Basic Usage Laptop (but future proof) under 35K

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Till 35K (already exceeding budget)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Video conferencing (to be used by a teacher), browsing, streaming media consumption, and light weight gaming if at all
(No hardcore gaming, no coding, and no video editing)

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Should have an SSD for future proofing.
So, either 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD OR 512 GB SSD + 0 TB HDD

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Acer, Asus, HP (non Chinese basically)
b. Dislike: Lennovo (since Chinese)

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution -1080p (Full HD)
Battery back up - Doesn't really matter, but more the merrier.
Purchase place - Exclusively to be bought Online (eg - Flipkart, Amazon)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a discussion here about which laptop to buy: All laptop related queries here!!!
Ended up deciding on this nice laptop, thanks to whitestar Acer Aspire 5 Slim A515-43 15.6-inch Laptop (AMD Ryzen 5 3500U qual-core processor/8GB/512GB SSD/Window 10, Home 64-Bit/MSO/AMD Radeon Vega 8 Mobile Graphics). But unfortunately, it's showing undeliverable at any of the saved addresses of mine.
(On a side note, can anyone please check, if this laptop is even available at any address?)

So, now I have to decide another laptop which suits the requirement. Please help.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I did some RnD and made a spreadsheet:

Config.png

I think HP 15q dy0008AU is a clear winner.
I can add an SSD even without removing the optical drive. And RAM of course is also upgradable.
Link: Buy HP 15q dy0008AU 2019 15.6-inch Laptop (Ryzen 5 - 2500U/4GB/1TB/Windows 10 Home/AMD Radeon Vega Graphics), Sparkling Black Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Showing available for Rajender Nagar pin code 110060 & Dwarka pin code 110075 but not for chandi chowk pin code 110006.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think HP 15q dy0008AU is a clear winner.
No chance. It does not have AC wifi, has older ryzen 2500u processor(compared to 3500u & soon to arrive 4x00u) & a TN panel which according to some reviews is even worse than usual. If it was costing ~31k then it would have been value for money but not at its current price.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Then I am stuck. There's no point buying a pricey laptop with specs I can't upgrade later.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Go for Acer Aspire 5 A515-43 as if you need any future-proofing by increasing the budget by 3k more....
As of now, this looks quite good and 1 year later once the Warranty is expired you can add more ram into the system.

4GB RAM and OS Boot from HDD is not so convenient anymore.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Go for Acer Aspire 5 A515-43 as if you need any future-proofing by increasing the budget by 3k more....
As of now, this looks quite good and 1 year later once the Warranty is expired you can add more ram into the system.

4GB RAM and OS Boot from HDD is not so convenient anymore.
Issue is its not delivering to my addresses. Delhi or Surat.

Also the HP laptop can be upgraded to nvme SSD and also RAM.
And it's also available.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Issue is its not delivering to my addresses. Delhi or Surat.

Also the HP laptop can be upgraded to nvme SSD and also RAM.
And it's also available.

Oh...I see,
But HP model processor 2500U is too old - Asking price is the same as 3500U, HP model is no brainer to buy despite if we ignore the RAM & HDD.
It will be good if the price go below 30K like in between 27-28k.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Due to corona, all laptops are going at all time high prices. And availability is also an issue. So as per my requirement if I scale down the processor requirement, then for Core i3, I think I have got a good laptop:
*www.flipkart.com/acer-aspire-5-cor...aptop/p/itmb9f8950eec472?pid=COMFRWT5ZTFRDBGB

Whitestar also recommended me this laptop. And I think it's good instead of that HP one. Especially considering that after discount I can get it for just Rs. 32,490

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes that one seems to be a good choice considering current prices which are really inflated. Just last year in Nov lenovo was selling ryzen 3200u laptop with 512gb ssd for 29k. Btw core i3 8th gen is faster than 3200u & its integrated graphics is also a bit faster than vega 3 of 3200u so overall a better processor than 3200u.

P.S. don't forget to register on acer store to buy extended warranty offer for ~1.2k.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Finally pulled the trigger on Acer Aspire 5 A515-54.
Cost me Rs 32,490.

Thanks whitestar_999 :D:clap2:

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Since its getting delivered 1000 km away from me, it won't be possible to post a first hand review until I get there.
But I will post, even if a few months later.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Due to corona, all laptops are going at all time high prices. And availability is also an issue. So as per my requirement if I scale down the processor requirement, then for Core i3, I think I have got a good laptop:
*www.flipkart.com/acer-aspire-5-cor...aptop/p/itmb9f8950eec472?pid=COMFRWT5ZTFRDBGB

Whitestar also recommended me this laptop. And I think it's good instead of that HP one. Especially considering that after discount I can get it for just Rs. 32,490
*www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-8145U-SoC-Whiskey-Lake.321348.0.html

DUAL CORE :facepalm:

Neo

Why not go for that newly launched Mi Laptop for 41k. U get 10gen i5 500 SSD 8 gb ddr4 RAM and also a nice nvidia gpu. Seems future proof to me and well worth the extra 5-6k

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Why not go for that newly launched Mi Laptop for 41k. U get 10gen i5 500 SSD 8 gb ddr4 RAM and also a nice nvidia gpu. Seems future proof to me and well worth the extra 5-6k

Future Proof Indeed but the price difference is 10k what he paid, also 42k is the inaugural price for 8/256 GB/UHD model until 16th July.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Acer laptop is available for 38k on amazon & comes with ryzen 3500u+8gb ram+512gb ssd+(best part)ips screen while 42k mi notebook model comes with no graphics card & TN panel not to mention its after sales support is yet to be seen & last but not the least, it is after all Chinese(talking about ownership & not manufacturing places) & I know there are no alternatives in case of budget mobiles but at least here there are similarly(& even cheaper) priced options are available from non-Chinese companies so why not take them.

Reactions: Neo
Top Bottom