Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Zangetsu,maybe you are talking about this:
EICAR test file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@rijinpk1,i am guessing your friend used the usual copy/paste method by clicking paste in an empty folder &/or copying files in an open folder on cd when AV was disabled which would trigger the preview feature for some files & therefore the loading into memory.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
@rijinpk1,i am guessing your friend used the usual copy/paste method by clicking paste in an empty folder &/or copying files in an open folder on cd when AV was disabled which would trigger the preview feature for some files & therefore the loading into memory.

cd contained 3 rar files and he extracted it to some folder and finally got paid for the guilty. also i dont think anybody will disable that preview feature anyhow.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
cd contained 3 rar files and he extracted it to some folder and finally got paid for the guilty. also i dont think anybody will disable that preview feature anyhow.

Yes you can disable it. Open Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options.
Click on View Tab and select Always show icons, never thumbnails
Click OK.

this speeds up the loading of explorer (for those who have <=2 GB RAM) and those thumbnails won't get cached on the HDD, saving <100 MB Space.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

The viruses [ infected / malicious files ] were really merciful on whoever has archived those pesky files :D

BTW, still I was not able to find any review of premium Av so I'm a little reluctant about trying this out - I mean if you are a new AV company and you need to advertise your product if it's really good share it at-least on sites like softpedia, download.com etc. so people and some bug name editors can review/test it instead of start selling this on e-commerce website first. So I strongly suspect this is going to be another crap AV and moreover there's no download link for a trial version - at-least not on this page :
*www.premiumav.in/?page_id=1443

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Topgear,see one of my previous post in case you missed it:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/138653-antivirus-guide-user-reviews-31.html#post2007813

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
something good out from bad :D

BTW, what's the difference between ClamWin and ClamAV, anyone ?

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
okey..been using the premium AV for a while...kinda lightweight...and doesn't really nag me around like kaspersky..expect a writeup soon at my site.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I tried AVG Internet Security 1 year license for free, I'll be trying Bitdefender's Free version next.
Does it have any site blocking feature?
is an offline installer available?

any other program recommended for website blocking in the following manner:
the URL of the site blocked should appear in the address bar but the site shouldn't load.

PS: I have used avast also, wanted to try something new for a change,

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
bitdefender free is very good especially for Indian users as it seems bitdefender free display ads/messages to European/US users.the only issue i faced was ~2 weeks ago when a bitdefender free update messed up the PC of users worldwide making it crawl but they fixed it after few hours by another update & i don't think this will happen again.

there is site blocking feature & there is no offline installer which is not recommended anyway for this type of AV.