Cutting Prices Won't Save Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
U really need to have Vista experience. All vista user are well satisfied.

well, I have used vista RC1, and Vista Home Basic. And my experience with vista is very good. Well cant say about others.

Your second quote is correct. It may have been good for you , but it was horrible for me. Maybe later when they come out with another service pack I'll try it again. From what I hear SP1 wasn't really upto the mark :/ .

narangz

Web developer
I dunno why but I've never heard saying that Win98 is good while speaking bad about XP. Everywhere.. I mean everywhere ppl were happy about XP and wanted to ditch 98 due to crashes. Guess thats coz they already had tasted the stability of Win2K over which XP basically is built. I dunno why you guys keep saying that ppl hailed 98 when XP was launched. Or mebbe I was in Mars that time!!!

Yes, XP was & is stable than 98. But those RPC reboots & other issues before SP1 made many people, I know, switch back to 98. SP2 just changed the whole story. For people like me XP+SP2 meant a new OS. Seriously I didn't care about Longhorn & Vista delays as I was more than happy with XP+SP2.

Coming back to topic- I really want MS to price their products more sensibly in India. We don't earn USD & they expect us to spend our INR converted to USD. You can't kill piracy with Activations & Genuine Advantage. People will find a way out. Sell the products with sane pricing & I bet most of us will buy the genuine license. Agree?

^Agree :) Although pricing has been a lil better with Vista Home (Premium and Basic) editions, compared to XP Pro. But it needs to improve.

I dont think there is any problem with 16 bit programs in Vista, i personally run Turbo CPP in Vista, no problems at all.

SP1 has really improved the file system performance in Vista, although performance on USB drives has got worse. Throughput on pen drives is very less even compared to Vista RTM.

As for the stability and performance, i am using vista for about last 12 months. At first i did had problems with some applications, compatibility issues mostly. But as soon as i neutralized them by either upgrading or finding something better (i found compat problems with 3 out of about 60 odd softwares and utilities installed on my lappy). From that time till now, system is running smoothly and i reinstalled only once, deliberately, not because of any problem, while installing SP1 RTM ( i wanted it on a fresh install for my inner satisfactions :) ).

I can't understand how people don't get tired writing same things again and again even when they are explained b4 countless number of times. Consuming more RAM is not an issue, its a feature, this has been explained countless number of times on various forums and blogs, including my own, but no effect of that. On my lappy with 1.5 GB of ram, my available physical memory is always 10-40 MB, so what?? my lappy runs even smoothly then windows coz almost all the programs that i use frequently are precached into RAM. How in the world is this a bad thing???? Moreover this RAM is never paged and whenever a program requires memory to run, its freed instantly.

And in my personal experience, i hadn't ever hit by a virus or a worm or a trojan with my default setup of Windows Defender, Windows Firewall and Disabled Kaspersky Antivirus (only use it when i myself want to scan a disk or file). For me, UAC was once an irritant, but it has repeatedly shown its usefulness to me when i accidentally double clicked on a virus file while cleaning it. It never allowed it to run. Even when the exe was run by my younger bro, its wasn't able to do anything because of the low-permissions-by-default security model. I am thankful for this feature as it has saved many of my productive hours ( a serious .NET programmer knows how much time it takes to take the fresh machine back to the state before attack, a hardcore tweaker knows even better :) ). This protection may not be adequate for all types of viruses, but the most common ones , The USB drives based viruses, are out of your PC with Vista.

So things were improved with Vista and things have improved with SP1 even more. Vista is different by design and it takes very little time to know how to work around with these differences. Thats true with every OS, even linux, in my honest personal openion.

narangz

Web developer
For me, UAC was once an irritant, but it has repeatedly shown its usefulness to me when i accidentally double clicked on a virus file while cleaning it. It never allowed it to run. Even when the exe was run by my younger bro, its wasn't able to do anything because of the low-permissions-by-default security model. I am thankful for this feature as it has saved many of my productive hours ( a serious .NET programmer knows how much time it takes to take the fresh machine back to the state before attack, a hardcore tweaker knows even better ). This protection may not be adequate for all types of viruses, but the most common ones , The USB drives based viruses, are out of your PC with Vista.

+1 My views are absolutely similar! :)

bkpeerless

In the zone
I have one quiestion why ms made window vista ... a person genrally buy high system fore gaming or multimedia but vista doesnot help in gaming at all and if they have made it for office use well then i dont think offices use high end machine.. They should make os that sqeeze every ouns of power from a machine.. so that games can be played well

narangz

Web developer
I have one quiestion why ms made window vista ... a person genrally buy high system fore gaming or multimedia but vista doesnot help in gaming at all and if they have made it for office use well then i dont think offices use high end machine.. They should make os that sqeeze every ouns of power from a machine.. so that games can be played well

1. Gaming Use- Vista doesn't help gaming? :grin: Heard about Direct X 10?
2. Office Use- Does a processor worth 3.5K, Mobo worth 3.5K & RAM worth 900 bucks come in high level machine category?

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
@Krazy_About_technology: plz guide me how 2 use cpp 16bit in vista...m not able 2 get fullscreen on it so cant use graphics commands

Enjoy~!

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
U really need to have Vista experience. All vista user are well satisfied.
You may be right. I have some version of windows but i don't know. Can you guys plz help me figure out which edition this is (picture attached)

*img176.imageshack.us/img176/3820/vistaidioteditionta1is2.jpg

Vista is also fast, all you need is decent hardware configuration.

Yes vista is very fast. It has set 2007 speed record

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
You may be right. I have some version of windows but i don't know. Can you guys plz help me figure out which edition this is (picture attached)

Yes vista is very fast. It has set 2007 speed record

If you don't know how to use Windows, then it is not the fault of MS that it is slow for u.

What u have is a vLite edition of Vista.

High end gaming machine = DirectX 10

Multimedia = Vista Media Center

what else do u want in an OS, Let me know?

Last edited:
@Speedguy: I am sorry dear, my bad. I hadn't checked TC after installing vista. It indeed doesn't runs on Vista on its own.

But you can run it without any problem with DOSBox, the dos emulator. It can run tc in full screen. Download it from *prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe?download. Its a small 1.4 mb download.

After installing start it from desktop shortcut, mount your tc\bin directory as drive c and any additional dirs (containing your source files etc) as other drives, if you want. The command to mount a directory as a drive in DOSBox is :
Code:
mount <driveletter> <actual_directory>

ex: to mount c:\tc\bin as c: type:

z:\>mount c c:\tc\bin

there you go, just type tc on the prompt now to start the ide. you can go fullscreen using standard alt+enter.
If you want to make these settings permanent, there is an option to do so i think. Also there are many frontend program available as a seperate download from *www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1.

As for a better alternative, try relo with borland c compiler. Search for a thread on this forum in programming section with this name. It contains download info and all.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
ya iv tried relo but ts not compiling my borland codes....2ndly tried that doxbox....ts workin fine but i think graphics still not working on it....it trips out 2 windows on exec

Enjoy~!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Coming back to topic- I really want MS to price their products more sensibly in India. We don't earn USD & they expect us to spend our INR converted to USD. You can't kill piracy with Activations & Genuine Advantage. People will find a way out. Sell the products with sane pricing & I bet most of us will buy the genuine license. Agree?
+1, I couldn't agree more!

Its not that MS should give Vista for free but it can price it right... Why only Thailand and other oriental countries got a price cut to counter piracy while India is neglected? Its not just MS, look at Apple...

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
@CadCrazy, I cant help you..if you dont know how to use windows OS.
I have small and very good vista experience.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
:lol: been a long time since i read a good joke :lol:

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
It's the Idiot Version :p

Jugnu control kar yaar. :))

Actually yaar i was getting bored so i edited the screenshot & pasted it here. Baki sab fanboys yahi bol rahe hai ki tumhe window use nahin karni aati. Jo main dikahna chah raha hun woh nahin dekh pa rahe hain ( fanboyism ne unki aankhon pe parda dal diya hai) .Sirf tumne sahi point ko pakda hai :D

@CadCrazy, I cant help you..if you dont know how to use windows OS.
I have small and very good vista experience.

And who asked you for help

Last edited:
ya iv tried relo but ts not compiling my borland codes....2ndly tried that doxbox....ts workin fine but i think graphics still not working on it....it trips out 2 windows on exec

Enjoy~!

BGI Graphics is working without any problem, just the keyboard shortcuts are having problem coz they conflict with dosboxs'. Dont use them or somehow configure them, there should be something given on the site or in readme. use menus to run programs. I for testing ran this program and it worked nicely.
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
#include<conio.h>
#include<graphics.h>

void main()
{
  int gd=DETECT, gm;
  initgraph(&gd, &gm, "c:\\tc\\bgi");
  line(100,100,200,100);
  getch();
  closegraph();
  restorecrtmode();