Apple expensive? I don't think so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brutality9k

2 years ago when digit tested the powerbook G4, they did not even tested it with any PC laptop, there was no point in testing it, no need, a laptop of 1.37 Lakh, when there are so many other laptops for far cheaper prices available. It was given in just a side note, that’s it...., no point to be made here

aryayush said:
You guys don't understand, do you? It's not about the hardware configuration; it is about the package as a whole. Mac OS X has some amazing effects even on an on-board graphics solution, while Vista will require a dedicated video card.

You have any idea about graphics at all. Macbook pro comes with Radeon X1600 graphics card, which is not a low end graphics card from any means. Mac Mini comes with GMA 950 which is onboard, but has enough horsepower & Texel value to run Quartz with full OpenGL 1.5 support, it even has enough horsepower to support Windows Vista Aero interface, & yes Vista aero does runs fine on Onboard GMA 950 graphics just like MacOS X.

aryayush said:
So, you will need a computer with higher specs for running Vista. Now, if Apple can give similar (and in most cases, better) effects in its OS at a low hardware configuration, it is the company's strong point, not a drawback

Try running Tiger on Powerbook G3 & then say how fast is that. You just have a wrong thinking made that Vista requires a high end computer. It runs fine on 3 years old computers running Pentium 4 2.4C with Geforce FX 5700 & 1 GB RAM. better clear this confusion. Vista is made to scale on many hardware configurations; it will perform according to your hardware, in the best possible way

aryayush said:
For example, my SE phone, when connected to a particular USB port on my Windows XP machine for first time, takes a lot of time to be usable because of the drivers that XP installs. On my Mac, it connected instantly the first time I connected it

Good, now tell me, was it detected & added as a removable drive or also as SE wireless Modem. Even if u refuse to install the drivers in Windows XP SP2/Vista, it will act as a removable drive, the drivers are required only for making it act like a modem. Go find out again, if your SE phone works in MacOS as a drive only or also as a GPRS/Edge modem without additional drivers. Also connect it on MacOS X Panther, & the say if it still works as plug & play. If Microsoft relese updated driver packs for Windows yearly, like Apple does with their OS yearly, then we would be having the latest motoKrzr drivers in Windows too

aryayush said:
I am not aware of many laptops the give you the best processor in the world, on-board stereo surround sound, slot loading SuperDrive, light, motion and dual-touch sensors, scrolling track pad, magnetic power connector, built-in camera and hidden mic, a gigabyte of RAM, a complete set of connectivity options (including, but not limited to, Bluetooth 2.0, Wi-Fi and FireWire 800 and 400) and a decent graphics card (the only area where is still lacks a little) for Rs 1,30,000

U need to learn something about laptops. Macbook pro component wise does not costs more than 70K, go figure this yourself. That is the whole cost of the device hardware wise, so I guess rest 60k is either pure profit if they are providing the OS/ application suits free, or has the cost of those apps is hidden in this 60K itself. U are pawned by buying a 1.3l lakh laptop, when u could have bought a far cheaper laptop from dell or HP, with same components. But anyway, u flaunt your laptop, well, we Windows/PC users like to flaunt our bikes, cars etc. Check again, for 1.3 lakh, there are littrally 20 to 30 laptops out there with that configuration from Dell, HP, Acer,Asus & other manufacturers

Dell laptops, Apple Macbook, all made by Quanta :D

Also, i guess u forgot to say how hot Macbook gets, that it is giving so many troubles already in the market, such as fading plastic body and all that. The keypad can work as a finger massaging device

aryayush said:
Well, those laptops do not have Mac OS X or iLife. Heck, they do not even have slot-loading drives.

Yes they don't, cos apple has limited MacOS X to their own hardware limiting the users choice to run it anywhere on any PC, they flaunt that they are good when they are just PCs.

About slot loading drive, u should know it's mechanical, so if the Optical disk goes in, there is no pin or eject button to take it out manually in case it jams, u have to take it to the Apple centre but in case of tray loading drives, there is a small hole to open it manually in emergency

aryayush said:
The problem is that you are accustomed to Microsoft taking a lot of time to update their products and add new functionality. Therefore, it is difficult for you to believe that any company has the capacity of keeping its developers on their toes and staying ahead of their time.

you are saying it like apple does not releases updates for their OS monthly, every software maker does that. Where did u find out the cost of Vista ultimate as $450, it's officially $400

Aberforth said:
I have used MacBook before buying my laptop as my girlfriend was raving about her MacBook 24/7 (maybe it should be called Macitosis, no offense meant :p) and yes, I liked the OS but I bought an HP Laptop with Windows home edition because I got better hardware configuration for less than Rs. 40000 with Windows XP Home, I have better use of those 40000 than get a flaunt value laptop (HP isn't a crap laptop) or even a sleeker OS.

Someone who used his brains, instead of going for flashing things only. Design does looks good, but comon 60K premium for the hardware, Apple must be insane

digitadmin said:
You guys are such kids. It's obvious that both PCs and MACs have their advantages, so just choose one and shut up!

Well said, now can u plz tell these macboys to also shut up & be happy with their choice instead of singing the old tune that mac hardware is better than PC when it's proved so many times by so many members, that it's just over priced PC

Aberforth said:
Should I start older rambling older girls make better girlfriends and guys who date younger girls are immature?
well said man, this is indeed true

tech_your_future said:
Hey where do we Linux users go

Linux is an OS, we are talking about Mac & PC hardware here, and PC literally means Windows

Last edited by a moderator:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
tech_your_future said:
Hey where do we Linux users go :(

Sorry for the omission. I repeat be happy with Mac OSX, Windows, Linux, BSD or whatever OS you got. I didn't know my opinion mattered that much :p

aryayush said:
I am not aware of many laptops the give you the best processor in the world, on-board stereo surround sound, slot loading SuperDrive, light, motion and dual-touch sensors, scrolling track pad, magnetic power connector, built-in camera and hidden mic, a gigabyte of RAM, a complete set of connectivity options (including, but not limited to, Bluetooth 2.0, Wi-Fi and FireWire 800 and 400) and a decent graphics card (the only area where is still lacks a little) for Rs 1,30,000

My laptop cost me Rs.64000/- and had everything you mentioned except Superdrive, magnetic power connector, built-in camera and hidden mic. I don't really miss the former two and I could always get a tiny camera with mic for 5000 if I ever need to instead of blowing Rs.40000/- extra for a configuration with a lower graphics card. Plus you can always check out Dell Latitude or Precision to get all you want.

The fact is Apple is expensive and charges a high premium just like some Sony Vaio models do and a better OS does not justify such a price in my opinion. I have tried SuSe Linux 10 and it has much the same features as a Mac OS X maybe with bit and pieces here and there. I don't like the design of Macbook Pro much, it looks plasticly, I'd rather go for a Sony Vaio or Fujitsu Lifebook if I wanted the flaunt value.

Last edited:

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I really learned a lot about Mac and even Windows in this thread. But that was like the first page only ... After that everyone got pissed and started proving each other wrong. Anyways I think I have gained enough knowledge from this thread and now everything is a repeat.

And well I just want some of you guys to see the "Smug Alert" episode of south park.... it's the 2nd episode of Season 10 ... ;) ... It's gonna remind some of you about themselves.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
brutality9k said:
2 years ago when digit tested the powerbook G4, they did not even tested it with any PC laptop, there was no point in testing it, no need, a laptop of 1.37 Lakh, when there are so many other laptops for far cheaper prices available. It was given in just a side note, that’s it...., no point to be made here
And they were still prising it sky-high in the conclusion, even though it was not even featured in the shoot-out!

brutality9k said:
Even if u refuse to install the drivers in Windows XP SP2/Vista, it will act as a removable drive
No, it won't. Here's a screenshot of the error that pops up when you cancel the installation of drivers:

*img142.imageshack.us/img142/4439/picture2kd7.th.png

Is it so hard to back your comments by fact?

brutality9k said:
U need to learn something about laptops. Macbook pro component wise does not costs more than 70K, go figure this yourself.
Why should I! You are the one who is posting it so you should be the one who should back it up with proof. These are the hardware specs of the MacBook Pro:
Display: 17-inch (diagonal), 1680 x 1050 resolution, TFT widescreen
Processor: 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
PCI Express graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
Hard disk drive: 160GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading optical drive: 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Expansion: One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, three USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot
Video: Built-in iSight camera, DVI, VGA (DVI to VGA adapter included)
Audio: Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone
Ethernet: Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
Wireless: Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme (802.11g); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Input: Apple Remote; full-size, illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor; scrolling trackpad
Video accessories: DVI to VGA adapter included
Hardware accessories: 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery
Name me one laptop that offers all this at 70K. Just ONE.

brutality9k said:
Also, i guess u forgot to say how hot Macbook gets, that it is giving so many troubles already in the market, such as fading plastic body and all that. The keypad can work as a finger massaging device
Yes, it does. And that is because the body is just one inch thick (or should I say 'thin') and it packs in so much horsepower within the slim frame. Apple sets the default fan speed to 1000 RPM. You can download a simple application (Fan Control or smcFanControl) and increase that speed and it becomes actually cool to the touch. There is also a Terminal command for doing it if you do not want to download a 150KB application. In fact, when I enter my house nowadays, I just lower the fan speed to the default and warm my hands. So it actually serves as a useful feature. It may sound like a justfication and you might scoff at it, but it is highly convenient for me. And the problems of fading plastic body have only plagued some of the MacBooks (not the Pros either) and Apple replaces the body if you encounter such a problem. It is a problem that affects a very limited set of users. You cannot expect something to be totally flawless.
FYI, my brother in Kolkata has a Compaq laptop and it has not even been a whole year since he bought it. The colour is totally faded off where he rests his palms.

brutality9k said:
About slot loading drive, u should know it's mechanical, so if the Optical disk goes in, there is no pin or eject button to take it out manually in case it jams, u have to take it to the Apple centre but in case of tray loading drives, there is a small hole to open it manually in emergency
Because the whole process including the injection and ejection of the disk is automatic (mechanical), it is much less prone to being jammed than normal tray loading drives. Plus, it has no easy to break plastic tray. Isn't prevention better than cure? The only advantage a tray loading drive enjoys over a slot-loading one is that it can double up as a glass holder!

brutality9k said:
you are saying it like apple does not releases updates for their OS monthly, every software maker does that.
Yeah, I know that and I NEVER said anything that could be construed as being against that statement. In fact, my whole point was that while Apple releases upgrades to its products on an annual basis, MS does so once in five years.

brutality9k said:
Where did u find out the cost of Vista ultimate as $450, it's officially $400
OK, it still is $40 more than Apple's total OS upgrades since the release of XP.

brutality9k said:
Someone who used his brains, instead of going for flashing things only. Design does looks good, but comon 60K premium for the hardware, Apple must be insane
Again, that statement holds no value at all unless you can show us some proof.

Last edited:
B

brutality9k

aryayush said:
No, it won't. Here's a screenshot of the error that pops up when you cancel the installation of drivers

I wonder, is that Windows XP SP2? or simple XP, cos my W550i was detected as a removable drive (just the memory card part)

aryayush said:
Why should I! You are the one who is posting it so you should be the one who should back it up with proof. These are the hardware specs of the MacBook Pro:Name me one laptop that offers all this at 70K. Just ONE.

Plz read again, i mentioned that Macbook's hardware price is 70k, & they sale it at 1.3lakh. A PC Laptop with smilier config will salefor 90 to 110k

Yes, it does. And that is because the body is just one inch thick (or should I say 'thin') and it packs in so much horsepower within the slim frame. Apple sets the default fan speed to 1000 RPM. You can download a simple application (Fan Control or smcFanControl) and increase that speed and it becomes actually cool to the touch. There is also a Terminal command for doing it if you do not want to download a 150KB application. In fact, when I enter my house nowadays, I just lower the fan speed to the default and warm my hands. So it actually serves as a useful feature. It may sound like a justfication and you might scoff at it, but it is highly convenient for me. And the problems of fading plastic body have only plagued some of the MacBooks (not the Pros either) and Apple replaces the body if you encounter such a problem. It is a problem that affects a very limited set of users. You cannot expect something to be totally flawless.

Wow, u macboys will never admit, apple laptops were burning, all the heat problems, fading problems, but no, for u it's convinient, just bash anything PC/Linux/Windows, thats the policy of Mac users

Yeah, I know that and I NEVER said anything that could be construed as being against that statement. In fact, my whole point was that while Apple releases upgrades to its products on an annual basis, MS does so once in five years.

Windows XP SP1 & SP2, free, relesed in 2002 & 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
brutality9k said:
I wonder, is that Windows XP SP2? or simple XP, cos my W550i was detected as a removable drive (just the memory card part)
LOL! I might even have believed that had it not been for the fact that W550i does not support memory cards. LOL! :lol:
And yes, I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.
FYI, every sort of hardware you connect to Windows XP (or even Vista) requires the installation of drivers first. If you cancel the process, the device simply won't work. I have tried USB drives, external hard drive, camera and my phone. Nothing works without drivers.

brutality9k said:
Plz read again, i mentioned that Macbook's hardware price is 70k, & they sale it at 1.3lakh. A PC Laptop with smilier config will slae for 90 to 110k
What sort of a ridiculous comment is that! Then why'd you say that Apple made a profit of 60K? You should have said 20K. Doesn't developing software cost the company? Plus, I do not know of any MacBook that costs 1.3 lacs. The highest end MacBook Pro costs 1.3 lac, and I posted its specs. Now when I challenged you to prove your point, you come up with such an incredibly lame statement!
Everyone keeps shouting about how expensive Apple is and when it comes to actually proving something, they cannot recommend even a single machine with the company name and model number. Yes, you may get a similarly configured laptop for maybe 120K, but it is completely justified that Apple charges 10K extra for making the sexiest and lightest laptop in its class with one of the brightest displays available in the market, a beautiful backlit keyboard, on-board sudden motion sensors, a much better operating system than Windows crap and a host of professional quality bundled software. My challenge still stands firm, find me a computer that is comparable to a Mac in terms of specs and is 25% cheaper (as gxsaurav suggested), or a laptop that retails at 70-90-110K and is comparable to a MacBook Pro.
Let Vista be released, you'll see the cost of laptops that come bundled with Vista ultimate shooting up. But the price of MacBooks and MacBook Pros that will come bundled with Leopard will actually fall.

brutality9k said:
apple laptops were burning, all the heat problems
Yes, they were. Anything can have problems, but it is really no big deal when they have been fixed. As I already mentioned, my laptop always remains cool to the touch now.

brutality9k said:
for u it's convinient
I told you how the problem was easily fixed and then just added it as a trivial fact that it was really convenient for me that my laptop is warm during winter and I can give my biting hands some relief. Don't try to debate with non-existent points. I did not say that the laptop heating up was, in itself, convenient for me.

brutality9k said:
Apple can't have flaws, right said, it's perfect
You are the one who expects that from Apple, not me. You are the one who is grumbling about small scale reports of a few MacBooks discolouring (which Apple fixed for free). You are the one dishing out already eradicated heat issues as points against how Apple should be perfect and isn't. I mentioned this in my previous post:
aryayush said:
You cannot expect something to be totally flawless.
I never said that Apple is perfect; never ever. A Macintosh is much better than a PC running on Windows, yes - but it is not flawlessly perfect.

brutality9k said:
Windows XP SP1 & SP2, free, relesed in 2002 & 2004
Those were basically bug-fix releases to an existing operating system and added nothing substantial apart from added security. Those were patches, not really upgrades. Microsoft releases an upgrade to a 2001 product in 2007 and charges $400 for it. Apple releases upgrades on an annual basis and gives them for free and at half of the list price to people who are updating from an older version, the total expense being $40 less than Windows. And you still blame Apple; and call me baised and a fanboy! *www.tarmassia.it/muro/emo/smiley-org-rolleyes.gif

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
NikhilVerma said:
And well I just want some of you guys to see the "Smug Alert" episode of south park.... it's the 2nd episode of Season 10 ... ;) ... It's gonna remind some of you about themselves.

yeah dude , smug alert
FYI, every sort of hardware you connect to Windows XP (or even Vista) requires the installation of drivers first. If you cancel the process, the device simply won't work. I have tried USB drives, external hard drive, camera and my phone. Nothing works without drivers.

So wrong just dont write anything to make ur point or ppl wont bother to read ur entire post below,My sony Digicam works when it gets plugged, mp3 player(nano lookalike :D) ,usb joypad,mercury usb drive and many other things.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@aryayush, with XP SP2 many gadgets can be connected without requiring drivers. Two of the things that I had used were bluetooth dongle and SE W800i. Didn't have to install any drivers for either of them.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
aryayush said:

I used a logitech notebook mouse, keyboard, my SE w700i, my joystick, none of them required drivers. It recognised the devices immediately.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I am not talking about manual installation of drivers. The first time you connect any device to Windows XP (or Vista) it WILL install the drivers for it. You just cannot deny it. It has to. No devices can work without the appropriate drivers. Maybe even Mac OS X install them, but if it does, it does do incredibly fast because the first time I plugged all the four devices mentioned above, each of them was recognised immediately.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
My mouse, keyboard and joystick were instantly recognised, it didn't ask for drivers or make me wait at all. I am not talking about Microsoft mouse here.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I have yet to come across a single piece of hardware that was instantly connected and ready to use on Windows XP without installing any drivers. Maybe you have used some program like AutoPatcher to disable the balloon tips in Windows XP and therefore, missed the driver installations notifications. Or maybe you are right that it did not need to install drivers for those hardware. But in majority of the cases, it does.

B

brutality9k

aryayush, u r pawned again

aryayush said:
LOL! I might even have believed that had it not been for the fact that W550i does not support memory cards. LOL!
And yes, I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.

you are clearly lying, W550i has 256 MB inbuilt memory not a memory card, which is detected as removable storage in Windows XP SP2, u can simply select it to install drivers, even if u don't have them, it will skip the Modem part & install as the removable storage

Or maybe you are right that it did not need to install drivers for that hardware. But in majority of the cases, it does.

Something is wrong with your computer for sure, donno, when I connect something in Windows XP SP2/Vista; the drivers are loaded automatically, mostly generic drivers. Sometimes it does ask for drivers on XP/Vista Disk, that’s it.
XP SP2 was released in 2004, there are many devices released after that, everyone will laugh at u, if u say, that the latest device is compatible in Mac when the drivers are not included in Mac, this is how OS for PC works, and they load the drivers when an appropriate is connected. You do one thing, get some new hardware, like scanner, or printer, or something like that & then check, even MacOS asks for drivers. Removable storage are all based on same functioning, a generic drivers works with 90% of such devices

MacOS X is nothing fast in installing drivers, it just loads the generic ones, just like Windows & Linux. U then have the option to install your own new updated drivers. I hope, u don't reply by saying that u can add a new webcam to Macbook & it won't ask for drivers. It is the same with all OS, this is not a point to show your OS as superior

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
aryayush said:
I have yet to come across a single piece of hardware that was instantly connected and ready to use on Windows XP without installing any drivers. Maybe you have used some program like AutoPatcher to disable the balloon tips in Windows XP and therefore, missed the driver installations notifications. Or maybe you are right that it did not need to install drivers for those hardware. But in majority of the cases, it does.

Ya , I guess you are unfortunate to have all the non plug and play devices for XP with you, and they all work with mac. Seems like other users are have fine time connecting their external devices with Xp.

B

brutality9k

tarey_g said:
Ya , I guess you are unfortunate to have all the non plug and play devices for XP with you, and they all work with mac. Seems like other users are have fine time connecting their external devices with Xp.

:D i think u r right, he is one unlucky fellow, who gets all the hardware from such companies which work with apple MacOS X only, as plug & play & they don't work with Windows XP at all, via plug & play

seriously aryayush, where do u buy stuff from, i guess only Apple store. On the first page of this thread i saw that u were trying to connect isight in PC, well gr8, isight is apple product, ofcourse it won't work with PC, but since it doesn't its not the fault of apple insted it's the fault of Microsoft according to u

Aberforth

The Internationalist
aryayush said:

Well my bandwidth isn't fast enough to download Autopatcher in less than 30 hours so I gave up. Since I never get viruses and spywares or have any such problems, I gave up patching up Windows totally. Maybe the hardware you used are so incompatible that they needed drivers, my logitech keyboard, mouse and joysticks were recognised in a flash not even a secs wait time.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
WTF is going on here! You guys are basically saying the same thing that I am saying. I said that Windows XP needed to install some drivers when I connected my Sony Ericsson W550i to it the first time while Mac OS X connected it immediately. brutality9k then said that it does not need to install any drivers and that even if you cancel the automatic installation of drivers, it will still be detected as a removable drive. It did not and I posted a screenshot. I did not say that you manually needed to install drivers. They are automatically installed.

brutality9k said:
you are clearly lying, W550i has 256 MB inbuilt memory not a memory card
You were the one who posted this:
brutality9k said:
cos my W550i was detected as a removable drive (just the memory card part)
I never said that it had a memory card. :lol:

brutality9k said:
when I connect something in Windows XP SP2/Vista; the drivers are loaded automatically
Yes, but it takes time to load them and they is what I said. I never said that it did not load the drivers.

brutality9k said:
MacOS X is nothing fast in installing drivers, it just loads the generic ones, just like Windows & Linux.
I don't know what it does and I couldn't care less. All I know is that all the four hardware devices I connected to it were recognised in an instant. You have not used a Mac so you do not have any idea of how fast it is.

brutality9k said:
seriously aryayush, where do u buy stuff from, i guess only Apple store.
Apple Stores do not sell Sony Ericsson phones, USB drives or Nikon digital cameras.

brutality9k said:
On the first page of this thread i saw that u were trying to connect isight in PC, well gr8, isight is apple product, ofcourse it won't work with PC, but since it doesn't its not the fault of apple insted it's the fault of Microsoft according to u
That was a mistake and I accepted it. And I never said anything about it being Microsoft's fault. It's obvious, when you do not have any points to make, you will bring up issues such as a small mistake in an article (for which I already apologised) and non-existent heating problems. :lol:

brutality9k said:
aryayush, u r pawned again
Yeah, I can surely see that! *www.tarmassia.it/muro/emo/smiley-org-rolleyes.gif
You mentioned a point about Apple laptops being 60K expensive than available laptops and then took it back. You said that MacBooks cost 1.3 lacs. And you have yet to prove any of my points wrong. And you have the gall to say that I am pawned - AGAIN! ROTFLMAO! :lol:
Of course, some things I have said might have been wrong, but all of you bsically agree with me that a Macintosh is much better than a PC. You guys have a problem with the pricing, but I don't see any Mac that costs 125% of normal PCs or laptops that cost 60K more than laptops from other companies. In fact, a Sony VAIO which has lower specs than the current gen MacBook Pros, has Windows XP Pro pre-loaded but has a Blu-Ray drive costs 1.9 lacs. I do not see any people saying that Sony is expensive.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
aryayush said:
But I don't see any Mac that costs 125% of normal PCs or laptops that cost 60K more than laptops from other companies. In fact, a Sony VAIO which has lower specs than the current gen MacBook Pros, has Windows XP Pro pre-loaded but has a Blu-Ray drive costs 1.9 lacs. I do not see any people saying that Sony is expensive.

Aberforth said:
The fact is Apple is expensive and charges a high premium just like some Sony Vaio models do and a better OS does not justify such a price in my opinion. I have tried SuSe Linux 10 and it has much the same features as a Mac OS X maybe with bit and pieces here and there. I don't like the design of Macbook Pro much, it looks plasticly, I'd rather go for a Sony Vaio or Fujitsu Lifebook if I wanted the flaunt value.

You might like to relate the words in bold.

And a 2.XX GHz IntelCore Duo MacBook pro with ATI Redeon 256 MB grahpics card cost about 130000 when you get the same/similarly close configuration from dell for not more than Rs.90000/-. I include specs like 120 GB HDD, Bluetooth, preloaded Windows XP Pro, etc.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It is Intel Core 2 Duo, not Core Duo.
Processor: 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
PCI Express graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
Hard disk drive: 160GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading optical drive: 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Expansion: One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, three USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot
Video: Built-in iSight camera, DVI, VGA (DVI to VGA adapter included)
Audio: Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone
Ethernet: Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
Wireless: Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme (802.11g); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Input: Apple Remote; full-size, illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor; scrolling trackpad
Video accessories: DVI to VGA adapter included
Hardware accessories: 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery
Limited warranty and service: 90 days of telephone support and a one-year limited warranty
Software: Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, iLife '06, Comic Life, OmniOutliner, Photo Booth, Front Row

*img300.imageshack.us/img300/3346/m651sc6.jpg​
And these are the specs of N621624 Dell Precision M65:
Display: 15.4" Wide Aspect Ultrasharp(TM) UXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display
Processor: Dell Precision(TM) Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz)
Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
PCI Express graphics: NVIDIA(R) Quadro(R) FX 350M 512MB TurboCache
Hard disk drive: 160GB Serial ATA (5400RPM) Hard Drive
Optical drive: 8X DVD+/-RW Combo Drive (8/4/8X DVD+RW)
Expansion: ??? No FireWire ports
Video: NIL
Audio: Integrated Audio Controller
Ethernet: Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network Interface Controller
Wireless: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 (802.11a/g) MiniPCI Card; Dell(TM) TrueMobile(TM) 350 Bluetooth Module
Input: No remote, illuminated keyboard, light sensor or scrolling trackpad
Video Accessories: NIL
Hardware Accessories: RJ-11 Modem cable (AP), 9-Cell Li-ion Primary Battery, Dell(TM) Palmrest, 90W AC Adapter
Limited warranty and service: 3 Years Next Business Day (8x5) Onsite Response (Parts + Labour) and 30 Days HelpDesk (Software, Virus, Spyware & Peripherals)
Software: Genuine Windows(R) XP Professional SP2 Edition (English), PowerDVD Software, Roxio Creator Software

The underlined features are where the notebook in question tops the other one.

As you can see, Apple offers a larger screen, FireWire 400 and 800 ports, camera, DVI to VGA adapter, microphone, remote (and infra-red port), illuminated keyboard (with light sensors), scrolling trackpad (supports two-finger scrolling and double-tab capabilities), MagSafe power adapter, motion sensor and 60 additional days of phone support with the product (fourteen extra features).
Dell, on the other hand, provides a better resolution (at which you probably won't be able to read any text on the smaller screen), better graphics card, modem cable, palmrest and two additional years of mechanical support (five extra features).
In comparison, the MacBook pro looks sexier and is thinner and lighter. Both feature approximately the same price with the MacBook Pro being slighly cheaper (Rs. 1,29,999 + tax) than the Inspiron M65 (Rs 1,37,593 + tax).

And that was just the hardware. Including the software takes the Mac on a whole new plane rightaway.

Aberforth, Dell (apart from Sony) was the worst company you could choose to compare with Apple. They have no better pricing. HP, perhaps, would come in a bit cheaper, but it would still not be a large difference.

If you want proof of the above specs, here's the screenshot from Dell's official website:
*img206.imageshack.us/img206/2218/picture2vz5.th.png

It is a shame that though there are so many supporters for PCs and laptops from other companies out here, no one is actually posting anything concrete with proof. Everyone is just posting their opinions around.
And you guys call us, Mac users, fanboys! :lol:

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Macintosh Computers are definitely ahead of M$ Windows,I've watched for myself their demo.With UNIX based OS under the hood,How can you compare MAC with Windows!Compare it with other better OS's like Linux!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom