Flipkart,Myntra Plans Shutting Down Website & Migrate to App: Foolishness or Parsimonious?

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Flipkart was considering shutting its mobile site as well as its desktop-based website to move sales entirely to the mobile app. Spokespersons for Flipkart and Myntra confirmed that the companies had shut their mobile websites. The desktop-based sites are still functional though both companies are considering shutting them over time, two people familiar with the matter said.

“Over the past year we have come to believe that we can serve our users much better through our apps simply due to the flexibility it offers. With the app, customers can stay logged in to Flipkart at all times. This helps them save time and get smoother and faster checkouts. Our app is designed to work relatively well even in low bandwidth conditions compared to the m-site,” the Flipkart spokesperson said by email.

Source: Flipkart moves towards becoming app-only platform - Livemint

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I get the point for shutting down the mobile site, but why are they shutting down the normal site? :confused:
As for remaining logged in, I can leave one blank tab open after closing all others and I'll still be logged in. It all depends on cookies. I can do this with the mobile site too.

Last edited:
OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Here's the thing:
*articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/images/pixel.gif
Accepting that desktops weren't giving the same returns on investments anymore compared to a few years ago, Bansal said Flipkart will keep an eye out for more acquisitions in the mobile space and look to fill the gaps on tech and talent front.

"I believe it (mobile advertising) can be a big business for us," said Bansal, who is spearheading the ad business for Flipkart post a reorganization at the seven-year-old company which started off as an online bookstore.

Search giant Google and social networking site Facebook dominate the online and mobile advertising space, globally and in India, but e-commerce majors who boast of large consumer traffic and data are now looking to target shoppers on their platforms, prompted by their growing seller base and high adoption of smartphones.

Flipkart eyes more buys to boost mobile advertising business - timesofindia-economictimes

A

amit.tiger12

So most people will install this app like facebook...
People need to go by their own convenient way not the way company wants us to follow them... they need to follow us...
like "consumer centric"...

maheshn

Journeyman
Monopolistic attitude! Forcing people to install their app like Facebook did

Hmmm... most of the time I browse or buy from PC only as the mobile internet speed even at so-called '3G' speeds is abysmal. Half the time their app fails to load. If they want to go mobile only they better fine tune their app's performance first or risk losing customers to other shopping sites.

:) Who got the harebrained idea that Indians prefer browsing on the mobile rather than the PC?

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
so this was the reason why I was being redirected to the app download page from Opea Mini :|

If they remove the normal site, they lose me as a customer atleast.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Myntra was saying it gets 85% of sales form mobile only.
Can't really tell how this move will affect them. They have to shutdown the website for 3 months and test out.

Its a good thing, new start ups can replace the websites.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Amazon time!! I hate using apps to browse stuff like this
a website is always the first preference for everyone

what if someone doesnt have a smartphone(lost,broken or simply living under a rock)
very poor marketing strategy
expected better stuff

$hadow

Geek in making
Their loss. Amazon has the app for the longest of time but never thought of killing the web version.

beingGamer

In the zone
Hmmm... most of the time I browse or buy from PC only as the mobile internet speed even at so-called '3G' speeds is abysmal. Half the time their app fails to load. If they want to go mobile only they better fine tune their app's performance first or risk losing customers to other shopping sites.

:) Who got the harebrained idea that Indians prefer browsing on the mobile rather than the PC?

The recent discount offerings on placing order via their app is the way they are doing this probably. Using customers as testers.

Top Bottom