Connecting Two Computers via Direct Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

navino87

In the zone
hi friends,

I have a problem regarding creating a LAN connection so please help me.

My problem is =>

I have bought a new computer with an on bourd LAN card. I want to connect my new computer with my old one, which does not have lan card. So Please tell me what are the things that is to be bought to make the direct cable connection. And also tell me the step by step procedure for connecting this two computer via direct cable. please help me ................

My purpose of connecting =>

1.To share the files & folders.
2.To connect to internet via my old computer.
3.Playing Multi Player games.
etc.....
Please tell me whether the above mentioned things are possible via LAN.Also tell me what are the other things that can be done via LAN.

I always belive that this forum will solve all my problem soo Please help me.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
U cant connect 2 comps without an lan card on each, but i think lan to usb convertors are available....

yes, all that is possible in LAN

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
then u can buy a lan (rj45 i think) connector and connect ur pcs and use network wiz. for home ad-hoc networkin...

OP
N

navino87

In the zone
tried

I tried connecting my new computer with my laptop which has lan card. But it does not work.

Please tell me the step by step procedure for connecting two computers for connecting to internet & for other reasons mentioned.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
*www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

Visit this site to learn how to make a cross over cable for connecting ur lancarded pcs. 8)

OP
N

navino87

In the zone
more

In that web site it is given only about How To Make a Crossover Cable ,which can be bought from a shop .I asked how to connect 2 computer with use of this Crossover Cable.

But thank u for that great information.

theraven

Technomancer
get a lan card for ur old computer

get a RJ45 CROSS OVER CABLE

connect each end to either pc

boot each computer

goto network connections from control panel

right click on the lan card connection on each comp and select properties

double click on TCP/IP settings

click on "assign ip address manually"

give one computer the ip address of say 192.168.0.1
and the other the ip address of 192.168.0.2

the subnet mask for each should be 255.255.255.0
this should be automatically set

the other settings are not required
press ok twice

now goto the pc of 192.168.0.1 goto the command prompt from run=> cmd
type in ping 192.168.0.2
see if the computer pings and gets a reply

next goto 192.168.0.2 and follow the exact same steps .. only ping 192.168.0.1 instead

if each computer can ping the other computer ur connection was successful
and now u can share fles and/or folders

once ur done with this .. come back here and ill tell u how to setup internet connection sharing and how to share folders...

actually for internet sharing i have a tutorial up in the tutorial section ... u may search for it and follow it up

OP
N

navino87

In the zone
I have searched this forum for internet connection sharing and how to share folders but i cannot find it. Please help me in it.

Please tell me how to share internet connection and folders.Also tell me what r the other things that can be done with lan connection.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
heres another useful one i guess :

*www.internet-sharing.com/internet_sharing_faq.html

Edit :

Another

*help.lockergnome.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6966.html

OP
N

navino87

In the zone
not satisfied

Please tell me how to share internet connection and folders.Also tell me what r the other things that can be done with lan connection.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me

please give me step by step procedure for sharing internet connection and folders.

whim_gen

Journeyman
@Expert...
I guess Start>Run>WinChat computer-name does the chatting part.

@Every body else ...Yes!! U can connect two PCs without
LAN Cards Click Here for detailed info.
8)
Hope it helps
Adios

hack expert

In the zone
@ expert no 1
what about chat ?

is there any meesenger for chatting betwenn computers in lan ?

well there are many mssngers for lan chat

IP messenger is a good one (supports file transfer also)
P2p Voip 1.1 (voice chat on lan)

many others google for them

KoRn

In the zone
Hey guys can i connect two pcs through a usb cable or connect pc to laptop via a usb.they both have a lancard.
MY PURPOSE:
1.to transfer files.
2.multiplayer gaming.

premrajeev

Journeyman
hey,

u can connect 2 pc's through usb, but a usb to usb cable will cost u around 500 to 800 bucks,and is hard to find, where a cross over cable is available 4 rs 50 and easily available.As u have lan cards on both pc's, just go 4 a cross ovr cbl.

geekysage

Journeyman
@theraven: don't wanna act nitpicky but RJ45 is the connector you use to mount CAT5/5e/6 cables. The cable is called CAT5 i.e. category 5. On a side note, a phone connection uses RJ11 connectors and CAT3 cable.

@premrajeev: thanks for mentioning the cost of a male to male USB cable.

Guys, forget about connecting two PCs using anything other than a LAN card i.e. NIC (network interface card). 100Mbps compared to a few Mbps! Just go to your nearest computer market and buy an ethernet card for ~Rs.500, buy the required length of CAT5 cable, ask the guy to make a crossover cable for you. Take it home, connect both your computers using that cable and windows xp will take care of the rest for you (it'll autoconfigure). Also, search on google for "home networking tutorials" or look at theraven's tutorial (i haven't looked at it yet but i think it will do the job). You'll have to enable file sharing and change a setting here and there to share the internet connection, play network games and transfer files i.e. movies, mp3s.

Peace.

PS: Serial networking (RS232) was used in the days of yore to connect two computers. I had to use it once back in 1999 and believe me, it was a real pain in the a_ss. Geeks use RS232 cable to connect robots and other home made devices to their computers and then control them via a code written in C/some other script. But even that is changing now with the easy and cheap availability of wireless equipements. Geeks are now realizing new dimensions with the use of wireless connections, search on google and you'll find a lot of crazy stuff. Slashdot readers are prolly already aware of the new developments. Anyway, just wanted to put some sense on you guys who wanna use USB/Serial connections w/out any particular reason when ethernet NICs are available for pennies nowadays (for free during the holiday period here in uncle sam's land.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom