1200 range...
2.A big screen is NEVER a need...unless u want to
3.High end gaming with 40k budget??lets take min the card be 4870 which is 18k+..u expect to buy the rest the low end????
4 Yeas...but in ps3 u can load linux and use it as a PC...just like homebrew..
5 true that...no need of upgrading a console though.excpet accesories..thats the point...:D
6 its enough..but its EOL....and not MOST games are not launched to it...its slowing down...

Get HD4870 for your PC and PSP. :)

for real fun gaming, get Nintendo Wii with Wii fit pack :)

shouldn't cost you more than 300$ in USA.

+1... a very wise decision....

and if you buy 10 games a year for PS3 8 years in a row.

year 1 : Rs.2.5k * 10 : Rs.25k
year 2 : Rs. 2.2k * 10 : Rs.22k
year 3 : rs.2k * 10 : Rs.20k

so on by end of 8 years, you will be spending

30k for console + 1.2L for games taking reducing price of games into account (if any).

And you have to upgrade a GPU for PC once every two years and each time you pay 12k-15k and for games you pay Rs.600 to Rs.1000 for the first year.

Which one do you think will be better???

PS: just my silly calculation

your point???...sorry u lost me there..... ;)

I have finally decided to get NONE of the above. At least not now. The biggest reasons are:

- Expected future cost reduction of XBOX 360...like the 15k pro consoles last year.
- Expected changes in PS3 configuration like 60 GB HDD and maybe some PS2 compatibility and maybe :)DROOL:) some price cut as well. My local planetM stocks PS3 games all of which invariable seem to cost Rs 2599!
- 40k is too much of an investment for a first salary. Besides, if the 360 core gets even cheaper to around 11k, I think it would become a very viable option :)
- As I mentioned earlier, high cost of games, especially PS3 games. PC games seem to be more reasonably priced at 999 or 1299.

BTW, toofan_nainital mentioned that I need a very good TV to get the best resolution from the consoles. Well, mine is a a flat 21". But can't I connect it to 19" LCD the monitor that I am going to buy? I know it is not the best, but I should get pretty high resolutions.

1. Future cost reduction..my foot....dont buy it....its just MS trying to make indians buy their old SKU's again...buy the new ones only the 60 GB versions...IF its launched...
2 a.There will be no changes in PS3 architecture..though a slim design is in the sltes..but not declared ...
b.Price cut...NEVER for a year min..unless something desperate happens....soon most ps3 will be having ps3 compatibility....one of their future dashboard update is said to include software compatibility...making about 90% games playable..only orginals...
3. keep away from core...360 devolpers are whining abt making the hdd compulsory..soon the dev WILL make it happen..so when that comes u will buy the HDD..or if u plan to use live..u will anyway....so why bother buy core...dont..as i said early..pro seconds for abt 15k....easy..with warranty..:D
4. True

Yeas u can get more higher resolutions....using ur 19" LCD....:)

Last edited:

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
oooh that...

lets make it..

PC gaming is excellent coz its versatile....

console gaming rocks coz it does what it suppose to do to the max.

At the end of the day "jack of all trades" cannot beat a "Master of the trade"...in that trade...its just one of lifes way... :)

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
...soon most ps3 will be having ps3 compatibility....one of their future dashboard update is said to include software compatibility...making about 90% games playable..only orginals...

Really? That would greatly boost the PS3's desirability to me :)

3. keep away from core...360 devolpers are whining abt making the hdd compulsory..soon the dev WILL make it happen..so when that comes u will buy the HDD..or if u plan to use live..u will anyway....so why bother buy core...dont..as i said early..pro seconds for abt 15k....easy..with warranty..:D

I am sorry I did not get your point about pro at 15k...I think they are priced at 23990.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I especially want your ideas on the following points:

1. Graphics - I have a normal flat screen 21 inch TV (which will support component cable but definitely not HDMI). Will it be good enough to give me awesome (or something close to it) graphics?

It depends on the architecture of the board u r using....if its a high-end GCard...no
PS3/360 Graphics can beat it...although PS3 Graphics is also excellent but not when
comparedwith a PC Graphics...with High-End Card...:D
For High Resolution Gaming u need a BIG Screen..such as LCD or Plasma
moreover i haven't seen any console game utilizing 1080p
checkoutCrysis Graphics on Plasma or LCD :cool:

2. Will I be able to connect the console to my 19" LCD monitor and play in case the TV does not measure up (or my roommate is watching TV!).
yup..u can...& with much bigger screen i m sure u wont keep the controller idle...:rolleyes:

3. If console, which one? I know the answer will only confuse me but well...BTW, I can't wait for XBOX price drop...I just can't.
PS3 is the best bet...:D this gadget world is itself confusing....
u will have 2 wait if u want 2 save some bucks...:cool:

4. Game availability for XBOX and PS3 in India (and their prices).
quite good...almost all r available but titles r more for the former...neway dats not an issue...

5. Anything else you can think of!
One point 2 keep in mind....
if u play arcade or sports games most...then a console is ur partner..:D
if u play FPS games more then nothing is better than a PC

choice is urs if u select a console....then u will open ur pocket for more gaming in this..coz they r xtremely costly as compared 2 PC games..

But one +point..no paining upgrades...no high-settings....full speed game play:D

& Moreover most companies follow Console gaming such sony,capcom etc...bcoz they
believe dat piracy is not there in these consoles...:smile:

there r some amazing titles which PC lacks...
such as Ninja Gaiden & GOW series..etc

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
I am sorry I did not get your point about pro at 15k...I think they are priced at 23990.

I said if u gonna buy the 360 now..just buy a used one or second hand or seconds...will only cost 15k for a pro kit...just stick around u will find one .....

there r some amazing titles which PC lacks...
such as Ninja Gaiden & GOW series..etc

er....

u seem to forgot.... MGS4...though a stealth one .....some hate this genre... :(

Last edited:
OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
I said if u gonna buy the 360 now..just buy a used one or second hand or seconds...will only cost 15k for a pro kit...just stick around u will find one .....

Hmm...but the warranty might be a problem...i will have to see...

er....

u seem to forgot.... MGS4...though a stealth one .....some hate this genre... :(

I loved the only MGS I ever played on PS2 :)

EDIT - I am getting 4 games for free games with 360 pro and two of them seem reasonable. The problem with core is that I will have to buy a hard disk separately and that will cost me 4-5k. Plus, I don't get component cable and I also don't think that I will be able to connect it to my monitor. But if I am to spend 24k on the 360 pro, why not spend 25k and buy a PS3! Hmm...my head is going to EXPLODE!!! Why don't I go and rob somebody and buy a PC and be done with it ;)

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Hmm...but the warranty might be a problem...i will have to see...

I loved the only MGS I ever played on PS2 :)

EDIT - I am getting 4 games for free games with 360 pro and two of them seem reasonable. The problem with core is that I will have to buy a hard disk separately and that will cost me 4-5k. Plus, I don't get component cable and I also don't think that I will be able to connect it to my monitor. But if I am to spend 24k on the 360 pro, why not spend 25k and buy a PS3! Hmm...my head is going to EXPLODE!!! Why don't I go and rob somebody and buy a PC and be done with it ;)

u get a 6 month old one for 15k...god read my previous posts please....

dont got for 360..unless u gonna mod it..coz a 360 aint worth our money...go for ps3...

but for u a pc is enough...

PS3 forever no one can match it

fanboy alert......its great...but 360 also good in some levels....if it werent for the RROD...

Last edited:

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
fanboy alert......its great...but 360 also good in some levels....if it werent for the RROD...

I'm no fanboy of PS3 or Xbox as i own none of them however its the truth that PS3 is better..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom