Exclusive: XFX HD4770 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
XFX one looks cool, but they are always pricing ATI cards like dumb morons. At 8k who wud buy that card, when 4850 is available for same or lower price? 4850 too can be oced to get better performance.

and 4770above 8.5k is no way vfm, as for 10.3k GTX 260 is there.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I seriously think this will be a really really wrong time to buy HD4770. it's overpriced and except XFX all are based on reference design. Am going to wait till end of this month.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
always waiting for some time to drop in prices after the release of a new card is a wise thing to do. btw reviews says an overclocked HD4770 can beat a HD4850, so dat XFX premium model with a better cooler is not a bad option for overclockers.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I think by then there will be more non-reference models by other partners, which mite be better than AMD's premium cooler.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
even if XFX dual slot non reference cooler cud do gud oc to beat 4850, even a reference 4850 can oc yielding better results... and both roughly hare at same price.

palit>>>>do some miracle.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Yeah, a Palit HD4770 "SONIC" is very welcome now.

BTW, here's the REVIEW of an OCed HD4770, with clock speeds which I think partners might make default for their cards.

*www.expreview.com/img/review/HD4770OC/GPU-z.png

Core - 850MHz(piece of cake!!)
Memory - 1000MHz(it's rated to run at that speed!!)

Settings MAX - Res. 1920x1200
*www.expreview.com/img/review/HD4770OC/cry.png

*www.expreview.com/img/review/HD4770OC/l4d01.png

*www.expreview.com/img/review/HD4770OC/cod.png

*www.expreview.com/img/review/HD4770OC/wic.png

*www.expreview.com/img/review/HD4770OC/gta.png

RESULT
The HD4770 beats the HD4850 hands down with this new speed of it's, even while not consuming as much power as that of an HD4830(after OC too).

The card beats the GTS 250 in majority of the games, and in 3D Mark, the card's a total WINNER.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Today, I went to SP Road and saw the Sapphire version of the card.

Got tempted, bought it for 7.2k

The cooler is superb and is entirely made of copper.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
But fcuk AMD, the drivers are not latest and after reasses of Windows 7 rating, the rating for Graphics dropped from 5.9 to 2.0

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Today, I went to SP Road and saw the Sapphire version of the card.

Got tempted, bought it for 7.2k

The cooler is superb and is entirely made of copper.

Congrats! However I still feel that you will be hitting a limit because of your other components.
-----

Its awesome! OC gives astonshingly better results than the default, which is not seen in every case. What's the secret?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
secret is 40nm :)

yes. I will be changing proc+mobo in two weeks time and then I will go full throttle. Am able to play games at high settings on 1440x900 already. a processor upgrade should give additional 10-20fps.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I've upgraded my machine a week ago. I've not purchased the Graphics Card. I wanna buy one. I've 8.5k of budget. And i'm thinking of ATI Readon HD 4870 or Geforce 9800GTX.

But the discussion is tempting me to buy HD 4770. But my room is not properly ventilated and i can't afford for a thrid party coller. Does overclocking the HD4770 at stock coller Fries the card ?.... after continuos use say 4-5 hours? Help me.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
HD4770 is lot lot cooler when compared to HD4870 or 9800GTX but it is much slower than HD4870. If you have FullHD display, better get GTX260 SP216 for 11k

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
btw @vamsikrishna919
4870 is a 11k+ card and 4770 is a 7k worth card.
get a 4770 with a dual slot aftermarket cooler that throes hot air outside.

and yeah, GTX 260@11k has no competition, until a 40nm GPu from ati releases to replace 4870/4890.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^yes. there will be, atleast from nVidia for sub 8k cards to compete with HD4770

At this point of time, I think HD4770 is best card for 6k-9k.
for 10k-13k, it's GTX260 SP216

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
desiibond said:
secret is 40nm
Thats the secret to good clocks on OC, not 'why' the performance results are much more than expected for OC.
I mean, we wont see the same result by increasing the clock speed in each and every GPU.. The way performance sclaed here is great!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) 40nm means less heat and more efficiency
2) GDDR5
3) higher core clock speed

Remember, at stock speed, it is slower than HD4850 but when it is oced by 10%, it beats HD4850. Thanks to the new fabrication and low heat/power, it has much overclocking room. This is why it is able to compete with HD4850 and GTS 250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom