Camera talk...

sujoyp

Grand Master
@gen none of your expensive compact can do good macro or birding as good as a dedicated lens :) now here comes the thing...ILC will always have the advantage of more lenses

Compacts with larger sensor may beat DSLR at portrait or landscape or low light but never on macro or birding

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@gen none of your expensive compact can do good macro or birding as good as a dedicated lens :) now here comes the thing...ILC will always have the advantage of more lenses
Compacts with larger sensor may beat DSLR at portrait or landscape or low light but never on macro or birding

For me I couldn't care less about birding/macros. And then how would I shoot birds if I never carried the DSLR out of home.
A cheap DSLR would beat a compact for people shots but for my levels of interests I guess I am willing to make that sacrifice in IQ.

I think this makes it important for people to know what kind of photography interests them.

sujoyp

Grand Master
You are right...I actually love to do only macro and birding and maybe some landscape..but shooting people bore me..maybe I will stick with dslr for longer time ;-)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I like to travel without carrying any bags. If I had a DSLR all the photos I took would had been taken at home. I'd rather buy an expensive compact than a DSLR but that's just my pov.
Yeah, I get your point. And you're sure about what you want and you know what you can expect from a compact. That's good.

In my case, I want a DSLR. But do I need one? Hmmm.... :chinscratch: I don't know. I don't think I have one good reason to justify me buying a DSLR. And I can't afford it right now. Really I want to learn this art and I can do so with the camera I have. I don't necessarily need a DSLR to learn it. It seems more like I don't have will/perseverance to "learn to see". I started a book, and I couldn't complete it. It's been on the shelf for a very long time, collecting dust. I come up with lot of reasons why I couldn't do the exercise/project, but why I couldn't bring one single reason that I could do it. I wish I could do what I wanted to do, not just photography, pretty much everything in life. :)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Well an ILC gives you a lot more room to experiment. You can fit random lenses, reverse lenses, use bulb mode, experiment around with post processing of RAW files, fit external flashes, filters (polarizing and ND being the coolest) and a million more things.

If you want a compact one then you can get a mirrorless, if you want to try sports or birding then there are many mirrored ones to choose from.

But at the end its still about the photographer and not the cam. Some of the best instagram profiles are of people who've been super creative with just a phone or a compact cam. Hell some of my best pics are from my canon sx120.

sujoyp

Grand Master
thats a great deal...just check all the functionality of camera...a P&S may develop a problem if it fells down..check any crack

$hadow

Geek in making
thats a great deal...just check all the functionality of camera...a P&S may develop a problem if it fells down..check any crack

On the sensor right coz I think there is something wrong in the center of the lens. There is a hairline crack thing.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
On the sensor right coz I think there is something wrong in the center of the lens. There is a hairline crack thing.
Actually, I am not sure what you're trying to say here. You checked the camera and find a crack in the lens???

You can't look at the sensor of RX100 M2. It's not a DSLR. But pretty much everything you read in "the checklist of buying used DSLR" would fit compacts too. Google it, you will find a lot of info on buying used cameras. Here are few..
Buying A Used Digital SLR? Wait! 3 ThingsÂ*To Look Out For
Checklist for Buying Used Cameras and Lenses on Craigslist

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
To be honest a slight crack or scratch on the lens usually will not affect the image quality all that much. Do click a couple of pics and check though

Check all buttons and dials, flash, zooming mechanism and all. Connect it to a laptop and see that the ports are ok and don't lose connection on moving the wire.

sujoyp

Grand Master
thats great...have fun and check properly.

amlan if the lens have very slight scratch or fungus its fine...but P&S are very delicate...I would take a bit less risk on P&S

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
a bit off topic but changing the lens on a sony point and shoot should be roughly between 3k-6k depending on model(Ive dropped 2 of my cybershot cameras in the past)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
a bit off topic but changing the lens on a sony point and shoot should be roughly between 3k-6k depending on model(Ive dropped 2 of my cybershot cameras in the past)
Seems like a decent pricing, but I doubt it, if this is gonna be the range for RX100... What were the models you got it fixed?

$hadow

Geek in making
thats great...have fun and check properly.

amlan if the lens have very slight scratch or fungus its fine...but P&S are very delicate...I would take a bit less risk on P&S

Pics coming soon.

- - - Updated - - -

that's cheap! which model did you get fixed?

Top Bottom