"Balagurusamy" or "yashwant kanetkar"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
I Would Recommend "The C Programming Language" by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie .

The best book on C out there in my opinion.

siddes

Perpetual Fresh Stock
My 2 bits:

1) Nothing can beat raw curiosity. I've referred to almost 20 books (all downloaded) on VBScrpt, Javascript and other web technologies. And I'm only a hobbyist. If you're really serious, scour C/C++ forums. You'll learn a lot.

2) Forget the language, get your logic right. By which I mean be really really good at flowcharts. That's how I do it. C/C++/C#/Vb etc are just different notations of representing essentially the same logic. Till you don't get that right, nothing's going to help.

chandru.in

In the zone
Just a note. Flow charts don't help much in OO programming. They can in fact kill OO thinking altogether. UML is more suitable for OO programming.

red_devil

Back!
hmmm...everyone starting out their engg. course/ any other course seems to be confused with the choice of the book...

i'll try to put things in perspective :

1> you just want to pass your engg./ any other course exams, then Balagurusamy is your best bet :D

2> you want to "learn" about C/C++ {in the language constraints sense} then Kernighan and Ritchie (K&R) is your best bet {the book cost approx Rs 100 _FYI}

3> you want to get going with C/C++, then learn the language constraints from K&R and then start working out on your own and if and when you do get stuck up with any program, ask someone {friends or post it here on thinkdigit forum or any other forum you want }

SO now its upto you to look at yourself as to which amongst the three categories you place yourself in {or if you place yourself in some other category then please post here so that i can add into the list :D } and then proceed.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
+1 for Yashwant Kanetkar

jus remember everyone is not trying Arch Linux or master in programming ....so if some book tells basics to noobs ..first u shud try it adn then move on to more advanced books ....and reading on PC is a pain in the a**..so go and buy physical copy of Kanetkar ..read the basics and practice on ur PC

Happy C programming :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@esumitkumar - "Basics" is perhaps a synonym to "TCPL - Ritchie and Kerringhan". Just flip through and you will know. :)

chandru.in

In the zone
I too wonder what is so advanced about K&R. It starts with "Hello world", explains variables, functions, etc, etc. :confused:

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I think both are written in modern, and a little technical, English. Besides, there's that direct inventor-to-reader feel to it.

K&R is Kapda&Roti for every C Programmer. :)

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^hmm agree..but I still feel Engg grads still relate themselves more to Indian authors :)

and Kapda n Roti..hahahaha :D ..too gud

looogk

Right off the assembly line
^^The forum doesn't support piracy and no one will post the link here. Search yourself.

E.balagurusamy book is good... because i used it for both my ug and in MCA and i get passed.... if you want to good basic programmer go for yashwant kanetkar, and do all the excersices and solution book.. or just you want to through away C .. choose balagurusamy :D:D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom