FBI charges Megaupload operators with piracy crimes

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
How Anonymous took down the DoJ, RIAA, MPAA and Universal Music Websites | ZDNet

Sums up the dangers of fiddling with DNS. I mean imagine users losing their passwords in similar targeted phishing?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
*i.minus.com/jbdrUj8AxVwW9Y.jpg
power to the ppl! its not much 5-6 people r enough to start a raid, even if 50-60 join in the first few hours and 100-500 over the next 2-3 its enough to take anything down all the sites were managed in under 5000 people max

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if you're in another country, you had better make sure you're not violating U.S. law.
just to clear this where many are believing US has wrongfully detained persons in other countries.USA has every right to go after people who committed crime in USA just like any other country even if they are not present in that country.in megaupload's case they have servers in virginia,usa which hosted pirated material & that's why USA got the right to go after these people.if the servers in question were located outside of USA then the best US govt could do was block the site in USA only.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Atleast its not hypocritic crap like ^.
Hypocritic what? What you posted clearly violated the forum rules and off-topic to this thread. Read the rules and FAQ.

NOTICE
Megaupload is NOT back up. The 109.x.x.x IP is being used to DDoS attack on the major US government sites. Do NOT post that IP. Anyone posting that IP again = Instaban.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Oh, the link I posted was fake. :-(
R.I.P. megaupload.

Megaupload is NOT back up. The 109.x.x.x IP is being used to DDoS attack on the major US government sites. Do NOT post that IP. Anyone one posting that IP again = Instaban.

No, that IP is a residential IP from Netherlands, by which I understood that's fake. :evil:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
No, that IP is a residential IP from Netherlands, by which I understood that's fake. :evil:

That IP has been posted in the Anonymous twitter account.

Read this as well if you've missed.
How Anonymous took down the DoJ, RIAA, MPAA and Universal Music Websites | ZDNet

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
getting crazy, thing seems to have caught steam over the past couple of days, ppl are knocking anything and everything down, going after individual artist pages atm... and splinter factions are claiming responsibility for individual attacks so now LOIC is firing round the clock

sygeek

Technomancer
Why megaupload was actually shutdown [*plus.google.com/u/0/111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq#111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq]

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
please people no more conspiracy theories.it is my favorite past time to read comments regarding such conspiracy theories & laugh at comments especially by US citizens(remind me of stereotypical dumb guy in hollywood movies).megaupload founder is a known offender convicted & accused of many crimes including financial in nature in germany(most probably why FBI included money laundering in its charges)& it just defies common sense to even suggest that megabox was such a revolutionary innovative concept that it shook the foundations of music industry in USA.there are many websites offering similar services like megabox for a long time now.

sygeek

Technomancer
please people no more conspiracy theories.it is my favorite past time to read comments regarding such conspiracy theories & laugh at comments especially by US citizens(remind me of stereotypical dumb guy in hollywood movies).megaupload founder is a known offender convicted & accused of many crimes including financial in nature in germany(most probably why FBI included money laundering in its charges)& it just defies common sense to even suggest that megabox was such a revolutionary innovative concept that it shook the foundations of music industry in USA.there are many websites offering similar services like megabox for a long time now.
UMG blocked megaupload's video on the ground of copyright infringement when there was absolutely none. Turns out, they were abusing their power. So yeah, they probably don't have good relationships with this company to appreciate such a product. Neither do I think they want any kind of competetion that'll effect their income.

The hollywood and music industry of the US is widely known for their extreme asshattery. So yeah, they can do this for the sake of it. Your stereotypical dumb guys are these industries (please remove this reference though, sounds racist).

Also, someone should compare Kim dotcom's wiki page with Hitler's. Kim's is worse.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^lol, yeah not the only ones NDTV was reporting the privacy story but totally covered it with the piracy angle

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i totally support the shutdown of megaupload even if i find the procedure followed a little disturbing.back in 2006 when most people use 128/256kbps connections one of my cousin who had access to a 10mbps corporate connection used to download from rapidshare & MU.he told me that initially when RS was the king MU started this lucrative payout program for the no. of times someone's uploaded files are downloaded.he started seeing more & more of MU links & also read about people actually receiving enough money to buy $500 computers(no joke!).you can imagine how much the owners were earning when the middleman was getting this much.MU is the one which started this trend of so called"professional uploaders"who upload only for money.obviously it does not take a genius to figure out that these professional uploaders mostly uploaded files which were most in demand or in other words pirated material.in later years many other filehosters came up with even better payouts & affiliation programs which were nothing but making money out off pirated material.i do not support RIAA/MPAA but i also do not support making money out of piracy.both are wrong & just because 1st is wrong does not make the 2nd right.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, this isn't related to Piracy etcetera, but nevertheless....

Grooveshark Shuts Down In Germany – Could See Similar Fate In Other Regions

Grooveshark, who recently launched a beautiful new web app for their service, has been shut down in Germany. It’s a sad day for German music lovers, because in Germany there are not many other options for listening to music. Spotify is not available and neither is Rhapsody. Even Google Music, which only uses the music you already have, is not available.

One option that is available is Simfy. Simfy offers subscription models like Spotify, where you can get access to music for free, with ads, or pay a monthly fee for a premium service. Grooveshark also offers a method for German users to export their playlists to text files.

The difference between Simfy and Grooveshark is that Simfy was able to work with GEMA, the body that controls most music licensing in Germany. Grooveshark was unwilling to pay their “unreasonably high” licensing costs and has decided to pull out of the country. A Grooveshark representive said they offered GEMA “€150,000 to officially enter the country and a sustainable rate moving forward.”

Be wary, because Grooveshark is facing lawsuits in regions all over the world, and your country could be next. I recommend looking at SciLor’s Grooveshark Downloader or Groovedown to download your playlists, for when they shut down in your country as well. Once they are gone, users can look at Spotify, Rhapsody, Google Music, iTunes Match, the aforementioned Simfy or one of the many other legal music distribution platforms on the web. Or maybe you could recommend another?

Top Bottom