FEDORA 4 + I NEED HELP!!! (same probs as SUSE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
hmmm. **looks tried and frustrated**.
@tech_your_future: I tried editing my xorg.conf and replacing it with wat you gave, but still no luck

@desertwind: theres really no easy way i can post the output of those as i would have to take a pen and paper and write down everything. the thing is i cannot copy the text in a file and post it, cuz i can only post it from windows, where my network connection is working. i cannot copy the text file into the windows drives, cuz i cannot write on ntfs systems using suse. neither can i copy it to a usb flash disk, cuz that too does not work in linux. **sigh**

@prakash kerala: same goes as to what i said to desertwind

I give up on linux. I dunno how some of you managed 8 years with it. Hats off to you. My college computers are all on linux, and everything i'm taught is linux based, but I dont think I can manage it on my computer. Someone from my dept told me to switch to fedora core 4, cuz thats wat they use. I wonder if its really worth the trouble.

Thanks anyway guys...
Peace...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Linux is sure worth all your efforts. Have you tried Ubuntu linux? I feel that it has one of the best hardware detection rates. Try out Ubuntu live cd and if all goes well you can install it.
Sometimes some hardware becomes troublesome to install but a few trial and error hits and a bit of frustration really pays off in the end. I know how it feels cos I too had the same problem a few months ago.

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
hmmm. here i really cant get hold of ubuntu or any other distro for that instance cuz my college ban's me from downloading linux distros, as it takes up too much bandwith (i live on campus). neither can i get hold of any cd's as this place is damn expensive. the only distro's i can get are suse 10 and fedora core 4, cuz they are hosted on my college ftp server and i can download them. so should i give a try with fedora?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
In my personal opinion FC4 is far better than SuSE, though many wont agree with me. Anyways give it a try

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
adit_sen said:
I dunno how some of you managed 8 years with it.

You'll even get wondered knowing the fact that RMS is using his gnu/hurd OS, fors last 20 years, that too without any GUI.

He browse internet, reply emails, type documents, all in shell using a very powerful software, GNU emacs.

Satissh S

Youngling
it's interesting how people feel afraid of linux, when something is just not working for them. Patience is a virtue and is so important when learning new things.
I always felt a bit frustrated and broken when it didn't work for me first up, but you have to try again and again to get thinks workin' as you learn a lot from the experience.

@aditsen:
You are leaving linux, just because you can't get audio and ethernet workin'. When i used Asrock AGI p4i65 mobo, it used a patented technology called AGI which allows you to plug both a AGP Graphics card and a PCI card in the same slot.
Of-course they didn't release their design specs to the kernel developers and a AGP card plugged in always caused a panic when booting with a 2.6 kernel.
I remember weeping bitterly over nights just b'coz i couldn't install FC4 and most of them in this forum thought that i was having problem installing my graphics drivers. See kernel BUG#5807.
Everytime i tried to install FC4 in it it will hang while loading anaconda with some bug call traces, while i tried my hand with a 2.4 series kernel and everything worked fine. The problem was with hotplug. Then i got another mobo (Asus) and i'm running GNU\linux without any trouble and i'm experiencing freedom. Iam learning driver programming to learn and make drivers for my old Mobo so that people with the same don't suffer. Thats the way you have to be, you shud never give up. I'd REALLY suggest not to give up linux b'coz you have the support of your teaching staff and you can handle and come out of problems much easily than any of us here.
For You Information:
If working on root terminal, you need to have gpm enabled to select stuff with the mouse and use the middle mouse button to paste them. If workin on a terminal emulator,
Select text with mouse and then,
[shift] + [delete] ==> copies stuff
[shift] + [insert] ==> paste stuff

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
thanks for the pep talk. i know how to copy and paste stuff...but like i mentioned, i cannot post it online, cuz i can connect only from windows. now the text which i have copied and put in a txt file, i cannot access from windows cuz i cant access the linux partition from windows (i've tried ex2fs, and similar programs, but they cannot access the suse filesystem). so im stuck there too. anyhow, i'll be busy with classes for the rest of the wk, will install fc4 during the weekend. (actually suse is now not booting up at all....i get all sorts of errors...kernel panic...unable to find bla bla....)
thankx anyway..
peace

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
You've got support from your teaching staff, you've worked gnu/linux on lab, you've excellent communities over, a lot of forums (including this one), and a buch of ppl ready to help.

When I started using it, I only have a book in hand. Red Hat Linux bible. And internet. There has been a single day in my life which hasn't any problems at all. I'll just explain one such incident.

I was trying to compile audioscrobbler plugin for rhythmbox in my FC4 box. Inspite of hard tries for over a month, it just refuses to compile. It has given me errors and errors. I searched all over net, posted my problems on various forums, including thinkdigit, contacted audioscrobbler support, but in vain.

Atlast i found that the code was written for python 2.4, and i have python 2.6. So i tried uninstallin python 2.6 which give me a hell of dependancy problems. I forced it, installed python 2.4 and compiled the code. Still it got errors. I found out that there is some missing headers, so i manually copied all that files into the specified directory. compiled again. It worked. so i upgraded to 2.6 again. after a reboot it give ne a hell of problems, a lot of panel applets and other application were crashed. so i killed X boot into runlevel 3, removed python 2.6 and installed again. Still the same problem. After 3 hours of continous work, i managed to get back my system worked. I uninstalled 2.6, installed 2.4, then removed 2.4 and then installed 2.6 afresh. It was really one of my worst experience, which i got any help from others. After that i gzipped that compiled audioscrobbler plugin, and used it after my further formats. I never compiled that piece of code again.

So my advice is keep trying, there will be one day, all your problems will be solved. From that day onwards you'll wait for problems. As I do now.

@Satissh: His problem is not about copying stuff from terminal, but porting the copied stuff from linux to windows. He has only net access on windows, usb disk is not working, and he's got ntfs partitions. Suggest a solution for that.

@adit: Download the following file, using which can browse your linux partitions from windows. copy all the outputs to a text file, copy this file from windows using the software and post it here.
*www.freewebtown.com/desertwind/progs/explore2fs-1.00pre6.zip

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
i must say i'm overwhelmed by the support. thankx guys. i will have another go at linux, and get right down to the very bottom of it. lol.

@desertwind: like i mentioned b4, i've already tried explore2fs. it said it could not read the linux partitions cuz it did not find any linux partitions on my hdd. funny. and anyhow, my suse is not booting up at all. so i'll wait till friday, when i get fc4, and have a go with that

thanx.

Satissh S

Youngling
Oh sorry! I thought, he was having probs with copying text over terminal. As riyaz suggested, Explore2Fs is your best bet.
Try hard to get your ethernet working, and half of ur probs will be solved.

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
i'm gonna install fedora this wkend...now durin the installation, my ethernet is detceted, but it fails to configue (i chose auto configure with dhcp). is there any tweaks thr which could help me? suse linux was no help.

peace..
aditya

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
How do you connect to internet on windows? If you have static IP you can check it from windows and write down your IP address, DNS, Gateway and Netmask. Now try configuring ethernet again and instead of DHCP choose static and insert those values and see what happens.

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
fedora 4 is finally installed, but im still stuck with the same three problems that i had with suse.
1. no network access
2. no usb devices functioning
3. no sound

so i need help all over again.

@tech_your_future - i connect to a proxy server via lan, which requires authentication. i dont have a static ip address, but a dynamic ip address which is autoconfigured by dhcp in windows, but does not seem to work in linux.
i've already once tried putting a static ip address, but with no effect...

Satissh S

Youngling
1. About your network. Do you have any dns addresses? add them to /etc/resolv.conf .
run system-config-network and try to configure your network with dhcp.

2. Your usbdisk should be of win filesystems fat or msdos or any lin fs's . No Ntfs support default in fc4.
try,
Code:
# su
<password>
# mkdir /mnt/flash
# mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/flash

3. Sound seems to be u'r problem, is it? may be lack of drivers? or sumthing else?
See if you get chorus sound with this command
Code:
cat /dev/urandom >> /dev/dsp

praka123

left this forum longback
I dont use FC4 uses rhel4,u can select network as configured by dhcp using system-config-network or "netconfig".if not,i fear ur ethernet card isn't detected in Linux.U can atleast get us what card make it is by referring lappy manual or if u got M$ XP u can get infi from start menu:>accessories>system tools>system information.4 audio,get FC4 latest alsa-driver,libasound,alsa-libs and alsa-utils rpms and install from
*www.atrpms.net
try alsaconf,will configure sound 4 U.make sure u unmute volume control using "gnome-volume-control" or any other.
usb mouse..FC4's got GUI tool to configure mouse..?
another tip will say is to get latest bash-completion rpm and install it.now double click TAB will show all,now
Code:
sarge:~# modprobe
research for the module mostly matches ur ethernet card model and modprobe it.for info about a module,try "modinfo xxx"

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
ok. i tried configuring the network using system-config-network. I have a primary and tertiary dns address given to me, and i have set those values. But once i go to activate the device, i get 'Determining IP address for eth0: failed'. Also, at bootup i get the following msg when its trying to activate the network device
'SIOCSIFFLAG5 Invalid Argument'

my usb disk does have a fat filesystem. @satish: i tried mounting as you said, but I got the following error
'special device /dev/sda does not exist'.
its not just the usb flash drive, even like i said before, my usb mouse also does not work.

as for the sound, my sound card is properly detcted, but i get on boot the msg 'No volume control elements/device found'.

basically if i could get my network up and running, that would solve 80% of my problems. i cannot even access the ntfs filesystem of windows thru fedora, so i cannot download and install any rpm's for sound.

and suggestions?

Satissh S

Youngling
abt the flash drive, sorry.. thats /dev/sda1 try with it!! Since linux can write on fat partitions, copy the logs to the flash disk and post here. Good luck.

abt sound.. umm.. wat cud be the problem?? besides.. do you hear static when u execute the other command.
ie
Code:
cat /dev/urandom >> /dev/dsp

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
its been over two weeks and i'm still stuck where i started with linux.... :(
@satish...even for /dev/sda1, i get the same error 'special device /dev/sda1 does not exist'
and for the sound, for the cat /dev/urandom >> /dev/dsp command, i dont get any output. just nothing happens!!
so HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom