"Balagurusamy" or "yashwant kanetkar"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
I Would Recommend "The C Programming Language" by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie .

The best book on C out there in my opinion.

j_h

Banned
i used "a book on c" by kelly and pohl while i was in university. balaguru is also good.

siddes

Perpetual Fresh Stock
My 2 bits:

1) Nothing can beat raw curiosity. I've referred to almost 20 books (all downloaded) on VBScrpt, Javascript and other web technologies. And I'm only a hobbyist. If you're really serious, scour C/C++ forums. You'll learn a lot.

2) Forget the language, get your logic right. By which I mean be really really good at flowcharts. That's how I do it. C/C++/C#/Vb etc are just different notations of representing essentially the same logic. Till you don't get that right, nothing's going to help.

chandru.in

In the zone
Just a note. Flow charts don't help much in OO programming. They can in fact kill OO thinking altogether. UML is more suitable for OO programming.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
lol...nice thread, me too in 1st yr engg, and am in a similar dilemma. :0

red_devil

Back!
hmmm...everyone starting out their engg. course/ any other course seems to be confused with the choice of the book...

i'll try to put things in perspective :

1> you just want to pass your engg./ any other course exams, then Balagurusamy is your best bet :D

2> you want to "learn" about C/C++ {in the language constraints sense} then Kernighan and Ritchie (K&R) is your best bet {the book cost approx Rs 100 _FYI}

3> you want to get going with C/C++, then learn the language constraints from K&R and then start working out on your own and if and when you do get stuck up with any program, ask someone {friends or post it here on thinkdigit forum or any other forum you want }

SO now its upto you to look at yourself as to which amongst the three categories you place yourself in {or if you place yourself in some other category then please post here so that i can add into the list :D } and then proceed.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
+1 for Yashwant Kanetkar

jus remember everyone is not trying Arch Linux or master in programming ....so if some book tells basics to noobs ..first u shud try it adn then move on to more advanced books ....and reading on PC is a pain in the a**..so go and buy physical copy of Kanetkar ..read the basics and practice on ur PC

Happy C programming :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@esumitkumar - "Basics" is perhaps a synonym to "TCPL - Ritchie and Kerringhan". Just flip through and you will know. :)

chandru.in

In the zone
I too wonder what is so advanced about K&R. It starts with "Hello world", explains variables, functions, etc, etc. :confused:

Last edited:

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^ I have seen both the books..I think language of Yashwant is much more simple ..

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I think both are written in modern, and a little technical, English. Besides, there's that direct inventor-to-reader feel to it.

K&R is Kapda&Roti for every C Programmer. :)

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^hmm agree..but I still feel Engg grads still relate themselves more to Indian authors :)

and Kapda n Roti..hahahaha :D ..too gud

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^The forum doesn't support piracy and no one will post the link here. Search yourself.

looogk

Right off the assembly line
^^The forum doesn't support piracy and no one will post the link here. Search yourself.

E.balagurusamy book is good... because i used it for both my ug and in MCA and i get passed.... if you want to good basic programmer go for yashwant kanetkar, and do all the excersices and solution book.. or just you want to through away C .. choose balagurusamy :D:D:D:D:D:D

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
C programming - A modern approach ...... by K.N.KING

this book will u help u in advance in future , good programming

Status
Not open for further replies.