Flipkart,Myntra Plans Shutting Down Website & Migrate to App: Foolishness or Parsimonious?

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
In India most people still use non smartphones for Internet access which do have app support nor are they able to handle desktop version. In that case mobile site is the preferred method. So closing mobile site is not a good idea. I mean the more the choice a customer has the better right?

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
My Average purchases are maximum on Amazon given their better pricing. Say last year, 24 orders were from Amazon, 9 From Snapdeal, 4 from Flipkart.

Their App pricing isn't any better than Desktop sites of Amazon or Snapdeal. They will realise that soon, Its a blunder.

kartikoli

Busy!!
Amazon is crap as they dont ship anything above 6k to U.P., I couldn't purchase yureka where as I was paying upfront (prepaid) also I wanted to buy a laptop ~50k which I will have to purchase from other sites :(

They make exclusive contracts with companies and then dont ship to major part of the country. I live in heart of the city (Lucknow) and every one ships to my pincode. (Please check if you anyone can buy to these pin codes 226001, 226003, 226004)

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
I can understand your pain and the logicless policy not to ship products >6K to Lucknow.
But people from rest of UP have taken these ECommerce Companies for a ride.
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/t...-above-Rs-5000-in-UP/articleshow/43269889.cms

and also these Terrible Tax rules:
UP has atrocious sales tax regulation. Each of the goods for sale to UP has to have a Form -38 issued for it by a very corrupt sales department. Each Form – 38 costs money. I guess the physical sellers just bear this cost but to an e-commerce company the margins get hit drastically on each shipment and even more when the goods can’t be delivered.

Capital Mind ? Flipkart Won?t Deliver Orders More than 10K to Uttar Pradesh

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
But there is thing called customer rating. If a person is constantly buying from a seller the seller can make a difference. But they neglecting UP is bad decision.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The in the face ad from Flipkart "Sorry, We have shut down... just kidding".. is plain stupid.

No owner of any shop in the right mind says that, even when its time to actually close the shop in night. They say, "badhana", which means "to Grow". So, "Shop badha diya" means "growing the shop" which actual means "closing the shop for today". But no one says that. -_-

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The idea for app only way might have come from some brilliant thinker/management guru hired with all the billions raised. Money probably is making them forget what made them the success they are - customer service and price. I will not install a mobile app just to buy something hence will leave Flipkart / Myntra for good if they force it.

kartikoli

Busy!!
I can understand high taxes but same is the case with other other companies as well. I am against the fact that these companies make exclusive deals and then we can't buy those, I see lot of adds for yureka phones selling at 2~3k more on olx.
If people's are taking them for a ride then restrict to prepaid orders only but stopping all deliveries is not justified in any way.

I think they should simply stop all deliveries to UP. Amazon dont exist for us

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Amazon time!! I hate using apps to browse stuff like this
a website is always the first preference for everyone

what if someone doesnt have a smartphone(lost,broken or simply living under a rock)
very poor marketing strategy
expected better stuff

+1 i don't have one. will get one soon though but am still comfortable on a desktop system

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It's not about being comfortable. It's about.. Choice.

I can't quickly middle click and open the products in different tabs and then compare the products side by side, add the first product in wishlist and buy the other product, while also reading reviews of another product opened in another tab, and deciding if its worth buying since the price seems to be comparatively more than other shopping site.

Having said that, I think FK is trolling big time, in preparation for the April fool.

cbs_infosys

New to this forum
Website Vs Mobile App

• No of Mobiles Phones are higher than PCs
  • 64% of Internet Traffic is now done using a mobile
  • People use a Mobile App 6 times more than a Website
  • 79% Smartphone users use Mobile Phones for purchasing decisions
  • 50% of users make purchase on mobile within 1 hour
  • 73% of Business Owners use Mobile Apps daily

Flash

Lost in speed
Re: Website Vs Mobile App

• No of Mobiles Phones are higher than PCs
  • 64% of Internet Traffic is now done using a mobile
  • People use a Mobile App 6 times more than a Website
  • 79% Smartphone users use Mobile Phones for purchasing decisions
  • 50% of users make purchase on mobile within 1 hour
  • 73% of Business Owners use Mobile Apps daily
  • Majority of the people who are using mobiles are not using internet, and limit their mobile use to watching videos/hearing music/SMS.
  • Not all the people use 3G in India to aid the worry-free money transaction in mobiles.
  • Shopping via PC > Shopping via mobile.

$hadow

Geek in making
We are still using 2g and 3g is still a dream for majority. And shopping via mobile is still something not everyone is comfortable with.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
This shutting down of website idea is as I see it is sheer incompetence/laziness . They are like a billion $ company and they can't manage to run a website ? wtf !