console vs PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
K

krazyfrog

Ahem. s18000rpm, i would like to introduce you to something called USB keyboard and mouse, which can be attached to any current console, including PS2 (my PS2 has 2 USB ports for such accessories) for 'PC-like gaming' in fps etc. Not to mention stuff like racing wheels which can also be connected similarly for racing games.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
hmmm, then in PS2 can i configure movements to the Mouse (in GTA), coz in PC, I AM NOT Able to configure the movement (camera) onto Joystic (gamepad's), so as i cant configure these keys in PC, how can you do it in Consoles???

coz console games offer very limited configurability.

& as this accessory is present, why is that many gamers want to play FPS on PC???

in gaming convetion (WCG), i didnt see anyone with a console (maybe i missed)

OP
K

krazyfrog

If a particular control can be configured for the controller, it can also be configured on keyboard/mouse. Logitech has a mouse/keyboard specially designed for use on PS2. I've even seen a keyboard with the controller handles on its sides. It looks like if someone stretches the space between the two handles of a controller and added a full qwerty keyboard in between. Also PS2 and USB keyboard/mouse compatibility is much better than PC and controller. Also unlike pc where some game controller might not work on certain games, in consoles there are no such restriction and nearly any USB keyboard/mouse can be used with any game. Same goes for racing wheels. Actually two racing wheels can be connected to PS2 for two people to play split screen racing.
As to why most people want to play fps on pc rather than consoles, the answer is simple. Cause more fps are made for pc rather than consoles. Why's that? I dunno! Actually i played Black and COD:3 on my PS2 and i had no problems at all, both being fps. When i played Doom 3 on a pc, the mouse was excellent for point-and-shoot, but the keyboard was a real horror. Its very difficult to move with the arrow keys. And other moves like strafing, jumping etc. were also complicated. You have to move your hand around too much and it starts to hurt after some time. With a controller, its all at your finger tips, and even after four hours, your hands don't hurt. The PS2 controller has a nifty rumble (vibration) function which kicks in at key moments in game (when you fire or get hit, your car crashes or when it goes off roads, it continues to vibrate to give the feeling of a vibrating steering wheel on rough road, etc). Its really neat and special PS2 racing wheels also have the rumble feature. Its amazing and helps you immerse into the game.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
man the "pain" part is completely opposite for me:D, if i use the controller for more than 1 hour at a stretch, then i'm ought to have some pain in my fingers.:D

about two steering wheels in PS2, with PC you can connect upto FOUR.

CMR 04 & 05 have 4 split screen mode, so you can use 4 gamepads/steering wheels...

& dude about the Vibration thing, all gamepad & steering wheel support them regardless the platform.:wink:
i once played F1 on my cousin's laptop with a steering wheel, & it was REALLY a GOOD experience, the steering would THROW back in corners , superb experience.

F1 was nothing, CMR04 was just brilliant, i cud do "counter steering" in such a way that i cud keep the car in "Line", & the way the Steering THROWS back was just superb, it makes you to put some force & Hold the "Opposite Lock"...

man now look what you did:x, you reminded me of steering wheels, which took such a long time to get over with.

:D
--------
for PS2 GTA SA was released in 2004, right?

maan, PS2 is not powerful enuf to show CJ's reflection (inside houses), but my PC (Intel 915g + GMA900 onboard), can show 'em :D

[P.S. my PC doesnt even have PCI-e slot loool]

anyway, PS2 is a brilliant platform, the whole world knows.

for me, its just that i wanna see more cars (NFS Carbon), see more details & ofcourse being able to install MODS (which makes the game last a bit longer).
-------

i wud really want to own PS3 & two PSPs :D

you know with games like F1 & WRC, you can just set the two PSP beside the TV & activate them, VOILA, now you got yourself TWO fully functional independent REAR View MIRRORS :twisted:

XBox lacks these as MS doesnt have any Portable thing:D, so X360 is outta Question for me.

just imagine, how AMAZING it wud be to have two PSPs as Wing mirrors :rolleyes:

a TRUE Next Gen console, kudos to Sony :D

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis
defenitely a pc even though it might be much more expensive. games for pcs are so much more easily available and cheaper (not talking about the original ones of course :) ). even tournaments generally focus on pc gaming

OP
K

krazyfrog

I was able to do counter steering and opposite locking frequently in GT4 dirt tracks in Impreza quiet easily. Some of the hair pins require you to pull the hand brake mid corner so that the tail steps out and the car starts facing the corner, then a bit of opposite lock and your car's nose is pointing the right way. All this is quiet possible with the pressure sensitive joysticks which installs the current amount of steering input according to the movement of the joystick (GT4 had bars on screen showing the amount of steering input and accelerator/braking input currently being applied). But i guess a racing wheel would be better any day as two hands and legs could easily beat two thumbs. I'd like to get one myself, especially one with a gear lever (are there any with paddle shifts?) so i can finally use the manual gearbox instead of automatic.
And no you can't connect pc with psp.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
all Sterring wheels (ranging from 1000 bucks) have Paddle shift.

for Steering wheels its easy to find one with paddle shift but tough & costly for the one with a "Shifter". & DARN hard to get one with "Clutch", if you find any then it will have Sky Rocketing price tag:(

use the "Semi-Auto" (useful & easy in Gamepads too).

with semi auto you can save your car from damages in tight & curvy tracks & still make better lap times.

how - ENGINE BRAKING.:twisted:

just Down-shift (dont use throttle at all), this way the brakes dont over-heated, as you use them CAREFULLY (at last minute) , so lesser chances of Overshooting corners.

-----------

btw ,whats with "Pressure Sensitive" joysticks :confused:, arent the PS2 gamepads same as the ones available for PC's.

-----------

so there isnt any possibilty of PSP + PC integration? any mods??

OP
K

krazyfrog

Thats where you're wrong. All the playstations and xboxes have pressure sensitive controllers. They sense the amount being dialed by the user and send the respective feed to the game. The game then analyses the input and acts accordingly. For ex. if i want the car cruise at a low speed (even in NFS series), i just have to push the stick slightly and the car will drive accordingly. Similarly i can pull the stick slightly to shave off excess speed if i feel the car is going too fast for the corner than required or if i want to brake hard i can pull the stick back all the way and the car will screech to a halt. Same goes for steering. If the road curves gently, i just have to push the stick slightly so that the car turn without losing too much speed. A hard push can make the car do a U-turn. It like having a racing wheel. And it applies not just to racing hands but to all genres. In Splinter cell for ex. small push can make sam move stealthily and hard push will make him run fast creating a racket. I don't know whether there is any pressure sensitive controllers available for pc. I don't even think pc games support pc sensitivity. Because they're primarily designed for keyboard/mouse and no keyboard/mouse supports pressure sensitivity.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
^^hell no. even in a pc if u have a gamepad with analog sticks, u can maintain any speed you want and even turn just as much as u want. the comp games also read analog signals and they don't get converted to digital signals

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
its Analog thingy dude:D

i thought it was like the Sony's new 6-axis controller :D.

i have a Gamepad, & in NFS MW, i maintain sub- 100kmph, this way no cop starts a chase :D.

how i do it- just the way you said, push the Analog stick(s) slightly.

hell lot usefull in F1 C, as i can just BLAST thru some tight corners by keeping the accelerator (analog stick) in a position such that the car maintains the "corner speed" (ex- 130kmph), eliminating the use of braking thru-out the corner.

but its a pity its useless in CMR05:(, as this game does not allow to use a button & Stick (brake & accelerator) at once coz one has to use Brake & Accelerator at the same time for high speed power slides, so i have to use only ONE Analog stick for steering.

force feedback is same as in PS2's. thats why some of the PC gamepads are called "PS2 Clones"

OP
K

krazyfrog

The right side buttons (X, triangle, square, circle) are also pressure sensitive. You can use them as accelerator and brake and depending upon the pressure you put on them, the car will drive accordingly. And they're just buttons, not sticks. And I CAN brake and accelerate at the same time. In NFS, this causes the car to burn its tires creating clouds of smoke, since the front tires get locked and the rear keep burning. This is also useful while driving, especially drifting.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
no dude, i meant for CMR05 game.

in that game you can EITHER use the Analog stick for Accelerating + Braking OR the buttons.

you cant configure to use both the Analog stick for accelerating & a button for Braking.

its ANY ONE of them, button or Stick. (not both), but in other games its possible.
so i've to stick with the buttons :D

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar
Didnt u know the PS2 gamepad can be connected to pc via ps2 to Usb connector. Now wat good is the ps2 then??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom