Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
*ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RPF1KQB2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

A collection of short stories. One of them is even half page.
Very much liked.
Anyone, who wants to read Jeffrey Archer should start from his short stories first then his novels (Not a penny more, not a penny less is first of all novels to be read)

BUT, I quite liked his "36 Short Stories" book more interesting and versatile in taste.
*img.flipkart.com/bk_imgs/053/9780006514053.jpg

Now reading, Marker by Robin Cook.
*www.astromich.ch/marker.jpg

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Marker 7.5/10

Well finished marker a few days ago, couldn't get time to write about it. Its in the league of "Next" by Michael Crichton. Based on same concept that is what can go wrong if gene mapping is actually starts happening in corporate level, how it can actually harm us etc.
Though it does not touch all diff. topics as like in Next but it sure has a gripping story, good enough to be called a thriller. Could actually made into a nice movie. Next is too much tech babble whereas Marker is a novel on same concept.
Only complaint it starts very slow, and has the bad habit of giving un-necessary information to reader, why would I need to know, whose grandfather used to do what, which may actually helps explaining the situation of a certain character, but taking 20 pages for that is nonsense.

13 Problems-Agatha Christie Awesome!/10
*www.agathachristie.com/cms-media/uploaded-images/thumbs/13_problems_jpg_235x600_q95.jpg

13 Short stories by Agatha Christie, all of them are so awesome, I'm getting addicted to this author.
Try it...

Now, off to reading "Great short stories" by Anton Chekhov. I've heard so much about him, but got the chance of reading him first time.
Anyone having any opinion on his stories?

tech_sword

Right off the assembly line
hello wise old owl m a new member on dis forum.....
Sm of the awesm nobels which i hav read are:
Deception Point
Angels n Daemons
The White Tiger
Two States

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.. awesome book, Marvin rocks!!
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawkings (you need to know basics of Physics)
Lord of the Rings - Awesome, awesome fiction!

slugger

Banned
Books I've read in the past couple of months - all highly recommended

J.N. Dixit's India - Pakistan in War & Peace

Ayesha Siddiqa's Military Inc.: Inside Pakistan's Military Economy

The Making of the Indian Atomic Bomb: Science, Secrecy and the Postcolonial State

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
DORK by Sidin Vadkut
*img.infibeam.com/img/bd755d03/496b1/67/115/P-M-B-9780143067115.jpg

After the release of "Five Point Someone" everyone wrote a novel on a looser in a college. That was engineering and this is Management (MBA).

But, let me assure you this has only that much similarity in concept or what u want to call may be creating ground.

The story is presented in a diary like manner, starts with our protagonist getting a job in consultancy and ends in a...well, lets not spoil ur fun.

I was browsing through the books and came to this, read first two pages (about DORK and Preface) and decided I need to read this. I guess my decision was right. Very much enjoyed the reading. Even liked the way things are told. Imagine a character who lies to his diary too (those who here writes a diary may know what that means).
Subtly and innocently the facts are revealed in the story. How a fresher copes with project pressure and manages office politics etc. Well you have read/seen all these but I assure you not like this.

Highly recommended to all for a nice, lazy weekend read. Low price and lots of laughter, u won't regret.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Not a big reader. Do try and read now and then. So this is what I read in the past 6 months.

Five Point Someone, One Night @The Call Centre, Three Mistakes of My Life and Two States by Chetan Bhagat. Yeah he is over-rated but so is everything mainstream and popular.

Angels and Demons, The DaVinci Code, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Amazing novelist IMO. Reading Digital Fortress right now (started yesterday... gripping book). Will get Deception Point soon :).

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Even I dunno how I survived the books. Part of the reason why I read the whole series is because I am a hyper guy and I always want to know what happens at the 'end'. So I read it. Other reason is coz my GF was bugging me to read it :|. Also read The Host on her request. Put it down after reading 150pgs. Couldn't survive any further.

PS :- These are all my views. Others may like what I hate and I may hate what others like :).

red dragon

Master troll
Fountainhead-Ayn Rand,most of you have probably read it long ago,but those who have not,please give it a try.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Even I dunno how I survived the books. Part of the reason why I read the whole series is because I am a hyper guy and I always want to know what happens at the 'end'. So I read it. Other reason is coz my GF was bugging me to read it :|. Also read The Host on her request. Put it down after reading 150pgs. Couldn't survive any further.

YA even i read all the twilight series since my girlfriend wanted me to read them :cry: . Did you read Mid night sun , this novel is written in Edwards point of view which i thaught was better . Anyway how is The Host , if its another vampire romance then i am not going to touch it .

Now i am reading Dead until dark , which is also a vampire romance but for adult audience . Better then Twilight series . It is same as the HBO True blood series .

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
YA even i read all the twilight series since my girlfriend wanted me to read them :cry: . Did you read Mid night sun , this novel is written in Edwards point of view which i thaught was better . Anyway how is The Host , if its another vampire romance then i am not going to touch it .

Now i am reading Dead until dark , which is also a vampire romance but for adult audience . Better then Twilight series . It is same as the HBO True blood series .

The Host is a fictional love story. Kinda like Twilight. An alien species infilitrates earth and takes over humanity. The aliens actually occupy the humans themselves and try to act like them while the true human soul lies dormant in the body with this species.

In this tale, the main protagonist is also injected with one of this but she is strong enough to fight back and keep her control over her body. Atleast on the cognitive part. Then even the alien gives in and starts listening to her and they both set out to find the lost lover of this girl and blah and blah and blah. Don't expect any action. There ain't any.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Then even the alien gives in and starts listening to her and they both set out to find the lost lover of this girl and blah and blah and blah. Don't expect any action. There ain't any.

Then it seems not to waste time on this one although the plot sounds interesting !

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Love over Coffee by Amrit N. Shetty
*www.penguinbooksindia.com/upload/love%20over%20coffee.JPG

A fiction on romance in office and other office politics. Totally dedicated to IT offices and their cultures, so a few of us who are working in such organizations may like it, rest of all....well the author had to explain certain terms and situations prior to lay the plot.

About the book, well, not very tidy and funny to read. Certain sections are good but not great. I would rate "DORK" better that this any day. DORK was natural but this is not.

6/10

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
Michael Collins Piper's The Final Judgment
*ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41v-HXU8%2BLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

for those who have the stomach for how international events work and how commoners are fed the loony.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Reading The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene. One hell of a book.
Digital Fortress was an amazing book too.. finished it in one sitting..

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The Sign of The Cross
*img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n46/n230876.jpg

Another conspiracy theory book on Jesus Christ. Good thriller but comparing to The Da Vinci Code this has less history and more chase sequences.

Good read but I didn't like the author's style of storytelling. At the end of each chapter he would write what the next chapters is going to contain.

Like at the end of a chapter few people climbed up the hill and his finishing line would be "only if they knew not all will come down alive"...

Initially it was good and keeps you anxious on what really is going to happen, but for a 600+ page book the chapters are more and it becomes repetitive. At a time I started hiding the last line just to keep my surprise intact :-?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ok guiz, im suggesting some sci-fi books that can be called gaming fiction. Arcade, Killobyte and Psychodrome. All of these are books written around computer games, and Killobyte is the pick of the lot.

has anybody read the Foundation Series ? Issac Asimov ??
author of I-Robot (book).

i was telling a guy what good books i have read. this crossed my mind. i have thought about it many times. this is the first time i ask anybody other than myself. had read it a looooooooooooooong time ago.

in the foundation series (6 books i guess). the protagonist (a professional comedian) tells a supercomputer his jokes. and asks the computer for relevence between all jokes and what makes humans laugh.

after 2 years of telling jokes to the computer and almost infinite amount of calc by the comp. the answer is found. the computer warns the person not to hear the answer and if made public humans will never be able to laugh again, he obviously insists and the ans is reveled (not to us)

in the novel the person did not revele it to the public and the computer was made to forget all the jokes and told never to do such calc again. he died crying alone in his house due to lack of peace of mind.

is this possible?????????

try to tell what makes u laugh. we all know programming logic. think about it logically.

i will give my opinion after some time.

Top Bottom