Building Gaming PC for 105k

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Cilus, thanks. But any suggestions for the router?

I like your config. I am thinking about saving 6k on the graphics card by going for the GTX 560 and putting that money behind a router with NAS. If I go for the 6970, then I have no money left for the router and its indispensable. Besides, benchmarks show the GTX 560 Hawk can beat the 6970. So I cant justify wasting 6k more for a similar performance card.

Btw how come Gigabyte Z68 mobo is priced lesser than Asus P67 pro? Is that Z68 board worse than the P67?

well you are wrong here.
if i consider a 560 ti hawk review -
Introduction - MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk Video Card Review | [H]ard|OCP
(look at apples-to-apples comparison at bottom)
a 6950 running at stock beats a 560 ti hawk (oced 560 ti to 950mhz) in 3 out of 5 games.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Cilus shipping charge depends on product.

There are manufacturer restrictions in shipping to India, but Corsair USA permits it.

no point getting PSU from amazon due to weight.

Cilus

laborare est orare
nginx, GTX 560 Ti is no match for HD 6970 and even non OCed HD 6950 beats the standard overclocked GTX 560 Ti in almost all scenarios. MSI Hawk version is not available in Kolkata and the twin frozer II/OC is available @ 14.2K. Now the standard Sapphire HD 6950 2 GB is available around 14.2 to 14.5K in M.D. Compuetrs and the MSI Twin Frozer version is available @ 15K. So HD 6950 is a far better choice. It also consumes less power than 560 Ti. Oced version of GTX 560 Ti consumes a lot higher power than HD 6950.

shayem

In the zone
^ Thanks man. Any other recommendations? A couple of choices at hand would be good be good for side by side comparison.

And what is CCIE you're talking about?

Well!! then first tell me what's your budget for router?

And CCIE stands for Cisco Certified Internet Expert. They get good discount on Cisco products.

tkin

Back to school!!
Look in kol hw price check to get some quotes.

ALL MSI CARDS CAN BE IMPORTED BY MD COMPUTERS. INCLUDING THE GTX 560ti HAWK

shayem

In the zone
here are some more recommendation:
Linksys E3000 @6.3k,
Linksys E3200 @9.5k,
Linksys E4200 @11.3k,
Linksys WRT610N v2 @7.3k,
LaCie Wireless Space (1TB) @14.8k,

I suggest go for E4200 model if budget is not a pro else go for E3000. PrimeABGB and ITDeopt over priced so ignore those link. Though my given price is not accurate(lowest price you can get in market :Fingerx: ).

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice. Thanks Shayem.

@nginx:
Select the wireless router and the storage drives first. After that we can work out with the rest of the budget for your other components.

tkin

Back to school!!
Nice. Thanks Shayem.

@nginx:
Select the wireless router and the storage drives first. After that we can work out with the rest of the budget for your other components.
He bought the storage already(he bought 2 Seagate and 2 WD external hdds today @ 15k), wonder what he will do with so much external storage.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, so that capped the budget @ 90k. Let him select the router then. Regarding storage space, OP had stated he works with raw, uncompressed video. I once recorded Crysis at highest settings through FRAPS and a 5-6 minute run generates a filesize of 4gb. :shock:

Just wondering what the whole game would have taken.

pegasus

Journeyman
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 @ 11K
It is Gigabyte's pricing policy, so I cannot tell you why.:smile::smile:
The thing is ASUS products are normally little costlier than their counterparts. Check the Toms Hardware Z68 mobo round up where ASUS and ECS Z68 mobos are priced over $200 and the Gigabyte one is just around $160-$180 range and till provide almost same level of performance. Its build quality is also superb.

Here is some pics of it:
*media.bestofmicro.com/,4-5-291749-3.jpg
But apparently Gigabyte Z68 boards don't have Virtu/Quick Sync and IGPU video out. Is that true? If that's true, then its the same as a P67 board with no added advantage.
The board I've suggested is having all the things u r asking for. It does come with 1 DVI and one VGA output. Check the images I've posted.
Cilus sir - some n00b hacked your id?
You suggested UD3R- mobo pic you gave is of UD3H.

Have seen most people use at least 60GB or bigger SSD for OS and stuff.
And then without all the features and no support for even Sandy Bridge integrated GPU, a Z68 motherboard will be no better than a P67 one, if both are used with the same/similar SSD for OS? :confused:

Specs:
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 (rev. 1.0)

No support for Virtu/Quick Sync. Can't find any mention of IGPU video out either.
Yup, checked again- thanks- that makes it clear.

tkin

Back to school!!
Gigabyte Z68 = Gigabyte P67 = Hence cheaper than Asus Z68.

Gigabyte engineers are drunk probably? Not a single board with display? What? They thought we want Z68 because of ssd caching?

OP
nginx

nginx

In the zone
here are some more recommendation:
Linksys E3000 @6.3k,
Linksys E3200 @9.5k,
Linksys E4200 @11.3k,
Linksys WRT610N v2 @7.3k,
LaCie Wireless Space (1TB) @14.8k,

I suggest go for E4200 model if budget is not a pro else go for E3000. PrimeABGB and ITDeopt over priced so ignore those link. Though my given price is not accurate(lowest price you can get in market :Fingerx: ).

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I haven't looked into them in details yet but just an overview of the specs. None of these really have the "bang for buck" if you know what I mean. Paying 11.5k for a router is not gonna happen.

I think the Asus RT-N16 is a monster for ~6k. It blows away any other router within 8k in terms of sheer specs and performance. I will research on it some more but at the moment, it seems like an obvious choice to me. Let's just say I have made up my mind :D

nginx, GTX 560 Ti is no match for HD 6970 and even non OCed HD 6950 beats the standard overclocked GTX 560 Ti in almost all scenarios. MSI Hawk version is not available in Kolkata and the twin frozer II/OC is available @ 14.2K. Now the standard Sapphire HD 6950 2 GB is available around 14.2 to 14.5K in M.D. Compuetrs and the MSI Twin Frozer version is available @ 15K. So HD 6950 is a far better choice. It also consumes less power than 560 Ti. Oced version of GTX 560 Ti consumes a lot higher power than HD 6950.

The comparison benchmarks between the 560 Hawk, 6950 and 6970 seems to vary widely depending on what site you visit. I clearly remember tkin and I were discussing a couple of weeks ago how the GTX 560 Hawk is beating 6950 and even the 6970 in certain games. So its a coin toss if you ask me. My primary reason for sticking with NVIDIA is PhysX and CUDA.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
was that RAW video Skud?

Fraps record only RAW video only. Definitely its a full version, free version record only 30 secs of video. Check this - there's not much settings to choose:-

FRAPS show fps, record video game movies, screen capture software

The filesize is big because there isnt enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. After you have finished capturing you can convert the clips into a compressed format using a video editing program.[/qoute]

Its a 3.2 version, don't know about newer version.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
my bad,I got confused between image and movie lol

you should update to 3.4.5

ironically MSI afterburner is free and supports various formats for movies(MJPG,RVT1 and uncompressed).

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never tried Afterburner but the quality of FRAPS is awesome. Real WYSIWYG. :D

Top Bottom