Apple Pulled Up In Taiwan For Interefering In Pricing

masterkd

Padawan
I don't understand why we are fighting over which OS is better here? After three pages of fighting (um... sorry; discussion) can any of us say that this OS is superior in all aspect? I don't think so.
If you guys want the fact then all the companies tries to earn as much profit as they can, same goes for Apple as well. Some people blaming Apple for their RIDICULOUS price, they should blame Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG as well as they also launch products with ridiculous price tag. Then again some people say Apple products are so expensive because they invest a lot in RnD. For those people FYI Apple also invests similar amount in product promotion and ad campaign etc. And that is one of the major factor to keep Apple products price high. Lastly those huge RnD expenditure does not always help, e.g. iOS7 and mac mini.

So IMO if you want to hate Apple hate it (or any other brand) violating fair trade. Also you can hate Apple for manipulating ebook pricing in the past. But hating them on the ground of whether they produce a good OS or not is not a good idea.

Minion

Conversation Architect
hmm. theres an ad in the bottom of the screen in plague inc. its a 55 rs purchase outright in ios. one example. maybe you ppl are so used to them, you dont even notice them.
when you walk into the store and the sales guy talks about how the android apps are free at best he means piracy and at worst he means ad-supported.
there is a developer page for handling the ads without compromising the experience, there is no such page for ios developers
Advertising without Compromising User Experience | Android Developers

let's anyway just accept that android or every other operating system is superior to ios in every small aspect
still does not give enough reason to hate less than 3% users locally so much, and what is worse is attaching all kinds of belief systems to these few users that make zero sense. its not like apple users are strutting around with a device and proclaiming publicly to apple here, take all our blood. or for that matter blindly voting to congress.
no reason for this at least

Tell me can apple ever provide iphone for 15k, The day they will release iphone for 15k I will buy an iphone but that not gonna happen. I have seen iphone 5c which is a real joke and I am not a either iphone fan or android fan.

Krow

Crowman
I don't understand why we are fighting over which OS is better here? After three pages of fighting (um... sorry; discussion) can any of us say that this OS is superior in all aspect? I don't think so.
If you guys want the fact then all the companies tries to earn as much profit as they can, same goes for Apple as well. Some people blaming Apple for their RIDICULOUS price, they should blame Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG as well as they also launch products with ridiculous price tag. Then again some people say Apple products are so expensive because they invest a lot in RnD. For those people FYI Apple also invests similar amount in product promotion and ad campaign etc. And that is one of the major factor to keep Apple products price high. Lastly those huge RnD expenditure does not always help, e.g. iOS7 and mac mini.

So IMO if you want to hate Apple hate it (or any other brand) violating fair trade. Also you can hate Apple for manipulating ebook pricing in the past. But hating them on the ground of whether they produce a good OS or not is not a good idea.
Fair point. Some posts here are so idiotic that I cannot even bother replying. All these kids want everything for free or less than 10k. If that could happen, then we'd have Apple/Samsung Charitable Foundation for the drooling window-shopper who hangs out on internet forums. These are all big multinational businesses. At the end of the day, all of them are in the business for profits. "I would buy if iPhone was for 15k" is the stupidest thing I've heard. Of course I'd buy G2, Note 3, Nexus 5, One, 1520 and 1020 if they were for less than 15k. Who wouldn't?

Just in the interest of sanity, I'd like to say that I fully agree with pricing concerns, but all of us live in India, which happens to be one of the worst countries to buy anything tech. Due to falling rupee value, high taxes and people's willingness to pay any amount for latest gadgets (70% of the country's wealth is with 10-15% of the population).

Also, most of you children need to grow up. Unless you're the sons and daughters of company owners, you're not going to get the latest gadgets for cheap. :p Secondly, the ignoramuses who think 64-bit architecture is a marketing gimmick should read before mouthing off rubbish. Yes, Luffy, I am talking to you. Anand Chandrashekhar from Qualcomm was transferred out of his post as chief marketing officer for saying the same thing. Qualcomm later admitted that the entire chip making industry was caught off-guard. It's about more than just iPhone 5s. 64-bit is the future of smartphone platforms. Desktops and laptops will lose relevance over time, especially since phones and tablets will be just as powerful in a much lighter package. A7 is the first step in that direction, and sure enough, Samsung and others announced that they'll make the shift later this year.

I know that most of this is going to sound like rubbish to your finely-tuned "Android is great" intelligence, but try and read it to see if it makes sense.

The naysayers that call 64-bit a marketing gimmick don't see the bigger picture. During a joint interview with Bill Gates at an All Things Digital conference in 2007, Steve Jobs famously coined the phrase "post-PC device," defining it as "a category of devices that aren't as general purpose [as a PC], that are really more focused on specific functions, whether they're phones or iPods or Zunes or what have you." Somewhat ironically, the iPhone has become the antithesis of that idea. It's a single, general-purpose device that wants to do everything, so long as "there’s an app for that." It's practically post-post-PC.
With the launch and continued development of the iPad, iOS has become more and more of a productivity tool, to the point where if you don’t require the power of an Intel processor, beefy GPU, and a large screen, you’ll be able to survive with just an iPad for a computer. Apple sees that trend, and it sees that iOS can be a true desktop competitor. The quiet release of a 128GB iPad with Apple specifically calling out AutoCAD support is a good example, and it's impossible to ignore that the company's iWork productivity apps will be free in iOS 7.
Why Apple's 64-bit iPhone chip is a bigger deal than you think | The Verge

Other manufacturers are sure to follow suit with 64-bit mobile devices. Within the next couple of years, more tablets and smartphones will want to cross the 4GB RAM barrier. Qualcomm, Samsung, Nvidia and others are all expected to release 64-bit mobile processors of their own, in many cases based on the same architecture that Apple has licensed from ARM, a British chip-design firm. Samsung is aiming for 2014, and Qualcomm, which acts as a supplier to handset-makers, will soon be trying to convince them to buy 64-bit chips. Little wonder, then, that Qualcomm's press relations team quickly repudiated Mr Chandrasekher's claim that beyond being able to support more RAM, there was "zero benefit" to 64-bit chips. There is—which is why Apple has adopted them.
The Economist explains: Why does the new iPhone have a 64-bit processor? | The Economist

Also, the kind of CPU performance that iPhone 5s has is just amazing. It literally is twice as fast as most high-end Android phones in the market. Just check out Anandtech's review. AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review. And the fingerprint scanner is great too. It's so easy to use that passwords, patterns and passcodes seem redundant now.

Also, Luffy needs to stop with this Bluetooth transfer/file transfer crap. :lol: It was fashionable in 2007, and it's long since been proven that iPhone users don't miss it. Anyway, iPhones and Macs now have Airdrop, which is a lot faster than Bluetooth and works over longer ranges. Also, you can transfer files without plugging the phone to a computer. iTunes has WiFi support, so no need to plug the phone to a computer at all. Even otherwise, most people these days use Dropbox or Google Drive for music and other files. It's not Apple's fault that India is stuck in 2G Internet mode till now lol.

But of course, most of you are still going to say Android is the best. I agree actually, it is the most innovative smartphone platform at the moment. But would I be comfortable recommending a non-Nexus Android? No. Does Google support updates beyond 18 months? No. Easy to trash iPhone 4 for lagging on iOS 7, but it's a 3.5 year old product that got an OS update. Will you get that with Android? :)

There are advantages and disadvantages to every platform. That's the great thing about smartphones. There's one in every budget. Pick what you can afford and be happy. Why laugh at your neighbour for not having "the best"? They have what they like. Jiyo aur jeene do. :D

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
look apple guys also use google services constantly, and despite what you people have heard the two companies actually work closely together

Google Admits New Maps App For iOS Is Better Than Android Version | Cult of Android

no need to hate apple to like android, and its perfectly possible to appreciate the good work of both android and apple.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Fair point. Some posts here are so idiotic that I cannot even bother replying. All these kids want everything for free or less than 10k. If that could happen, then we'd have Apple/Samsung Charitable Foundation for the drooling window-shopper who hangs out on internet forums. These are all big multinational businesses. At the end of the day, all of them are in the business for profits. "I would buy if iPhone was for 15k" is the stupidest thing I've heard. Of course I'd buy G2, Note 3, Nexus 5, One, 1520 and 1020 if they were for less than 15k. Who wouldn't?

I mean to say that will you buy a iphone 5c for its price of 39k which looks same as lumia 520 does similar kind of things that can be archived even by lumia 520,what was apple thinking when releasing this phone which looks like a toy nothing more.
It should not be price more than 15k.

They are dumb ass they will do this kind of thing until they die out.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
i still don't get why does Apple deliberately prices their products skyhigh and make 250%-300% profits.

I am not surprised that you dont get it. :p

hmmmm. there is nothing constructive about this. the 5S is more popular than 5C which kind of proves the opposite of your point.

So few people get that particular point. That IP5C was a damn cheeky move by Apple.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
at best 70% at wirst 50%

IHS: iPhone 5 Costs Between $207 and $238 To Make, Depending On Storage | TechCrunch

The physical teardown reveals that the new iPhone 5 costs between $207 and $238, including all suppliers and cost of assembly, depending on whether you look at the 16GB, 32GB or 64GB model.

That means that margins for Apple are between $442 and $611, not counting expenditures related to shipping, marketing, retail and other overhead.

(442*100)/207 = 213.5%
(611*100)/238 = 256.7%

Teardowns reveal Apple's customary high margins for both iPhone 5S and 5C - Computerworld

The 16GB iPhone 5S costs Apple approximately $199 to manufacture, while the plastic-encased 16GB iPhone 5C runs $173, putting both new smartphones comfortably within the Cupertino, Calif., company's envious profit margins, an analyst said today.

Apple sells the iPhone 5S, its flagship, starting at $649 for a 16GB model sans a subsidy, and the iPhone 5C for $549, just $100 less

(450*100)/199= 226.13%
(376*100)/173= 217.34%

Even if it was a 50% profit, apple will be robbing people.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^Two things.

1. Engineering costs.
2. People buy them at the current price.

Actually add one more. They look better than the Android champ - S4.

EDIT:
Add one more again : You can also calculate as percentage the ratio of selling price to the cost price or its inverse.

sushovan

In the zone
to think of any other product than your own choice as somehow superior FEELS that we made a stupid choice and we avoid this ego-clash with hatred for the other device. Thats pretty much all there is to it.

They look better than the Android champ -S4

Speaks for itself. Comparing the most premium Apple phone with the worst android flagship can make any Apple fan feel that they own superior product. heck, even I can Pit a Lumia 1520 against iphone 5C by this stupid logic and proclaim that that 1520 is way more superior than 5C.

Top Bottom