Status
Not open for further replies.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Code:
Source: www.techtree.com

Exclusive: XFX HD4770 [Review]

*images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/101505_front.jpg

40nm fabrication is finally commercial and for the first time it's a GPU instead of a CPU, and who other than ATI to bring you the world's first 40nm graphics card.

After striking gold with their 55nm RV770 GPU back in August last year, the RV740 is finally a reality. Shrinking the die further means cheaper cost of production (though the fabrication process itself is more expensive initially at least) since you get more dies per wafer of silicon and also lower power consumption, which eventually gives you lower operating temperatures.

The RV740 is not architecturally very different from the RV770; in fact it supports the exact same features. This GPU is fabricated using the 40nm process and comes with 640 stream processors (or shaders) just like the HD4830. In order to lower the cost of the card, the memory bus has been cut down to 128-bit instead of 256-bit, but to compensate for that ATI has chosen GDDR5 memory which is relatively easy to implement while drawing less power (1.5v). So instead of just shrinking the die of the HD4830, ATI has taken a slightly different route by giving you low voltage and much faster GDDR5 memory coupled with higher clock speeds for better performance.

The HD4830 was never far behind from the HD4850 and now with the HD4770 replacing it and promising better performance, that gap is soon closing up. We managed to snap up the only retail sample of the XFX HD4770 available in the country and are going to compare it with the reference card to find out what XFX has done differently. The direct competition to the HD4770 from Nvidia is the 9800GT, so of course that's there, and then we have the HD4830 and the HD4850 to complete the group.

Continue Reading:
*www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/Exclusive_XFX_HD4770_Review/551-101505-537.html

Usually I prefer not to advertise Techtree reviews here, but I thought you might be interested in this one. 8)

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) World's first card based on 40nm fabrication chip
2) cheaper than 9800GT and competes with GTS250 and HD4850
3) lakes lot less power

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
XFX's graphics card are always pricey. MSI 4770 costs 6.5k approx.

@naveen_reloaded
And add to that it performs just 10 % less in comparison to 4850. Now compare the prices & performance, and u'll know that 4770 is the real VFM card.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
4770 costs less than 100$ outside. So its insane to price it at 8.7k by XFX.
6~6.5k looks like a sweet spot.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Well yeah. I was kinda right about Full HD gaming nearing 5k price point soon.

The choices are so lucrative right now. Sadly its a long time before I buy one.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
For some reason I don't like this card. It could be just that I don't buy a graphics card just for gaming anymore.

ATI needs to do something to compete with nVidia CUDA. Badaboom is something which normal users are also finding appealing as it helps convert videos fast

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^ATi has something tht competes with Badaboom, and both have same speed. Only, the output format selection(choices) are much more for the ATi softie.

ATi has Havok, and c'mon, how many games use PhysX?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
palit one costs only 6.5k !
and heard cfx 4770 beats 4890 and GTX 260 by a gud margin. so probably X2 might well comes close to GTX 275 and ll be cheaper than cfx.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
definitely. I couldn't find any any difference between MSI and Sapphire cards so I think it's better to get MSI's version.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I have decided to upgrade my PC. And this is what I decided

1) AMD Phenom II X4 720 (will wait till this one's price comes down to 6k)
2) 790FX chipset based CF enabled board (so that I can have freedom to add a second HD4770 in the future)
3) 2x2Gb DDR2 800MHz RAM
4) HD4770

First I will buy HD4770 when Palit releases sonic edition so that i can do a bit more overclocking. Then I will go for mobo+cpu+ram upgrade.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
the card shown in the first post will cost only normal pricing of HD4770 like other brands. XFX Premium Reference Design HD4770 costs above 8k :
*img380.imageshack.us/img380/8350/img139022xfxati.jpg

source : techPowerUp

hot zubs

live life king like...
I have decided to upgrade my PC. And this is what I decided

1) AMD Phenom II X4 720 (will wait till this one's price comes down to 6k)
2) 790FX chipset based CF enabled board (so that I can have freedom to add a second HD4770 in the future)
3) 2x2Gb DDR2 800MHz RAM
4) HD4770

First I will buy HD4770 when Palit releases sonic edition so that i can do a bit more overclocking. Then I will go for mobo+cpu+ram upgrade.

dude wats d price of 790FX....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom