Best bang for the buck Laptop for Under 30K

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Guys,

Laptop arrived today!! (as usual, excellent service by flipkart)

I'm typing this post from the laptop-just started using it for 1 hour-

Quick First Impressions:

1. It's definitely much more compact than I expected - I was thinking it to be much more heavier and larger - but the form factor is quite nice and compact and it weighs lesser than I expected

2. Lots of bloatware comes pre installed - gotta uninstall them all

3. Color calibration on the monitor is not upto the mark - Gotta fine tune it

4. The design of this pavilion is new - it dosen't look like the previous gen pavilions (I'll upload pics in the detailed review)

5. There is VERY little noise from the laptop - I had to press press my ear against the laptop to hear the fan working

6. After using for 1 hour (and running lots of applications), there is very little heat - only the left edge of the laptop (where fan vent is situated) is mildly warm - I'm using it placed on my lap and it's no problem. HP coolsense is enabled by default.

7. Multitasking is very good - Opened a lot of applications - HD video in WMP+Multiple tabs in google chrome (incl some youtube videos) + downloads in the browser - and I'm able to seamlessly switch between them all - performance is zippy

8. touchpad is also good - with gesture enabled controls - 2 finger scroll, pinch to zoom etc - the mouse buttons are also good with a positive feel while clicking, the buttons are firm with no false clicks in between

So thats it guys - Expect the detailed review thread this weekend, after I test it's capabilities exhaustively

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
waiting for the full review. btw can you check the battery life under light use (playing movie at 50% brightness). also what is the battery capacity?

anoopjylive

Broken In
Hey bro.I am a newbie here.But though was surfing net to get a lap and came across your thread.really epic story there. :lol: . And now its like i am on the apex of suspense.
I am too curious to know about the detailed review (suspense climax i would say :-D) and of course pics of your new lapper. Hope you would end this suspense soon. :wink:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
congratulations bro !!!

good first impression but before your detailed can you just tell 2 things

1) crossfire score of 7670m and 7640g in 3dmark11 gpu performance
(itching for this for a long time )

2) please tell whether the hdd is 7200 rpm or 5200 rpm

3) how is the display quality is it comparable to the samsung lappy you viewed at the store

thanks bro rest you can cover in the detailed review .

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
waiting for the full review. btw can you check the battery life under light use (playing movie at 50% brightness). also what is the battery capacity?

Hi sam,

Will definitely test this out and let you know! Currently I'm charging it to 100% ~ My rough guesstimate is that mid brightness + power saver mode will return at least 3.5 - 4 hours. Let's see if I'm right.

congratulations bro !!!

good first impression but before your detailed can you just tell 2 things

1) crossfire score of 7670m and 7640g in 3dmark11 gpu performance
(itching for this for a long time )

2) please tell whether the hdd is 7200 rpm or 5200 rpm

3) how is the display quality is it comparable to the samsung lappy you viewed at the store

thanks bro rest you can cover in the detailed review .

1. I have to download 3dmark11 as I don't have it! Don't worry it's definitely in the to do list for my review

2. FK lists it at 7200 but hp site says 5400 - I'm guessing 5400 rpm as stated by hp - any way to confirm this apart from taking out the drive?

3. Samsung is definitely better - much brighter display and better color reproduction - plus it is a matte screen display

-- off to bed guys! good night!

rish1

Cyborg Agent
check the model no from device manager and look up on google For Specs from official site.

ok bro no problem..

i guess i'll just have to wait for the detailed review then .

bye take care enjoy the lappy.,

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
*tbreak.com/tech/files/3dm26.png

its the same laptop Games Goblin has ordered :)
source

but rememnber the GT640 was coupled with a Core i5-2467M @ 1.6GHz

rish1

Cyborg Agent
dont knw why but sam your last post went over my head .
are you trying to say that the g6 provided by you in source is same as games goblin . Then no because g6 2000 series is 2012 (june onwards ) edition and that is 1 series means 2011 edition.
Secondly it has no usb 3 , chiclet .
I gave you the link for g6 2000 series video in the trinity thread.
and you saying it has 640 and i5 . But it has amd apu and dgpu.

I think you have provided the wrong link for source
or i am completly going nuts at 3:30 am for not sleeping for more than 3 hrs in the past 40 hrs...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
oh missed it completely :oops:

GT640 is keplar based that beats AMD GCN. So how can we hope a 2gen old GPU beat latest GPU. if it beats GT630, its goal is accomplished. but AMD have to look into the drivers and stop acting like a bunch of lazy dudes.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
oh missed it completely :oops:

GT640 is keplar based that beats AMD GCN. So how can we hope a 2gen old GPU beat latest GPU. if it beats GT630, its goal is accomplished. but AMD have to look into the drivers and stop acting like a bunch of lazy dudes.

bro amd trinity a10 + 7670m is 2053 in 3d mark 11 gpu
while 650m has 2097 .
3d mark 11 score is 1750 for 640m and i am sure g6 will score 1800 in dual channel .
Ofcourse bro its 1st gen but dont forget its 2 cards in addition 1st gen vs 1 2nd gen .

Lets wait for gg score..

And 1 more thing i contacted hp dealer on phone and he quoted the price as

basic - 30k
vat 5 %

total price for this lappy Rs 31500

why did he say basic price i guess thats because we can get this lappy for 30k without bill.

But that would void my warranty then i guess . Still 31.5 k is a great deal its 1200 bucks cheaper than flipkart..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
bro amd trinity a10 + 7670m is 2053 in 3d mark 11 gpu
while 650m has 2097 .
3d mark 11 score is 1750 for 640m and i am sure g6 will score 1800 in dual channel .

don't know why but i don't trust these synthetic benchmarks at all. rarely do these tell the real story.

Ofcourse bro its 1st gen but dont forget its 2 cards in addition 1st gen vs 1 2nd gen .

and thats the catch. 2 GPU = problem. most of the time there will be driver problem. games will use only 1 GPU. games performance will degrade cause it has to use 2 GPU. games will show artifacts or strange colour.

if AMD doesn't put the effort to make dual graphics bug free, most will be happy with single graphics.

And 1 more thing i contacted hp dealer on phone and he quoted the price as

basic - 30k
vat 5 %

total price for this lappy Rs 31500

i'll contact a local HP dealer whenever i get time. Hope the price is same here.

why did he say basic price i guess thats because we can get this lappy for 30k without bill.

But that would void my warranty then i guess . Still 31.5 k is a great deal its 1200 bucks cheaper than flipkart..

Windows 7 Home basic <--- is this what he meant? 31.5k is a nice price and that means other shops should sell it for 30-31k as showrooms price laptops higher than normal always.

Freakyvips

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a laptop and I have shortlisted 2 laptops:

HP Pavilion G6-2005AX - AMD A8-4500

Samsung NP300E5Z-S08IN - i5-2450/4GB/750GB/1GB graphics (520MX), 6hrs battery backup

I'll be using laptop for normal usage- MS Office, casual gaming, Visual Studio and some Business Intelligence softwares.

Please give your suggestions.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Yeah i know bro these synthetic benches are not rosy as they seems. But even if it works in 1 game like max payne 3 its a huge huge win . Though a i5 and 640m will always be better than xfire... But i like free performance at cheap price.

His shop is probably smaller than your avg bedroom . Very little space and absolutely no displaying models. Though he'll show the product himself But his shop is filled with only hp products ranging from lap,pc.printer, everything.
Got his no. From hp india site.
And i am sure bro by the time this product is available in other local shops it will be another 3 to 4 months.
Its hard to sell an amd to people. Its only a few of us who know about amd will ask for it. And these local guys will push you for dell or vaio . I went last year with my friend to see hp dv6 with i5 and amd at his store.
When we went to the main market of computers of my city , to compare prices everyone said no and told us we wont get here because only they import those products. And if a product gets popular only then they start keeping them.
Though i'll check another hp dealer for comparison.

Now just waiting for games goblin review.
Yeah i also thought that basic was home basic and upon asking him what does basic mean he said basic price 30k vat will be additional 5 % total cost will be 30k plus 1500 for vat.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a laptop and I have shortlisted 2 laptops:

HP Pavilion G6-2005AX - AMD A8-4500

Samsung NP300E5Z-S08IN - i5-2450/4GB/750GB/1GB graphics (520MX), 6hrs battery backup

I'll be using laptop for normal usage- MS Office, casual gaming, Visual Studio and some Business Intelligence softwares.

Please give your suggestions.
Samsung 25% better processor wise.

HP is 100% faster graphics wise and has much better battery life thanks to A8-4500M.

Depends on what you want really. I'd take the HP one as it is more balanced.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
6hrs battery backup

i seriously don't get this part. similar laptops give 3-4hr battery life with exactly same configuration and a 56Whr batter. maybe Samsung is pointing to extreme idle time i.e. turn laptop on, decrease brightness to absolute minimum and keep it like that without touching :cool:

Yeah i know bro these synthetic benches are not rosy as they seems. But even if it works in 1 game like max payne 3 its a huge huge win . Though a i5 and 640m will always be better than xfire... But i like free performance at cheap price.

if enough laptops appear with dual graphics then AMD may fix drivers. Lets see if Catalyst 12.6 drivers help in any way.

And i am sure bro by the time this product is available in other local shops it will be another 3 to 4 months.

i hope it appears soon in local stores. HP showroom demand lot more than local shops.

Its hard to sell an amd to people. Its only a few of us who know about amd will ask for it. And these local guys will push you for dell or vaio . I went last year with my friend to see hp dv6 with i5 and amd at his store.

yup. most will openly suggest to go mainly for Dell as well as Sony cause these bring in more revenue.

Top Bottom