Apple wins $1 billion victory over Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Samsung pays billion, goes back and increases the prices of the hardware they sell to Apple, apple makes their products even more costlier, people pay :|

Anyway, it was stupid on both sides. Apple patenting rounded rectangles(seriously? like rounded rectangle phones never existed before iphone) and touch features is just plain stupid already..so called innovators huh :| and Samsung deliberately ripping off little things like those is even more stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^^heyy no need for that lol
maybe someone should trace all the components of HTC, motorola, samsung, sony, nokia, apple, RIM phones and see where all everything is from. CPU is Arm and Qualcomm, touch screen controller is atmel, synaptics, melfas or texas instruments, pretty sure the wifi, bluetooth gps modules of all phones are from a mix of qualcomm, broadcomm and texas instruments, cameras for samsung, apple and sony is sony, flash memory is mostly samsung with the odball having toshiba, and the glass is all mostly corning. so you can see very much that the companies are all interdependent for components.
obviously all these companies have their own patents for the tech that ends up in other devices, no need to confuse this case with component sourcing

ujjwal007

Lost in games
samsung got trolled anyways they did wrong !! that should be happen sometimes it happens now they have to pay now!! steve worked a lot for the apple!! everything is same in samsung phones as compare to apple icons etc and all!! good news!!

pratyush997

Inactive
seriously apple trolled Samsung......wtf is that amount of $$$$ to be paid by sammy....I wish I could get my refund asap...

bubusam13

Human
I think Apple promised iPhone 5 for each jury members.

Though it seems Samsung copied apple to some extent, I really don't understand why most Samsung touch phones, cheap or costly have almost the same design. Look Sony, HTC, they differs.

nginx

In the zone
Apple is the biggest POS company I have ever come across. They can't legitimately compete against Samsung and so they go cry over to the court jury. Then the corrupt justice system obliges by ruling it in Apple's favor and awarding them a ridiculous scale of damage. I bet my bottom dollars the jury don't have a clue regarding the technology. This lawsuit should have thrown out by the court as it achieved nothing but helped stifle innovation and creativity.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Well not going too deep into legal tangles(!!!???), a rectangle,circle or any other geometrical shape is a generic one for civilisation...I don't know how any company/organisation could claim these as their sole proprietorship?

It is clear now,that "APPLE" or rotten...whatever we call or think off(EXCEPTING THE FANBOYS)has leaped well over Microsoft:windows:,and now it:apple: wants to be THE ONE AND ONLY ONE in this world with brutual monopolistic supremacy.It :apple:wants that it will sell its Hardware+Software at any price (Mainly for the Elite or any ROBBER/THIEF/BURGLAR...etc.);simply put "THOSE WHO HAVE THE MONEY TO SPLURGE".
It:apple: really wants to suck out as much wealth,money,resources from the World with an impeccable lust...:Gator:

Last edited:

Sarath

iDota
Good. Finally. This is a good news for Android users. No more cheap looking iPhone knock offs from now on. Android can stand on its own.

Saw a Samsung Ace yesterday, was another crude but unmistakable copy of the iP4. A pity considering Samsung has the best HW in their phones and their AMOLED is unsurpassed. Instead they should steal some designers from Sony. ;)

I think now we can expect some really good designs from Samsung.

For everyone bothered about the "rectangular blah blah"

The problem is give the two phones to a kid and he will take a second to say one has been copied. But you have to put it in paper so that the jury can decide. So they gave this lame description. It is very clear that they do not have a patent for the rectangular shape with rounded edges. They have a design patent for anything that is rectangular with rounded edges "which resembles the iP or Ipad". I do not see the merit in people overlooking the latter part of the statement.

ajaymailed

In the zone
"Anything rectangular with rounded edges " can be made only by Apple and nobody else. How can that be patented? isn't it meaningless.

tkin

Back to school!!
Ok, I think everyone should patent their mobile shapes, this way apple will be forever stuck to same old same old design, look at Sony, or Nokia, they use new designs, so does Galaxy SIII.

Also the outcome was expected, apple wins, money comes to USA, samsung wins, money goes to korea, no brainier really.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
*www.firstpost.com/tech/does-apples-triumph-spell-trouble-for-android-430772.html

Guys will it really reduce androids phone in the market :( ?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^^At the moment we Indians (mainly those who are not very strong FINANCIALLY/ECONOMICALLY;I myself being one in this category) will be hit at most.
As Apple is targeting "Google" after "SAMSUNG" for ANDROID in particular,all the Tablets below the Rs.10,000/- mark will surely bound to increase its cost by leaps and bounds,in case of paying "ROYALTY" money to Apple.
May be Android phones won't reduce,but PRICES are going to INCREASE for sure...be it from MICROMAX/SPICE/SAMSUNG/VIDEOCON etc. any LOCAL or INTERNATIONAL manufacturers.

Apple wants MONOPOLY--->MONOPOLY--->MONOPOLY--->.....
But it's true this will mark the beginning of their "END".
Think what MICROSOFT was 10-15 years ago,and what they are now( I MEAN THEY ARE ALSO SUPPORTING OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE; also with a reduction of their revenue compared to few years ago).

ajaymailed

In the zone
Good. Finally. This is a good news for Android users. No more cheap looking iPhone knock offs from now on. Android can stand on its own.

Saw a Samsung Ace yesterday, was another crude but unmistakable copy of the iP4. A pity considering Samsung has the best HW in their phones and their AMOLED is unsurpassed. Instead they should steal some designers from Sony. ;)

I think now we can expect some really good designs from Samsung.
may be what your saying is true, most of us didn't like Samsung phone designs or their interfaces, touch wiz etc. Its to do with their hardware, speed and display. Even if Samsung changed the designs it probably couldn't become more uglier than present.

^^At the moment we Indians (mainly those who are not very strong FINANCIALLY/ECONOMICALLY;I myself being one in this category) will be hit at most.
As Apple is targeting "Google" after "SAMSUNG" for ANDROID in particular,all the Tablets below the Rs.10,000/- mark will surely bound to increase its cost by leaps and bounds,in case of paying "ROYALTY" money to Apple.
May be Android phones won't reduce,but PRICES are going to INCREASE for sure...be it from MICROMAX/SPICE/SAMSUNG/VIDEOCON etc. any LOCAL or INTERNATIONAL manufacturers.

Apple wants MONOPOLY--->MONOPOLY--->MONOPOLY--->.....
But it's true this will mark the beginning of their "END".
Think what MICROSOFT was 10-15 years ago,and what they are now( I MEAN THEY ARE ALSO SUPPORTING OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE; also with a reduction of their revenue compared to few years ago).
Micromax, Videocon, Spice or the many chinese makers cannot be harmed by Apple unless they have registered all the patents with China & India and are sure that Courts in India, China or many other Legal Systems of Asian countries will take same decision as in US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom