Convert a XFX 8600GT to XFX 8600GTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_d5010

Journeyman
assasin said:
in games frame rates hav inc'd by bout 3-10fps
So what would you recommend people to do?
the first mod or the second mod?
I think that to preserve the life of card, it would be better for first mod you stated, ONLY IF there is not much noticable difference between first and second

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
The_Devil_Himself said:
@assasin it means 8600GT falal1ty edition is better than even 8600GTS??

now when did i say anything like that:confused:

all i can say is that after oc'ing any 8600Gt to say bout 720/1620/1700 one sud get performance close to or at par with 8600GTS.:)

p_d5010

Journeyman
Oh! Now getting too confused how you flashed it with "modded edition of fatality cards' . Please give a step by step guide as u did first.........this will help clear some confusion

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
^^^ theres nothing to be confused of.just dl the bios of XFX 8600GT Fatal1ty Edition.modd it with nibitor and flash ur existing 8600GT with t.its as simple as that.

p_d5010

Journeyman
assasin said:
^^^ theres nothing to be confused of.just dl the bios of XFX 8600GT Fatal1ty Edition.modd it with nibitor and flash ur existing 8600GT with t.its as simple as that.

Oh! I got it......I already had all the versions of the card downloaded......did you try flashing it with 8600GTS bios?

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
p_d5010 said:
did you try flashing it with 8600GTS bios?

no and i wont suggest any1 to do it cuz a 8600gts is diff from a 8600gt in 2 counts:
1>xternal pci-e pwr connector
2>HDCP

so if u flash u 8600gt with 8600gts bios then u may damage ur card.try at ur own risk.

@The_Devil_Himself read thru the whole thread.u'll get ur ans.

p_d5010

Journeyman
Update:
Just got my new card tonight. The Idle temperature was 61 deg. C on stock speed as well as on 610/730........load temperature max went to 82deg. C on stock as well as oc.... . Is this normal? Or too high ?

Performance:
Lost planet DX10 1280x720:Medium-High: avg.20fps.....
Bioshock DX10: 1440x900:high:29fps...

@assasin..should i try to overclock this card now by your method? or not coz temps. are too high! ...Should i install an extra fan below the card.......but would it reduce the temps. of my card?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
A blowing fan below the card may help reduce the temp. by a few degrees but not much.I suggest you check with others having the same card and maybe get a replacement if it runs too hot.

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
yeah the card's running a bit hot at load.ideally it sud be bout 75C at load.just increase the clk speeds to 720|1620|1700(850*2) and report the temps here.
fix a fan below to card to cool the ram chips cuz they r uncovered.
'newayz i wont be doing anymore 8600GT modding cuz i'll be getting a 8800GTS 320MB by the end of this month.

p_d5010

Journeyman
ok.....i installed riva tuner 2.03(unsupported for 163.67)....and tried to overclock the core to 720....... but as soon as i hit apply, the core again reduces to 540? why would that happen?maybe coz of unsupported driver installed for riva tuner?
At these temps, i am not feeling good to o/c this card right now............i can do software o/c, but i would do bios mod only after i install a vga cooler.....

@assasin:
What would you do to the old 8600gt :-??

Also, should I install the fan to blow the air towards card or suck air from the mem chips?

Last edited:
OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
install the fan in such a way so that it blows air towards the mem chips.

i'll sell the 8600GT and get the 8800GTS 320MB.

p_d5010

Journeyman
assasin said:
install the fan in such a way so that it blows air towards the mem chips.

i'll sell the 8600GT and get the 8800GTS 320MB.
But in the pic u have shown, it seems that the fan is sucking air from the card and throwing it out of the cabinet....

p_d5010

Journeyman
Update:
Just checked in with my other two friends for temperature, both of them get 80-85 deg. celcius on load and 60-62 on idle.....so maybe the new cards in market today are running at that temperature only maybe.........so i went on and overclocked the card.......and got 85max on load......
other thing, i just noticed that overclocking the core also overclocks the shader clock in riva tuner, as doin 700 core and 850 memory, the shader overclocked to 1566.....so conclusion, not doing bios flashing is beneficial in the following ways:
1>The card doesnt get overclocked when not in use(like no use for overclocking when u use office)
2>Unnecessary rise in temp thus reduces
3>the card core and mem reduces back to stock when the card is idle, thus reducing temps. more!(noticed in riva tuner only)

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
p_d5010 said:
1>The card doesnt get overclocked when not in use(like no use for overclocking when u use office)
2>Unnecessary rise in temp thus reduces
3>the card core and mem reduces back to stock when the card is idle, thus reducing temps. more!(noticed in riva tuner only)

and the cons r:
1>u wont get the oc clk speeds each time u start any game..so it creates a prob.
2>u need to oc all over again if u uninstall driver or install os.
3>u wont be able to inc vcore.

p_d5010

Journeyman
assasin said:
and the cons r:
1>u wont get the oc clk speeds each time u start any game..so it creates a prob.
1>u can save the riva overclocked speeds set to boot every time when windows starts.
assasin said:
2>u need to oc all over again if u uninstall driver or install os.
3>u wont be able to inc vcore.
I agree with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom