BSNL to start 3G services by Dec. 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreams

Gracias Senor
Finally good news for us..BSNL takes the lead from private players.

State-owned BSNL has set an ambitious target of starting next generation 3G mobile services in December to take a lead over private operators and has placed the purchase orders for the northern, eastern and western zones.

In a communication to all chief general managers of telecom circles or districts, BSNL has asked them to take further necessary actions at their end so that 3G services are launched by December, 2008. While announcing the 3G policy, communication and IT minister A Raja had given the advantage to telecom PSUs BSNL and MTNL of allocating 3G spectrum ahead of others with a condition that both will pay the price equivalent to the highest bid.

This was done keeping in mind the cumbersome process to procure equipments by the PSUs vis-a-vis by the private players.

"The 3G Purchase Orders (POs) issued earlier by the circles of north and east zones were kept in abeyance because of non availability of 3G spectrum. As the 3G spectrum has now been allocated to BSNL, the 3G POs will become effective from the date of issuance of this letter (August 11, 2008)," BSNL said in the letter.

Whereas for the western and southern zones, the POs for 3G equipments has been placed with the ITI under reserve quota. While releasing the radio frequency for the PSU, the Department of Telecom (DoT) has said that one time spectrum fee at a price equal to highest bid as determined in respective areas is payable by BSNL.

"Further, BSNL is also to pay annual spectrum usage charge of 1% of adjusted gross revenue (AGR) after a period of one year from the date of earmarking of frequencies that is August 8, 2008," BSNL said.

While allocating the spectrum in 2.1 GHz band to BSNL, the DoT has said that "In case any harmful interference to any of the existing operations on the allocated frequency spots, suitable remedial measures including shifting of the carrier would be taken."

The government, which announced the broad guidelines of the 3G policy on August 1, said MTNL and BSNL would be allocated one block each in Delhi/Mumbai and rest of the country, respectively. The spectrum has been reserved for them and they just would have to match the highest bid after the auction for private companies is completed. This would give the PSUs a first-mover advantage of a minimum four months over private sector rivals.

SOURCE - Times of India

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Also i some ad in newspapers that they are providing 2mbps Unlimited for just rs 550 /- :shock: you need datacard or something for this..

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Also i some ad in newspapers that they are providing 2mbps Unlimited for just rs 550 /- :shock: you need datacard or something for this..

WIMAX.

Till now wimax has not establised itself completely. In short, i suks, but has huge potential in the near future, and a lot of room for improvement.

clmlbx

Technomancer
good but anyone thought about the tariffs of 3g (video calling)....Rs 10 per minute at least

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
That's what I'm afraid of. We all are clamouring for 3G to get launched but at what price it'll get launched, no body know. GPRS is still not quite affordable to use, despite providing pathetic speeds. Hopefully we'll have money left over for food and clothing after paying for 3G.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I think the prices will be high at the launch & it won't be unlimited like GPRS :(

Hope Airtel launches 3G and the price of Mobile office drops to Rs.5/day :)

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
As said in the Tarrif, it depends on network signal strength, and number of users online accessing it, which would mean definately slow net due to large number of users , ie the connection will be shared :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom