display switches off and on just for a second or so...

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Hey...
i am having a queer problem..
my computer is hooked up to my samsung led tv via a hdmi cable..
the display turns off and on on its own once in a while for a second or two..
what could be the problem??
i have used the same hdmi cable else where and there are no probs...
my config :
MOBO - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
GPU - XFX R9280X
RAM - 8GB KINGSTON 1600 HYPERX BLU
HDD - 500 GB WD CAVIER BLUE

PLZ help!!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Happens to my recently built Core i5 system.
I have a Dell 19" monitor attached to it. Sometimes displays goes off for a sec and then turns back on.

If my past experience (when I used to have a Pen 4 system) is to be considered, it's not a good sign. And usually means that Motherboard is going to go kaput soon. The reason for this the repair guy used to say is moisture which damages some capacitors.

I have kept my fingers crossed. :Fingerx: :(

icebags

Technomancer
this is happening to me also, for a year. happens when any other device - tv/fan/tube/else is switched on or off, because of the little voltage fluctuation that occurs during switching.

i think somewhere some capacitor probably isn't working as it should, it could be either of psu/mobo/gfx card or the monitor itself. or it could be windows 8 issue, not sure.

what brands of those components u people are using ? mine are corsair gs600/asus g41 mobo/evga 560/dell 24" - anything there seems common with what u ppl have ?

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
this is happening to me also, for a year. happens when any other device - tv/fan/tube/else is switched on or off, because of the little voltage fluctuation that occurs during switching.

i think somewhere some capacitor probably isn't working as it should, it could be either of psu/mobo/gfx card or the monitor itself. or it could be windows 8 issue, not sure.

what brands of those components u people are using ? mine are corsair gs600/asus g41 mobo/evga 560/dell 24" - anything there seems common with what u ppl have ?

hhholy c**p!! you are right!!!!!!!
i jus switched on the fan and the display just went booom!! off and on!!
my config :
GPU - XFX R9280X
PSU : Seasonic eco 600....
what could be the root of the prob??
btw is your connection properly earthed??
btw hv a look at this :
*www.tomshardware.com/forum/385710-33-monitor-blinks-turning-lights
and does it always happen??
coz i turned on the fan for the first time it happened ,,but aft tat...its ok...i mean nothins happenin..

Last edited:

PratikV

Broken In
Happens to my recently built Core i5 system.
I have a Dell 19" monitor attached to it. Sometimes displays goes off for a sec and then turns back on.

If my past experience (when I used to have a Pen 4 system) is to be considered, it's not a good sign. And usually means that Motherboard is going to go kaput soon. The reason for this the repair guy used to say is moisture which damages some capacitors.

I have kept my fingers crossed. :Fingerx: :(

Holy ***.. Same happened to me i have same i5 Rig....
as well as R9 280x..... but my problem was due to the game itself, while playing a game the display went off for 2 sec and came back on showing AMD Display driver has been recovered. but when i stopped playing that game it never happened to me....

aniket.cain

Padawan
I had been facing this issue for some time with my Dell monitor connected to the laptop via HDMI. Whenever I switched off/on anything in my room, the display went off for a second.

Then I got a UPS and connected the monitor, the speakers and the wi-fi router to it, and everything has been working fine since then.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Simple
Change the hdmi cable with a high quality one and viola problem solved

Happened with cheap hdmi cable that came with Airtel HD and when any electric device it's switched on it Goes blank for 5 seconds

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Simple
Change the hdmi cable with a high quality one and viola problem solved

Happened with cheap hdmi cable that came with Airtel HD and when any electric device it's switched on it Goes blank for 5 seconds

but I used the same cable with my lappy and it was fine...

icebags

Technomancer
hhholy c**p!! you are right!!!!!!!
i jus switched on the fan and the display just went booom!! off and on!!
my config :
GPU - XFX R9280X
PSU : Seasonic eco 600....
what could be the root of the prob??
btw is your connection properly earthed??
btw hv a look at this :
Monitor Blinks when turning lights off - Graphics Cards - Graphics & Displays
and does it always happen??
coz i turned on the fan for the first time it happened ,,but aft tat...its ok...i mean nothins happenin..

thanks for the link. i am using a cheap hdmi cable, cause monitor doesn't have dvi port, even though i have those from my old monitor.

may be due to the cheap cable, not sure. are u all using cheap cable too ? (we don't have any earthing prob, earthing is ok)

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
thanks for the link. i am using a cheap hdmi cable, cause monitor doesn't have dvi port, even though i have those from my old monitor.

may be due to the cheap cable, not sure. are u all using cheap cable too ? (we don't have any earthing prob, earthing is ok)

me using 200 buck ka cable..define a "good" cable....

icebags

Technomancer
200 buck clable is most probably cheap chinese unbranded cable. that can not be good cable.

icebags

Technomancer
idk, let others recommend. but it may be good cable, if these flipkart reviews are legit, and these ppl are actually using this cable without any issue..... (however, u need to check the hdmi port types u need - mine uses mini hdmi to hdmi cable -etc)

DigiFlip HC001 A to A Gaming HDMI Cable - DigiFlip: Flipkart.com

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
what about this
*www.flipkart.com/prolink-hdmi-1-4v...r=search&pageNum=1#product-review-collapsible

icebags

Technomancer
HDMI cable buying guide | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
so which cable to buy? plz suggest..

not like that...
a bad cable you have has improper sheilding thats why it is picking interference from nearby high voltage wires(230v ac) and disrupts the digital signal and we get a blank screen

change cable this is the sure solution and nothing related to earthing.

i too use a 200rs cable but it is a good one,
recently gor a 10m hdmi 1.4v cable and no issues, because it is a good cable.

only what you can do is try all the cables you have...

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
not like that...
a bad cable you have has improper sheilding thats why it is picking interference from nearby high voltage wires(230v ac) and disrupts the digital signal and we get a blank screen

change cable this is the sure solution and nothing related to earthing.

i too use a 200rs cable but it is a good one,
recently gor a 10m hdmi 1.4v cable and no issues, because it is a good cable.

only what you can do is try all the cables you have...

ook..so I will try using my frens hdmi cable..and c if it helps or not..and I also got the earthing in my apartment chkd today, and its not working..