Best 3rd gen i5 or i7 laptop ?

far

Keep Going!
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

50K- 60K INR (Max)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Light; 14" screen or
Mainstream; 15" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: SONY ,DELL, HP, LENOVO
b. Dislike:ACER ,ASUS ,SAMSUNG

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Coding ( Java ,.NET, Android, IOS developement ) , Browsing , watch Videos.

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

Not sure about this... need suggestion on this as well.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

I would may be prefer 3rd gen proccy with i5 or i7 ( not sure ), mainly with low or no heating as I will be working long hours.. AND with Pre installed OS.

I have looked at Dell 15R SE..but still waiting on other brands to launch the 3rd gen i5 or i7 to get a competitive price....

I shall wait may be only a month...but if any good models are expected beyond one month I shall wait for 45~ 60 days max..

Guys.. give me ideas... Thanks...

PS : I have reposted this from buying advice as I felt it would be rather appropriate here....

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
New Dell Inspiron 15R
It is under your budget, you would get new 3rd gen ivy bridge core-i5 processor with HD 7670M integrated graphics, 1 TB HDD, 4 GB Memory (one free slot to expend 8GB), genuine pre-loaded windows 7 64 bit, HD LED screen and upto 4 hours battery life.
You should go for core-i5 in you budget model as ur budget is not for a decent core-i7. After sales is pretty decent.
Hp is going to update and launch new ivy bridge laptops lineup within a month or so, take a look on it too.

OP
far

far

Keep Going!
the 3rd gen core i5 would suffice for my usage ..right ?... what are the advantages of going for i7 over i5 ?.. Anything drastic ?..I doubt though...

rider

as Kratos
Hmm.. whats the starting price range of 3rd gen i7 ?.

Dell Inspiron 15R SE with core-i7 comes in 58.8k (included all taxes and VAT)

People are grabbing Asus models because they prefer pirated windows and all, hence the price is low. Asus was once caught putting pirated softwares in their laptops, may be thats why they don't put OS in their laptop now. :lol:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Asus was once caught putting pirated softwares in their laptops, may be thats why they don't put OS in their laptop now. :lol:

they said about some invalid file getting copied during the installation process from an employees pendrive. Even then they must pay M$ for each and every Windows laptop they sell regardless of it having pirated or genuine OS.

OP
far

far

Keep Going!
He he ..I dont like ASUS laptops anyways...

58.8K :( outta my budget ;(.. 50K atleast I shall manage ... waiting for competitors of 15R SE :p...

Can anyone tell like how to get a central gov employee or corporate discount?. Will there be an option while purchasing online ?..I tried adding one to the cart on dell website..But no options for discount... :O

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
He he ..I dont like ASUS laptops anyways...

58.8K :( outta my budget ;(.. 50K atleast I shall manage ... waiting for competitors of 15R SE :p...

Can anyone tell like how to get a central gov employee or corporate discount?. Will there be an option while purchasing online ?..I tried adding one to the cart on dell website..But no options for discount... :O

This is why, i said get core-i5 model, its great and VFM. I never see any core-i7 model in any brand in 50k price tag ever. Call dell india and talk about discount and all.

perplexed

Journeyman
Not much in real life, but core-i7 is said to be future proof.

Well that's because i7 has turbo boost and Hyper threading both enabled.
i5 only has turbo boost.

With Hyper threading, each processor can handle two separate threads of execution virtually acting as if it is octa core :mrgreen:

i7/ddr3 ram/1GB GDDR5 graphics will rule any thing thrown at it for good 3 years at least.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
"i7/ddr3 ram/1GB GDDR5 graphics will rule any thing thrown at it for good 3 years at least."

Depends the card powering the 1 gb gddr5 if games are considered :p a gt 210 with 1 gb gddr5 won't be of much help now will it? :D

rider

as Kratos
Well that's because i7 has turbo boost and Hyper threading both enabled.
i5 only has turbo boost.

With Hyper threading, each processor can handle two separate threads of execution virtually acting as if it is octa core :mrgreen:

i7/ddr3 ram/1GB GDDR5 graphics will rule any thing thrown at it for good 3 years at least.

I'm using core-i7 from 7-8 months, and it is not as great as expected from papers. :-o
In terms of gaming both produces not much difference in performance there is not nothing drastically about it.
BTW there is no laptop with core-i7 in his budget, don't confuse him.

perplexed

Journeyman
I'm using core-i7 from 7-8 months, and it is not as great as expected from papers. :-o
In terms of gaming both produces not much difference in performance there is not nothing drastically about it.
BTW there is no laptop with core-i7 in his budget, don't confuse him.

Didn't wan't to confuse him but since the issue of being future proof came up so..

anyways, 3rd gen i7 will surely be out of this quoted budget just to make myself clear..

ontopic though, i5 or i7 does not make a laptop 'BEST'. It all boils down to usage. A decent gaming laptop is surely possible if u go with i5 with 4 cores and a decent graphics card like GT640M ( not 640m LE) and 650M or similar cards from radeon..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i7 makes little sense when gaming is in mind. a 2nd/3rd gen core i3 + GT650-660M will match if not thrash most so called gaming laptops with i7 & a mid range GPU. What most peoples don't get is i3 even without HT or turbo is an excellent processor if gaming is in mind. Max should be i5 cause it keeps the end price down and allows for more money to be poured into required areas like a fast GPU and even an SSD. MSI has been following this trend for quite sometime now in their GE laptop series.

A decent gaming laptop is surely possible if u go with i5 with 4 cores

show me a core i5 mobile with 4cores.

rider

as Kratos
4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

His primary task is coding for java and other mobile apps development so 3rd gen core-i5 would be good enough.

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman

I would may be prefer 3rd gen proccy with i5 or i7 ( not sure ), mainly with low or no heating as I will be working long hours.. AND with Pre installed OS.

I have looked at Dell 15R SE..but still waiting on other brands to launch the 3rd gen i5 or i7 to get a competitive price....

I shall wait may be only a month...but if any good models are expected beyond one month I shall wait for 45 ~ 60 days max..

Guys.. give me ideas... Thanks...

Since you will do mainly development related jobs their, a core i7 is the must have. I guess, you will run multiple IDE (VS 2010, sql 2008 etc) at the same time and also their will be lots of browser windows open (to copy-paste-search help... :wink:) you are gonna need those TWO extra cores. Gamers can do with i5 with overclocking as almost no games needed 4 cores of i7 processors (AFAIK and excluding empires or strategic games).

But in ur world you will miss the TWO extra cores whether you work with Adobe suits or rad controls or even jQuery executions.

So, go for i7 even if it is SB (2xxx) with a minimum of 8GB ram (or 6GB) of 1600/1333 MHz depending on you CPU spec and if possible a SSD which will actually make you happy while working on codes for hours. Don't look for any graphics card as you cannot have a all-rounder lap in your budget.

You have to research a bit and can see some brands like Acer or samsung or Asus as the brand you like are all probably not fit in your budget.

One last thing, don't even look for SONY... :-o

i7 makes little sense when gaming is in mind. a 2nd/3rd gen core i3 + GT650-660M will match if not thrash most so called gaming laptops with i7 & a mid range GPU. What most peoples don't get is i3 even without HT or turbo is an excellent processor if gaming is in mind. Max should be i5 cause it keeps the end price down and allows for more money to be poured into required areas like a fast GPU and even an SSD. MSI has been following this trend for quite sometime now in their GE laptop series.

show me a core i5 mobile with 4cores.

i5 with 4 cores!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you Sam... thumbs up

OP
far

far

Keep Going!
as mentioned by rider above get an i5 within your budget... keeping on asking the same question again and again will not help you get an i7 rig for your budget...

I aint asking the same question again and again ... I was asking what is the starting price range of i7 with ddr5 so that i can see if i can boost my budget if at all its worth it..ok?

Don't just post anything just for the sake of it...

people are trying to help each other here and make sure the product we are buying is VFM..

and i would go for i7 if its worth spending the extra bucks as i got about 45 days to finalize my purchase

@sanjay bose...thanks for the info...so its good to go for i7 then...hmmm
but like i said asus,acer,samsung are not my choice...